Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Paul

Spiral Dynamics Moral Line

1 post in this topic

Hello Actualized.org. 

What stage of Spiral Dynamics do you believe you have developed to in your moral line? Why? I'd like to hear details or even personal stories along with why you believe you are at the stage you are at as well as any details or stories about stages you've been through. Please be vulnerable and kind.

If you don't know what lines are at all, go and see Leo's video-Spiral Dynamics - Important Insights & Nuances

If you know nothing about SD at all, don't jam up the thread with BS please. 

Leo and others, what documentation of the moral line do we have? Please share any resources here and let's remain open-minded and truly skeptical (obviously). Thank you!

I believe that I am at stage ORANGE. I believe this because I follow my own moral compass, not one suggested to me by the church (for e.g.) or some sort of group that is focused on human or animal rights or the environment (for e.g.). I'd like to share a couple of ways in which I've lied to myself in order to convince myself that my moral compass was more developed than it actually was (Why? The ego and self-glorification of course). I've tried to convince myself that "Oh, I believe in Universal blah blah blah.. *politically GREEN ideaologies* And therefore my moral line is stage GREEN." But in action I consume a lot of material waste, slack on educating myself when it comes to the timeline of equal rights and practical systemic change, etc. Really I just do whatever the fuck I want to do; I don't mean in a RED way, I mean in an ORANGE way. I know that I am beyond stages RED and BLUE in the moral line because my personal experience of stage BLUE morality was based around misinterpretations of early Leo videos and that's how I constructed my morality through stages BLUE through blue-ORANGE. Funny! While I was in stage blue-ORANGE I lied to myself constantly that I was in stage YELLOW morality simply because my stage BLUE morality included the conceptof relative morality.. which of course is different in practice than actual "transcendental morality" which is what Leo labeled consciously doing the right thing in the moment versus morality being fixed in one of his older videos. Is buying a plastic Starbucks cup of coffee before going to exercise a signal that I'm beneath stage YELLOW morality? I don't believe so but I believe that being a lazy, low-productive person who won't prioritize tweaking my life in order to not have to buy plastics all of the fucking time is.

I wrote that as an example but also for those above me to let me know if I am understanding the moral development line in SD accurately. If there's something obviously contradictive in my writing point it out to me! I know you will… Thanks!

(I will share stories of what I believe were times I was developing through other stages of the emotional line after some discussion)

Edited by John Paul