Someone here

What's your biggest fear?

59 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Exactly. Because by avoiding thought, you're actually bypassing awareness. So you basically don't know what you're talking about.

Is there a you that can bypass awareness? Awareness is the basis of not knowing and the basis of all knowing. 

13 minutes ago, Sahi96 said:

My deepest fear, which is at core of all of my anxiety/depression/existentialist crises, is that when I die, I will be subjected to eternal suffering due to mistakes or misunderstandings I have made in this life. I fear what "comes next". 

It is linked with my OCD and comes back periodically, even after months or years of serenity, that one day I will get the idea that I misunderstood something in the bible, or that I am willfully ignoring my upbringing/the message of God, and that I will suffer because of it.

I do not know if I will ever truly get over this fear. 

Having been raised in religion and also having dealt with OCD, I experienced this intensely as well. The funny thing is that suffering and the fear of death IS the very mistake and misunderstanding. There's no future in them at all, that why you feel the fear now. Feel free to PM me if you want. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

7 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

Is there a you that can bypass awareness?

In theory, no. Yet, in practice, absolutely fucking yes.

Just stop this hypocrisy. If you truly believed what you're saying, you wouldn't be here arguing about it. There would be no you to argue. But obviously, there is, and so here you are. But of course, you're probably gonna dismiss this with more philosophy and rationalizations. And for that I'll say just wait until the rubber hits the road.

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

3 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Me too. This idea of eternal suffering scares the living shit out of me. Not with you on this notion of 'mistakes'. This just comes from a religious background. There are no such things as 'mistakes' as in 'sins'. You'd have to be extremely non-objective to look at the world via that lens. 

Of course there is no one-fits-all answer. We could share... Fear of being hit by a car while crossing the highway is healthy because if you didn't have that kind of fear, you could kill yourself.  While fear of cats or pets might be considered unhealthy for lack of commonality. 

I do not mean mistakes as in sins. I mean it more along the lines that I am making a logical mistake in ignoring the biblical truths and not pursuing a dogmatic lifestyle--"not accepting Jesus Christ as the truth". It is very difficult to work through this because of how the biblical messaging is in many ways directly in contrast to that of what is being discussed in this forum. Although the bible is full of a lot of inconsistencies and nonsense, the verses that talk about false prophets / false teachers who make nature their god or that create their own gods and meaning of the universe and who engage in the sensual pleasures of life (promiscuity the main example) and how these people will suffer the most, this is what gets at me. I feel extremely guilty when thinking anything that goes against the Biblical God, and the worst thing is that I 99% think the bible is bullshit, but that 1% still controls me. 

17 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

In theory, no. Yet, in practice, absolutely fucking yes.

Just stop this hypocrisy. If you truly believed what you're saying, you wouldn't be here arguing about it. There would be no you to argue. But obviously, there is, and so here you are. But of course, you're probably gonna dismiss this with more philosophy and rationalizations. And for that I'll say just wait until the rubber hits the road.

Where and when exactly does the rubber meet the road? That's a lot of thoughts and judgements about the person you imagine to be behind the pixels of the screen, which are only reflections of the person you believe is behind the seeing the those pixels on a screen. I'm more intimately you than you think. You argue with yourself all the time, right? So here we are. ;)

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw ??

Too predictable.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

@Someone here hurting someone I really loved. The look on their face... I can imagine a few different people. It’s terrifying. Not that I couldn’t handle it a part of me could easily, but the raw authentic part of me would never want to see a loved one go through needless pain and suffering, let alone that which was inflicted by me. I’d rather carry that burden myself for them if I could, any kind.

It’s nice to see people here are all being totally self honest with themselves, it’s refreshing to see ;).Honestly, why are you so afraid of actually doing something productive like either being brave enough to post a genuine fear or move onto the next thread topic? It’s all kind of nauseating to see people pretending to say something meaningful on this site at times.

I don't consider myself a particularly fearful person, but on reflection I'm racked full of fear.

Fear of getting some deliberating condition, like a stroke. I would rather die.

