Derek White

Help! How To Find A Job Without Any Experience Or Education?

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I messed up. I fell into a trap. I let go too much, got involved in spirituality too much at the expense of survival. Didn't balance letting go and staying focused. I tried to let go of everything, I was blissed out sometimes, but it was escapism and an ignorant approach. I was avoiding the pain of concentration. Took me a long time to get out of it intellectually and emotionally. 

Basically, I want to get a job now, any job, but I don't have any work or volunteer experience. I just have a high school diploma. 

Idk what to do now. What do I put on my resume? Should I go for more physically demanding jobs? Do I start by volunteering at random places and apply after some time? Or do I apply to a trades/diploma/certificate program? 

Any advice would be appreciated. (I live near Vancouver, CA)

-DW

Edited by Derek White

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

18 minutes ago, captainamerica said:

Which country bro?

Canada, BC. Around Vancouver.

Working for any corporation is a trap that will waste your life and suck your soul. Either find a small company of likeminded people with a shared vision and family supportive work environment, where you can grow. Or start your own business. It will take you many years to get to a point where you'd make any money at all with your own business, but you will be much better off in the long run, as you can be proud of what you are doing with your life, not just being a slave to someone else. As for what to do for your own business? Doesn't much matter. Anyone can make anything successful if they are fully dedicated to making it work. Do what you are passionate about. If you're passionate about something, other people that are passionate about that same thing will find you and want to support what you're doing. 

5 hours ago, Derek White said:

Hey guys,

I messed up. I fell into a trap. I let go too much, got involved in spirituality too much at the expense of survival. Didn't balance letting go and staying focused. I tried to let go of everything, I was blissed out sometimes, but it was escapism and an ignorant approach. I was avoiding the pain of concentration. Took me a long time to get out of it intellectually and emotionally. 

Basically, I want to get a job now, any job, but I don't have any work or volunteer experience. I just have a high school diploma. 

Idk what to do now. What do I put on my resume? Should I go for more physically demanding jobs? Do I start by volunteering at random places and apply after some time? Or do I apply to a trades/diploma/certificate program? 

Any advice would be appreciated. (I live near Vancouver, CA)

-DW

Adult education -> University -> Good jobs

or

Life purpose but thats gonna take you 5-10 years to get good at it. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Don't try to get a job.

Try to get 10 jobs, and pick the best one.

That's the best mindset for getting a job, if you just want any job.

"Yes is the answer... And you know that! Fasho!

Yes is surrender! You gotta let it... you gotta let it GO!" - John Lennon, Mind Games

1. From what I know in Canada truck driving is a lucrative career, training time is less, and the process to get a license is also relatively easy.

You can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtTztc61b5U (with English subtitles).

I understand if it is not worth your time. But if someone is really pressed for survival and it comes down to food bill issues then will definitely recommend considering it for the short-term in order to buy enough time to permanently solve survival level challenges.

2. Establish the one percent better Lifestyle

You may be feeling overwhelmed now given that there are so many different skills and domains to get a handle on. For that will definitely recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Habits-Proven-Build-Break/dp/0593207092/

Have the one percent better everyday philosophy as your lifestyle and you will grow enough to reach your goals in no time. If there is one book you will implement in the next 3 years let it be this.

3. Use the Law of Resonance 

You might have read about patients who can barely walk just after a couple of weeks of bed rest. It is fascinating that in just a couple of weeks of unuse, the muscles start atrophying to this degree, and retraining them to peak performance from there will take months of diet and physical training. A similar thing happens with many key skills and mental faculties which most people don't use since teenage due to a poorly designed education system. They are at the "barely able to walk" stage due to the atrophy.

Law of Resonance simply states that as you get better the world around you gets better in order to match up to your level.

A practical way to implement is to do a lot of personal development in areas like health, emotional wellbeing, spirituality, character(courage, peace, desire, etc.), intellect, etc. You can start with Mindvalley quests,  Leo's book list, etc.

