Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Preety_India

Suggestions for improving my articulation.

7 posts in this topic

I want to be a writer. I already submitted a post to a local bulletin and made some money out of it. I felt better because writing is my biggest passion and my biggest hobby ever since I was a kid. 

I like to write a lot. 

But there is a problem. Because of my brain disorder, my articulation sucks big time. I can't really say things in the best way. I get very robotic about it and say it directly. 

I'm not able to articulate in a poetic smooth flowing or philosophical fashion. I'm weak in this department. 

Ive the passion but I lack  the skill.

Any suggestions on how to improve my articulation skills?

I like how Sam Harris articulates his ideas. It's a bit convoluted and contains a lot of jargon which is a bit unpleasant but I like the delivery nevertheless. 

Suggestions are welcome.. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

2 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I want to be a writer. I already submitted a post to a local bulletin and made some money out of it. I felt better because writing is my biggest passion and my biggest hobby ever since I was a kid. 

I like to write a lot. 

But there is a problem. Because of my brain disorder, my articulation sucks big time. I can't really say things in the best way. I get very robotic about it and say it directly. 

I'm not able to articulate in a poetic smooth flowing or philosophical fashion. I'm weak in this department. 

Ive the passion but I lack  the skill.

Any suggestions on how to improve my articulation skills?

I like how Sam Harris articulates his ideas. It's a bit convoluted and contains a lot of jargon which is a bit unpleasant but I like the delivery nevertheless. 

Suggestions are welcome.. 

@Preety_IndiaPractice practice practice and read lots of books where this writing style is present. Also, there surely must exsist books and courses that are designed for this endeavor. Google and YouTube around, and see what you can find;)

Also, do you mind sharing what the name of this brain disorder is? I am curious:)

Edited by SamC

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

@Preety_India girl, your written use of English is superb, forget the disorder. Ok, alright, naturally, there's always room for improvement in any discipline.  Here's a few things I use in writing, for what it's worth:

Three word lists. Sex is like sunshine, thunder and rainbows. My favourite foods are omelettes, sushi and steaks.

Alliteration. Sensusal suffering sadists. Improvising imperious imps. I often succeed in social settings. I think I thought that I was intelligent.

Five or six sentence paragraphs.

Interjection. Despite my hunger - which was self induced - I held off from eating. I enjoy dressing in pretty clothes, mostly on Sundays, but my boyfriend hates it. My religion (Islam) doesn't allow me eat pork.

Metaphor, analogy and simile. Self developement is like a tomato plant, it always bears fruit. She sang like a nightingale. Skating on thin ice is dangerous, you're skating on thin ice Mr.

Tell a story, beginning, middle and end with punchline. Morality stories are good. Metaphors are good, where the metaphor is realised at the end.

Story tryptich: tell them what's coming, tell them what the story is, summarise or recap what you said. News stories are invariably delivered this way.

Disjointed concepts. She whispered with her cherry red lips and my love blossomed.

Repeated phonemes. What's not anticipated in today's culture will suprise us in future.

I'm sure there's loads more. Practise, practise, practise (three word repeation for emphasis).

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

@Preety_India Well, if you have a brain disorder, the most important move would be to cure that first. Otherwise you are fundamentally limited.

Aside from that, the best way to learn writing is to pick a couple of your favorite authors -- whose writing style and articulation you most admire and aspire to be like -- and read their books sentence by sentence and start writing it out sentence by sentence to learn the structure. Then try writing out your own original sentences in that style. If you do that patiently and diligently you will adopt their writing style. You can combine multiple authors together into some original combination so that you don't come off as a copycat.

It's actually a very simple process. Just a bit tedious.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If you could be more specific about your brain disorder we might be able to give you better tips ;)

I can't disclose my brain disorder(not comfortable with talking about it). I'm sorry about that. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. Very helpful. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today.