Someone here

What happens in deep sleep?

45 posts in this topic

It seems like Perfect nothingness. As if nothing ever happened and never existed. It seems like there is no consciousness during deep sleep.. It's not even dark, black or empty.. It's so much nothing that even the concept of nothing isn't it..... What happens exactly during deep sleep? Ramana maharshi used to say 'you are closer to your true nature during deep sleep'. 

thoughts? 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

20 minutes ago, Someone here said:

It seems like there is no consciousness during deep sleep..

Is there consciousness in the waking state?

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

2 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Is there consciousness in the waking state?

The waking state IS consciousness. Or at least it's illuminated by your consciousness. The first thing that happenes in the waking state is you regaining consciousness after sleep. 

-Osho

1 minute ago, Someone here said:

The first thing that happenes in the waking state is you regaining consciousness after sleep. 

Are you sure?

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

4 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Are you sure?

It happens everyday. 

Bare In mind we have to start with some assumptions that should be taken on face value...if we get skeptical about everything we can't even get a conversation going lol. 

-Osho

Just now, Someone here said:

It happens everyday. 

What happens everyday, exactly? I mean regarding consciousness.

Bare In mind we have to start with some assumptions that should be taken on face value...if we get skeptical about everything we can't even get a conversation going lol. 

Is this truth or assumption?

And what does it even mean to say so here?

6 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

What happens everyday, exactly? I mean regarding consciousness.

It seems as if you lose consciousness during sleep and then regain it again upon waking up. 

6 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Is this truth or assumption?

A mix of both. As is everything. 

-Osho

Well, yeah, that's an interesting question.

One thing is for sure though, you don't "lose" consciousness when you're asleep. From a biological standpoint, your brain and body keep on functioning otherwise you wouldn't even hear your alarm in the morning.

The mind does seem to disappear during deep sleep, but that's another matter.

15 minutes ago, Someone here said:

It seems as if you lose consciousness during sleep and then regain it again upon waking up. 

I feel you're being a bit vague about the term consciousness, like you take it for granted as it appears at face value. Have you contemplated what consciousness is?

16 minutes ago, Someone here said:

A mix of both. As is everything. 

I don't follow here. How does assumption mix with truth? It doesn't make sense.

13 minutes ago, nistake said:

you don't "lose" consciousness when you're asleep. From a biological standpoint, your brain and body keep on functioning otherwise you wouldn't even hear your alarm in the morning.

That might or might not be true from a third person pov (you have no way to verify that when you are sleeping). But what I mean is you lose 'experience'. There is zero experience in deep sleep. No colors or sights or sounds or any kind of phenomenal content.

Interesting point about the alarm. But then again.. Sometimes you are so asleep that you don't hear the damn alarm :D

@Gesundheit do you go to sleep at night?  

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

4 minutes ago, Someone here said:

But what I mean is you lose 'experience'. There is zero experience in deep sleep. No colors or sights or sounds or any kind of phenomenal content.

That seems to be the case, but then what about dreams? They appear to be as solid and as real as the waking consciousness? (This is not a provocative question, I'm genuinely curious about your opinion :D)

"Deep sleep" is how consciousness tricks itself into thinking it can be unconscious

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Ever thought about experiencing it?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

19 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Gesundheit do you go to sleep at night?  

Who is the person in question? It's easy to say it's you/me, but who/what is you/me?

Be careful what you assume.

Edited by Gesundheit

19 minutes ago, nistake said:

That seems to be the case, but then what about dreams? They appear to be as solid and as real as the waking consciousness? (This is not a provocative question, I'm genuinely curious about your opinion :D)

What about them? They appear identical to the waking world.. And it's impossible to distinguish between the two. Unless you go lucid in a Dream. Sometimes you wake up from one dream to enter another dream.

None of that is conclusive btw. It's easy to say you don't know if you're awake or dreaming at any given time lol. 

-Osho

@Gesundheit@Gesundheit

17 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Who is the person in question? It's easy to say it's you/me, but who/what is you/me?

Be careful what you assume.

You. 

You= Consciousness. 

-Osho

I feel like reality is made out of deep sleep, which is the dimensionless point awareness. So i feel like nothing happens in the deepest sleep, like that happens there is nothing, the substance of all that is, you might say. 

@Gesundheit@Gesundheit

You. 

You= Consciousness. 

Still unclear. Be more specific.

What constitutes me/you/consciousness?

From my experience the mind shuts off like a computer so memory of it isn’t available. But if a dream comes up it turns on and your consciousness witnessing it so imo it was always there.

I know someone who said he can be conscious during deep sleep but I didn’t really understand what he experience.

@Gesundheit

25 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Still unclear. Be more specific.

What constitutes me/you/consciousness?

experience. The five senses. Perception of the 3D world.these are Available at the waking state and absent during deep sleep. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho