Gabith

Stoicism, negative vizualisation

7 posts in this topic

I'm reading Irvine's A guide to the good life.

Something cross my mind, If I practice negative vizualisation everyday do I have risks to attract "bad" things in my life ?
I want to apply stoicism but in another hand I'm wondering if it will backfire on me because of the law of attraction

@Gabith

2 hours ago, Gabith said:

I'm reading Irvine's A guide to the good life.

Something cross my mind, If I practice negative vizualisation everyday do I have risks to attract "bad" things in my life ?
I want to apply stoicism but in another hand I'm wondering if it will backfire on me because of the law of attraction

I've done different types of visualizations, and what I can say so far is that when it comes to doing negative visualizations, it's important to do two things: focus more on the positive feelings than the negative content of the negative visualizations, and do positive or motivational visualizations separately, either on the same day or the following day. I wouldn't suggest only doing negative visualizations without balancing it out. 

I think it's a good idea actually. As long as you can maintain the context that you are acting, and that the events which may arise in the 'negative' visualizations are not identifications, then I'd say let loose. It's a great way to face things that you wouldn't normally take the time to do. 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

@Gabith i spend too much time using visulisation just to extend my abilities (if im to use visualisation at all), I'm surprised people have time for this stuff. maybe the only negative visualisation you should do is on not being aware. western culture including "stoicism" movements are just numb on their own drugs they can't feel creative perspectives enough. when i look at any visualisation, for me its always about extensionality, evolution, etc. there's always the simultaneous question of what is a visualisation and everything that participates in its creation but separate to (i.e. awareness).

im interested though

what makes you want to do negative visualisation? for stoicism or to try stoicism or for you about what you think stoicism can provide?

on the law of attraction you just need to follow the shortest highest quality path, then you're all good. I wouldn't watch any YT videos on it but yeah

what do you know about the law of attraction?

Edited by Origins

@Origins I don't know anything about Law of attraction except that you attract what you're feeling/thinking ?

And it seems that it really works

@Gabith just time to fly then, sounds about right

On negative visualisation, what I would look at more is the underlying need “i.e. fear of failure”, which may create “positive familiar feelings” for them because they’re attached to those fears and doing negative visualisation brings them a sense of safety because they interpret the alternatives as unsafe.

It would work hierarchically if it worked on the level of feeling/thinking, here then we operate on the level of underlying beliefs so we don’t just do activities because they feel good because we could fall into the trap of reinforcing underlying misaligned beliefs. That’s the problem with so many unproductive behaviours of course, people are unknowingly addicted to producing those states because they receive some kind of positive inner reward even though there’s a negative outer reward. That’s how I’ll reverse engineer my own patterns.

best