Fear of misleading someone down the wrong path. Like making a video that turns out wrong.

Fear of coming to the end of my life and seeing I messed up, believed the wrong thing, like I should have gone for the money, etc.

I hang on on a roller coaster, I need to let go one day!

A miserable life

Edited by BlackMaze

@Gesundheit

Chill out. 

2 hours ago, Sahi96 said:

I do not mean mistakes as in sins. I mean it more along the lines that I am making a logical mistake in ignoring the biblical truths and not pursuing a dogmatic lifestyle--"not accepting Jesus Christ as the truth". It is very difficult to work through this because of how the biblical messaging is in many ways directly in contrast to that of what is being discussed in this forum. Although the bible is full of a lot of inconsistencies and nonsense, the verses that talk about false prophets / false teachers who make nature their god or that create their own gods and meaning of the universe and who engage in the sensual pleasures of life (promiscuity the main example) and how these people will suffer the most, this is what gets at me. I feel extremely guilty when thinking anything that goes against the Biblical God, and the worst thing is that I 99% think the bible is bullshit, but that 1% still controls me. 

Either the whole Bible is BS and you should not Believe it.. Or everything in the Bible is correct. And since you are convinced that 99 % is BS.. Then you should know with your rational part of your brain that even that 1% about hell and punishment is also BS. That fear is not 'rational'.. Meaning it's not based on evidence.. It's a result of religious conditioning which is literally a brainwashing process. 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

18 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Gesundheit

Chill out. 

Either the whole Bible is BS and you should not Believe it.. Or everything in the Bible is correct. And since you are convinced that 99 % is BS.. Then you should know with your rational part of your brain that even that 1% about hell and punishment is also BS. That fear is not 'rational'.. Meaning it's not based on evidence.. It's a result of religious conditioning which is literally a brainwashing process. 

It isn't that simple. Think of it this way: If you left your house for a day and you calculated that there was a 20% chance that you left the bedroom light on (you remember turning it off, but hey, you have been wrong before) then ok, no big deal. But if you (sorry if this is an absurd example but) left your nuclear plant for the weekend thinking that you were 95% sure that you didn't leave the reactor in overdrive before leaving, you are quite sure you did it, you remember it, but you know, people make mistakes, the repercussions of this mistake are catastrophically fatal, so I think it makes sense to worry a bit before going to sleep at night. 

Now you may argue that I should just drive back to the plant, double check, take a picture, have a confirmation from a colleague that the reactor was not in overdrive, but with religious questions, it isn't that simple. Life is only so long, the bible can be interpreted in so many ways and "double checking" isn't as simple as the nuclear plant example, because of the emotional connection I have with the bible. Some of the "truths" in the bible also resonate to my core and cause that doubt.    

1 hour ago, Sahi96 said:

Some of the "truths" in the bible also resonate to my core and cause that doubt.    

The resonate because they are true, and truth is love, and there is no doubt whatsoever in that realization. The doubt is something else, it's a separation from what you Know/feel to be true. Love itself never causes doubt. 

10 minutes ago, Nahm said:

That one day I’ll buckle and make an AMA thread. 

?Hahahaha 

34 minutes ago, Nahm said:

:D you just gave me an idea lol... 

@Sahi96 oh man.. I wish I could help. You.  Maybe @mandyjw have something to say about that..... I'm not familiar with the bible (I never was religious as well ).  But I do know that entire Bible is BS.  Reading genesis was enough for me lol. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

49 minutes ago, zeroISinfinity said:

Have no fears. 

Lies. 

-Osho

Social disaproval that takes away my ability to live my life purpose and escape wage slavery. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

32 minutes ago, Nahm said:

150274651_2815237035404781_8113245355259268808_n.jpg

5 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Lies. 

Well faced and gone through ultimate one "few times" so what's there to fear? 

6 minutes ago, zeroISinfinity said:

Well faced and gone through ultimate one "few times" so what's there to fear? 

What's that? (the ultimate one)? 9_9

-Osho