Depersonilized

Letting Go of My Attachment to Music

14 posts in this topic

To start off, I absolutely love music. I started my journey as a musician about 5 years ago at around 14 years old with drums before I picked up the guitar at age 15. My dad has always been a musician as well. He never tried to force me. I just decided one day that I wanted to learn and haven't stopped since. Now all these years later, I find myself getting more and more amped up to try to write and make music for a living. The problem is that I don't feel like I could possibly be happy or at least at peace without music or any other creative expression. I don't really want to feel this needy for music. I feel that I have to surrender this attachment/addiction and let go of it if I want to press on with my self-actualization work. I'm curious if anyone else here has this issue, and if they have found a solution. Thank you! 

I don't get it. In what way is music hurting you? 

one day this will all be memories

Don't detach for the sake of detachment. It's ok to like things and value something that is as higher consciousness like creative expression. You can honor the form of your personality as well as your likes and dislikes without becoming a slave to the ego. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

I think you have to exhaust the hell out of it in order to detach from it, if not, there is a rought path ahead. Make an awesome record...

1 hour ago, Depersonilized said:

I feel that I have to surrender this attachment/addiction and let go of it if I want to press on with my self-actualization work. 

I feel you are attached to having to solve your attachments xD.

It sounds like you just found in music something you're passionate about. Perhaps I'm not understanding your situation but I don't see the problem.

35 minutes ago, aurum said:
2 hours ago, Depersonilized said:

I feel that I have to surrender this attachment/addiction and let go of it if I want to press on with my self-actualization work. 

I feel you are attached to having to solve your attachments xD

This.

Plus you're 19, what the hell is this "surrender all your attachments" talk? Just follow your passion, follow your bliss.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

I was addicted to music my whole life. I wanted to get rid of the additction but I wasn't ready yet.  It was a long term project and specially when the bad effects of music happened it gave me more motivation to put energy in solving the problem. 

Like with any addiction you might want to start small. Finally it should be possible.

This is one of the BIGGEST dangers of Spiritual work. 

you don't need to give up what you love to be happy, like wtf. 

You are clearly passionate about music, why would you give it up?? Like you're lucky you've found something you love at an early age!

Don't let Self-Actualization or Spirituality make you give up your passions, let it improve & enhance your experience & expressions of them. 

doing 'The work' will only enhance your creative potential & music making abilities

Remember, LIFE IS ABOUT ENJOYMENT, why would you deprive yourself of things that are clearly meaningful to you, this 'spiritual' mindset never made any sense to me whatsoever 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

Maybe you could try it as an experiment, try going without any music for 2 weeks. But dont give it up unless its hurting you or others. Not necessary.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Your passion seems to be genuine so there's no reason to give it up. You said you love music and it probably brings you tremendous joy. You're not making music just to get something or achieve something. That's what truly matters.

Also, check this out:

l50PWpE.png

@Depersonilized this is almost paranormal; literally minutes ago I just came to the exact same realization. I have been a composer for a while and am trying to turn it into a life purpose, but I realized that what is stopping me in being truly authentic and creative in my work is my attachment to music, my identification with being a composer. I realized there is really no such thing as "my" music, and that I have an unhealthy obsession with originality and individuality in my work. In truth, music is music. And music is everything. Trust that if you let go of this identification as I began to do, you will come to a deeper realization of what music is and how it can be used to find truth and love.

I'm not a music creator, so I'm not in the same situation. But I'm always blasting or letting music play in the background. Or sometimes I just give my attention to listening. Maybe it's a bit bad if always desire this background stimulation and vibe and can't just chill in silence.  

As I type this message, I have this vibe playing. On a playlist of MF DOOM instrumentals. Other times I'd be listening to anime or japanese music 

For my case, the "solution" to whatever my thing is doesn't rely in trying to fight against music. More so in learning to appreciate silence and ordinary being without stimulation. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

6 hours ago, nistake said:

Your passion seems to be genuine so there's no reason to give it up. You said you love music and it probably brings you tremendous joy. You're not making music just to get something or achieve something. That's what truly matters.

Also, check this out:

l50PWpE.png

Perfect, I think the idea that Spirituality / Self-Actualization is all about Negating & quitting things we enjoy needs to be dropped. 

Of course we all need breaks and switch our focus from time to time, but if it's something you love & that brings you joy, I don't understand why their needs to be inner conflict around it :)

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@SonataAllegro Weird because I was going to post this a day or two prior but put it off as I decided to think about it a little longer to make sure that the cautiousness was warranted. Synchronicity is funny that way. Thanks for the response! I think I agree. 

@nistake@Rilles To clarify, I don't want to stop doing music. I just want to surrender what I believe to be an unhealthy attachment to it that I think may lead to negative consequences since I have an addictive personality. I want to be happy without any crutches, and I feel that a neediness for music may actually interfere with my creative process and other talents I have. I'll definitely try the two week idea out and see how it is. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.