Someone here

What's the highest value?

28 posts in this topic

Truth or happiness? Or something else?  And why? What are all humans fundamentally searching for? 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

In truth there is happiness and in happiness there is truth. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I dont know what the truth with a capital T is so for now my idea of the highest value is love. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

The highest value is the lowest one.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

1 minute ago, Gesundheit said:

The highest value is the lowest one.

@Gesundheit What do you mean?

5 minutes ago, Tim R said:

@Gesundheit What do you mean?

There's no absolute high or absolute low. It's all relative and arbitrary. "Value" itself is a relative and an arbitrary concept.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Materially: reproduction. Spiritually: uncovering the absolute nature of reality.

As to why? None of us would be here without reproduction. And without the absolute, there isn't a reason for our existence.

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

@LastThursday you never know too much about Reproduction.. 

Jesus was a Virgin birth for instance 

A baby could be floating in a basket somewhere like Moses. Who knows where it came from, if it even came from a womb or by the magic of the universe. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Connectedness

Think "divide and conquer" as a strategy- a common tactic of evil that comes from a primitive defense mechanism called splitting

When people are connected they're not alienated, so the wonderful human qualities are allowed to shine. 

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

47 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

or by the magic of the universe. 

We all are all born by the magic of the universe. But we are reproduced nonetheless. Our bodies are a mix of our parents' bodies. Jesus was in the shape of a man. Moses in the form of a baby.

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

@Gesundheit Yeah but that doesn't nullify the notion of having a "highest value". It might make the value "worthless", but only from an absolute perspective. Yes, it's all striving and yes, when you've reached the highest point you can only go down from there. 

Ultimately, every value will lead towards the value/goal of self-realization and the ending of suffering, the escape from Samsara, to use Buddhist terms. However the attempt of of escaping Samsara is still part of Samsara because one thinks that this will somehow make life easier/better. One is still in the rat race. And everything is falling apart, changing, dying, escaping, fleeting. We want security. 

The highest goal/value is the ending of all suffering

If you got something better, hit me upxD

Find out what YOUR highest value is, then worry about what the highest value of "the world" is. 

"You Create Magic" 

I think value is something personal, so you have to look for your personal biggest value.

And I guess you could also say "love", as many here on this forum would propably say, but that's literally everything so yea

6 hours ago, Tim R said:

@Gesundheit

The highest goal/value is the ending of all suffering

Let's say you've got that, what's the highest value then?

@Gesundheit Then there are no more values left I guess.

At least no more values in our sense of the word. Our values are "valuable" to us because we're attached to them.

So you can still go do your things, but you're not in the least attached to anything at that point.

@Someone here

10 hours ago, Someone here said:

Truth or happiness? Or something else?  And why? What are all humans fundamentally searching for? 

Well, we can discover it together through direct experience.

What is truth to you?
What is happiness?

What are you searching for?
What is your conception of a human and why are you attached to this conception? Can you imagine a human as something else?

@Someone here Also, what is a value to you? How do you think it exists in the body versus in the mind? What relationship do you think we should have with our values and what relationship do you think our values have with us and why?

Edited by Origins

15 hours ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

Find out what YOUR highest value is, then worry about what the highest value of "the world" is. 

14 hours ago, Florian said:

I think value is something personal, so you have to look for your personal biggest value.

And I guess you could also say "love", as many here on this forum would propably say, but that's literally everything so yea

Agreed. Value is subjective. When we say something has value... We must add that it has value to whom. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho