joshuahuebner

How to remember what you read in a book?

25 posts in this topic

I do take notes but still after a few day I forget all the little nuances of the book. Are there any methods for notetaking or studying books that you recommend?

Create and visit a mind palace. Have a library there where you take *mental * notes of the books you read. 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

You don't need to remember the details.

Underline every book as you read it, then you can quickly re-read a book within 20 mins just by reading the underlined parts -- if you need to refresh your memory. Underlining is crucial and it takes way less time than taking notes.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

43 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

Create and visit a mind palace. Have a library there where you take *mental * notes of the books you read

i'd be curious to learn more about how to do this 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 I'm going to search for a good explanation video to post to my Facebook group. When I find one, I'll share it here with you.  Basically, it's a sort of lucid daydreaming, which is my focus right now. Have your ever watched the recent Sherlock show on BBC with Benedict Cumberbatch? In that show, Sherlock uses a mind palace.  

Mine is in the top of a giant oak tree. I can fly up and land on the balcony and then walk inside. Inside there's a meditation pod; and a library with a fireplace, and a sofa in front where I can sit and read. 

Practicing my guided journeys would put you in the perfect minds space to then create a mind palace. I suggest Game of Wands, it's really fun. 

Edited by seeking_brilliance

20 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

Mine is in the top of a giant oak tree. I can fly up and land on the balcony and then walk inside. Inside there's a meditation pod; and a library with a fireplace, and a sofa in front where I can sit and read. 

Interesting, I believe Gabby Bernstein describes something similar in Universe Has Your Back. 

Thanks, please do share if you find anything helpful :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Distill all the book's main points into simple by complete points, and then remember one example from the book for each point. You should be able to read these points to someone who hasn't read the book, and fully understand what the book is about. Then try to think about these points in your own mind and connect them to experiences and frameworks. If you do this, you will not only have a deeper understanding of the book and gain new insights, but it will also help you remember it since you have now internalized it.  

Do you read books on purpose or it's just random books you read for the sake of reading?

I never have this problem as most books I read I have more or less clear purpose and reason why I'm reading them. I am usually trying to tackle some question or problem I have in my life, so good quality hints on how to solve these I naturally hold as very important and keep them in my mind rather effortlessly. By no means I remember 100% of the content of the book, of course and this idea seems rather wasteful. Is it what you're trying to do, though? If so - I suggest to drop this habit. Books are just a medium for communication, Sometimes the authors will have 1-2 very strong ideas that are actually game-changers, yet they still need to put 90% fluff in their books in between these ideas because they need to go on a market with this - doesn't mean the author is the utter charlatan, we just need to acknowledge the realities of the industry and adapt out consumption techniques

I learn well when I categorize knowledge. 

When I read a book I always see knowledge nuggets as something to store in my mental library. 

The trick is to categorize it as you gain it. Uncategorized knowledge is quickly forgotten in my case. 

In Tate we trust

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Underline every book as you read it, then you can quickly re-read a book within 20 mins just by reading the underlined parts -- if you need to refresh your memory. Underlining is crucial and it takes way less time than taking notes.

From start to finish for every page of a book i underline the entire thing? Or just underline what i feel i want to underline?

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

But leooo! 

How do you deal with memory power. How to increase solid memory? 

All of your life you have been told that God created you. God come now to tell you this:  You are creating God❤️

2 hours ago, Hardik said:

How do you deal with memory power. How to increase solid memory? 

Wait for Neuralink or other technical solution to expand human mind's capacity.

Till then keep reading and noting the classy way. You don't really need to remember much. Have a few of your favourite talking points written in a journal and maybe try to improve on them after reading some new book, or add a fresh talking point to your library if something in that book has been that phenomenal.

Edited by Girzo

@Michael569 here is a good video to get a basic idea. This focuses on how to use the mind palace as a memory retention tool. Additionally, I use my palace for intuitive reading. For example, I could grab a book from the library titled - what should I do today? (or literally anything else) then open the book and see what's written on the first page. Of course if you don't see the writing, you go with the first thing that pops into mind. 

@seeking_brilliance thank you, I will check this out. 

@Michael569 The mind palace is pretty easy to understand, but it requires some mental gymnastics to make it a habit and use it instinctively. It's a wonderful skill in the long term, but requires some time in the short term.

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

On 01/03/2021 at 0:33 PM, Leo Gura said:

I thought you stressed that taking notes was imperative for studying & learning? 

So when is it best to take notes vs not take notes

or do people think for books that merely writing down an overall summary of notes is better

I'm quite OCD so I always feel like i'm missing out if I don't catch every detail. Probably toxic attitude

Edited by Striving for more

@Striving for more You could apply the mindset that if you underline, the things you underline are your notes. You don't have to take notes because notes are already in the book and you pointed out the most useful stuff. So you'll have the most important details already marked in the places (books) where they would be logically found.

Or you could find summaries online.

Or you could rewrite the key insights somewhere, but not all the stuff you find relevant. Only the insights that make you have an epiphany.

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

If it really resonates and sticks with you without you having to do anything to try to remember, it was worth remembering. You have your own highly intelligent note taking system, you remember what strikes your curiosity. 

If you're studying for school or a project, then notes or highlighting are good too. Anxiety kills your ability to remember and engage with material, so I'd say the more important thing is to relax. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost