Danioover9000

What is Tik Tok, and it's impact on youth?

15 posts in this topic

Found an interesting video about Tik Tok and it's dangers. I initial thought it's bad, but it was much worse than I thought. Here it is:

Personally, I mostly don't use socially media much, so when I come across sites, I can quickly feel if this site is good or bad intuitively. Tik Tok takes the cake for inducing the strongest cringe in me in terms of social media sites only. Jeebus christ, I feel sorry for those hooked on Tik Tok.

So, I've always had a thing against TikTok so I'm biased because I thought Vine was better and had shorter videos (6 seconds) with no ads.  I never have made a TikTok account but I have seen clips from there before.  Virtually most of my friends have or watch TikTok videos all day.  ALL DAY.  In group chats, like 90% of links posted are to a TikTok--I don't even open them.

That shit is rotting their already rotting brain.  I can't talk shit though, since I do use the internet too with stuff like youtube but still.  

Oh and these are fucking grown adults (30+) I'm talking about.  I can't even imagine the youth.  

Edited by hoodrow trillson

@Danioover9000

The most important point for me was the one he put last.

The degradation of our attention span and intelligence is highly significant. He did not even mention how the AI for these platforms is continuing learning, getting better and better at how to keep your attention.

Not only is this problematic for spiritual work, this can also lead into a downward spiral, where we actually become less capable of solving the problems we are creating.

It's really just like any other social media imo. It all depends on what side of tiktok you're on whether you are on makeup tiktok, attention whore tiktok, gay tiktok, straight tiktok, witch tiktok, creepy weirdo tiktok etc. 

Personally, based on the  posts I've liked, most of my for you page is people who are into psychology, people giving me career advice, history facts, and gay people joking about their daily existential dread. With some people's posts, I'm surprised how concisely they are able to break down complex topics. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

I haven’t ever installed tik toc but it’s kinda hard to imagine anything worse than twitter. 

TikTok is the Snapchatification of YouTube.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, soos_mite_ah said:

Personally, based on the  posts I've liked, most of my for you page is people who are into psychology, people giving me career advice, history facts, and gay people joking about their daily existential dread. With some people's posts, I'm surprised how concisely they are able to break down complex topics. 

My for you page is just assss (and I never click like on anything :D).

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

My for you page is just assss (and I never click like on anything :D).

Did you just download tiktok?

Because that's what happened to me the first time I downloaded tiktok and it was boring as hell. So I deleted the app 

I downloaded tiktok again during the lockdown because I was bored but this time searched up somethings I was interested in, liked a shit ton of posts, and then my for you page changed completely. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

38 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

Did you just download tiktok?

Because that's what happened to me the first time I downloaded tiktok and it was boring as hell. So I deleted the app 

I downloaded tiktok again during the lockdown because I was bored but this time searched up somethings I was interested in, liked a shit ton of posts, and then my for you page changed completely. 

I don't use TikTok enough to care about what pops up xD

Never saw he appeal of the app tbh but by the looks of it it seems to be easy to amass a big following on the platform if you post often enough, 3 of my friends have 100k plus on the app 

it's a garbage app with some funny videos on it. parents need to actually look after their kids and what they are doing on social media. 

I intentionally delved into something similar, YT Shorts(with lots of clips taken from tiktoks) and TikTok Compilations, for 4-5 days and got straight up addicted. I don't resist it or watch it anymore. Now the urge is gone. From what I have noticed is that, it robs of your free and clear way of thinking. It instills fake values into your mind and gets you to act in unconscious ways. Even if you find things you are interested in, it could be a good watch, but it just robs you of so much including time. You could definitely grow from watching these things but I mean, you could def go without it and grow much fast too. Honestly, I would recommend to quit that app. Still, it depends on who you are. For me, TikTok aint the thing, atleast right now. 

Edited by Swarnim

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

We need to find another way to communicate than through social media, all the mainstream platforms are garbage.

I feel like an incompetency crisis is coming as more and more people from Gen Z with low focus and work ethic is entering the job market, and it will not get better with Gen Alpha. Millions of people are currently struggling around the world because they have ADHD caused by social medias. It will have an economic impact and will impact the stability of societies if governments don't take this issue seriously. Sometimes I see 3 or 4 years old kids with smartphones, their parents aren't conscious of all the harm they are causing to them.

Serious news websites with more written and in-depth analysis are currently the best news sources.

@Raphael

2 hours ago, Raphael said:

We need to find another way to communicate than through social media, all the mainstream platforms are garbage.

I feel like an incompetency crisis is coming as more and more people from Gen Z with low focus and work ethic is entering the job market, and it will not get better with Gen Alpha. Millions of people are currently struggling around the world because they have ADHD caused by social medias. It will have an economic impact and will impact the stability of societies if governments don't take this issue seriously. Sometimes I see 3 or 4 years old kids with smartphones, their parents aren't conscious of all the harm they are causing to them.

Serious news websites with more written and in-depth analysis are currently the best news sources.

Agreed. If we can not only inform kids and parents of the harms that social media does to attention span and articulation of thoughts, then the next issue is figuring out ways for the parents to discipline kids just enough that they don't over use social media, without it looking too narcissistic to other people. Not only that, but each person who uses social media too much will have to work a bit harder on unwiring this addiction.