Someone here

What's the highest value?

28 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Origins said:

@Someone here

Well, we can discover it together through direct experience.

What is truth to you?
What is happiness?

What are you searching for?
What is your conception of a human and why are you attached to this conception? Can you imagine a human as something else?

Good question. 

Truth for me is direct experience. 

Happiness.. Is freedom from pain and suffering and experiencing good feelings. 

I'm searching for truth and happiness. 

Because I'm human. So I won't be concerned about the highest value of other animals. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

7 hours ago, Origins said:

@Someone here Also, what is a value to you? How do you think it exists in the body versus in the mind? What relationship do you think we should have with our values and what relationship do you think our values have with us and why?

I'm sort of a nihilist and subjectivity oriented. 

I do not think values are objectve. Just like meaning and purpose. 

Each person creates his own set of values and purposes and so forth. 

And no value is higher than other value. Only relative to how it surves different people. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

19 hours ago, Someone here said:

Truth or happiness?

Change the tone and you'll see. 

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

Good question. 

Truth for me is direct experience. 

Happiness.. Is freedom from pain and suffering and experiencing good feelings. 

I'm searching for truth and happiness. 

Because I'm human. So I won't be concerned about the highest value of other animals. 

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

I'm sort of a nihilist and subjectivity oriented. 

I do not think values are objectve. Just like meaning and purpose. 

Each person creates his own set of values and purposes and so forth. 

And no value is higher than other value. Only relative to how it surves different people. 

@Someone here So I'm so far reading that you're not really looking for values per say, but rather this seems to be more about your state of being, referencing point "direct experience" and "happiness", state of being of which encompasses both as opposed to values which would be more about ones philosophical culture / cultural philosophy. 

What is it that you were hoping values could offer you in terms of serving your state of being? Is it because you associated value building as an identity building game which in return would feed you fulfilment and therefore happiness? What kind of happiness if this is true were you thinking you could derive from this greater sense of self? Just a greater sense of self that was lifted by a sense of meaning? What is it about values and meaning that you think will bring you happiness? 

If this is really about yours state of being, why not just focus right there instead or at the very least instead making this activity secondary?

I understand the temporary dopaminergic feeling that value building can give us in the context of facing the perceived suffering of life, but it isn't a complete antidote to any suffering we may be going through. It is important though to provide us with direction to help us psychologically manoeuvre through suffering especially if our state of being is already experiencing suffering. If I am correct in my estimations, I recommend focusing primarily on organic ways of enhancing your state of being that are outside of thought and instead using thought building here which is synonymous to the value building as an indirect way of influencing emotion as the supplementary means of ordering the minds relationship with its perceived sense of self and reality.

What else is at work when it comes to pushing you towards value building? What other sense of gratification, if any?

I believe the highest value is truth, but more so in the Heideggerian way then scientific.

I kind of conceive Dasein as sincerity, and the highest ethic that which acts in its percieved continuity.

Seemingly paradoxically I also am a strong proponent of Hume's Law, which says that "you do not get an ought from an is", but more concisely Hume believed that values are subjective and follows no essential law.

Which is not to say that the judgement is non existent, but that to attribute existence to the judgement's essence is to absurdly assign it with god-like qualities. Which falls in line with general Empiricism and Scepticism for those interested.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?