Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steelheart

Are online chats as sufficient as in-person?

4 posts in this topic

I've been working from home for a year, most of my work connections have faded away. I have however connected with some old friends (5 in total) via a WhatsApp chat group. We chat daily about sports, politics, meme etc. I'm actually pretty surprised how fulfilling it is. Do you think something like this is a sufficient social outlet if you have a wife/kids or do you think a person still needs more social interaction? I can't really judge if my happiness level is any different now vs pre-pandemic. Please let me know what your experiences are.

I think its for everyone different, its also for everyone different how much social interaction he/she needs. 

In my opinion it is something else when you meet someone in person. There is more connection and it is much more intime. Because interaction is not only words, it is also facial or bodly expression and you look each other in the eyes and can feel the presens of the other person. I would have at least 1-2 friends who you meet regular in person and have a deeper relationship. 

But I think it really depends and is different from person to person. Meaby regulary menas to you once a Month but for me once a week, etc. 

@Steelheart Depends on what you yourself feel to be sufficient. And god only knows how many factors there are to that.

But I think one can say fairly confidently that online interactions can't really replace face-to-face. We're social animals after all and a real person is just not the same as a displayxD