You literally need not even begin working on career or finances for this as overtime successful implementations or executions of various ideals in even categories like character, and health leads to the development of those atrophied muscles and soon this Power of Effective Implementation that you have developed spills over to complex tasks like Carrer, LP, Passive income, etc.

This is a key step. Just start doing personal development(get your dream body, train your mind to be worry-free, develop speed reading skills, etc. anything that you find fun) while measuring results strictly and the same abilities and mental faculties required to have a materially successful life are developed enough to pleasantly surprise you one day. 

You may start with 1-2 hours of personal development every day. 

4. Disabuse yourself of the idea that you need degrees in order to succeed in the world today

https://analyticsindiamag.com/why-google-believes-you-dont-need-a-college-degree-to-get-a-high-paying-tech-job/#:~:text=Just like other career certificates,hold a four-year degree.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/16/15-companies-that-no-longer-require-employees-to-have-a-college-degree.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9TXksclau0

Especially in skills like computer programming. Look how Leo got a job at a studio. For these jobs, you just need to have an amazing portfolio, a high rank in competitions at CodeChef, etc. to simply demonstrate the skill you have developed with hundreds and thousands of hours of practice with resources that are freely available online at coursera, edx, interview cake etc. No need for a degree or university coursework.m

5. Work on interview psychology

There are resources available to solve literally any problem under the sun you may face in the interviewing scenario and positioning yourself in the market.

One of the best experts in this field is Ramit Sethi. His course Get your dream job is highly recommended.

How to explain this gap in education and work experience to the company? Here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ9gaisOw2k&list=PLPZCUlZ2z01mfer8hXw9U8lhXYRXxctru&index=12arly 

Similarly, dozens and hundreds of angles are already covered regarding positioning or any other obstacle that you may face.

If you need help with something specific feel free to ask.

Edited by captainamerica

I'm on Vancouver Island.  

If I were you, I'd probably just start applying to a butt-load of places, then see which ones accept you.  Work at a place for a bit, get experience. Volunteering I'd recommend too fosho.  Get as many certs as you can.  Ya, if you're in a position to do school, might be a good option.  Even try doing like small bets and projects for people or organizations in your local community.  Like right now, I'm in touch with a youth volunteer org. in town and am meeting them to see if I can put on some sort of Zoom games night or dance party or something.  For free.  

Pat the stats.  

Just like a video game character.  start just adding shit to your resume.  And maybe variety is good too, since then you'll have experience in a bunch of stuff which not only makes you versatile in a job market, but also helps you learn what it is that truly excites you.  

I heard this advice from Objective Personality, he laying out a framework of...

1. Go on craigslist and find any job you haven't done.  No matter how shitty you think it is.  Do it.
  2. Master 3 skills in that job.  However long it takes for you to get to a point with those 3 skills where it's easy-breasy, work at the job until that point.
  3. Then quit and find a new job and repeat the cycle. 

I see this as also not just working at a job and then quitting with no skills learned, but doing the job, even if you don't like it, and actually developing some marketable skills along the way so you're not left with nothing.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

20 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

I'm on Vancouver Island.  

If I were you, I'd probably just start applying to a butt-load of places, then see which ones accept you.  Work at a place for a bit, get experience. Volunteering I'd recommend too fosho.  Get as many certs as you can.  Ya, if you're in a position to do school, might be a good option.  Even try doing like small bets and projects for people or organizations in your local community.  Like right now, I'm in touch with a youth volunteer org. in town and am meeting them to see if I can put on some sort of Zoom games night or dance party or something.  For free.  

Pat the stats.  

Just like a video game character.  start just adding shit to your resume.  And maybe variety is good too, since then you'll have experience in a bunch of stuff which not only makes you versatile in a job market, but also helps you learn what it is that truly excites you.  

I heard this advice from Objective Personality, he laying out a framework of...

1. Go on craigslist and find any job you haven't done.  No matter how shitty you think it is.  Do it.
  2. Master 3 skills in that job.  However long it takes for you to get to a point with those 3 skills where it's easy-breasy, work at the job until that point.
  3. Then quit and find a new job and repeat the cycle. 

I see this as also not just working at a job and then quitting with no skills learned, but doing the job, even if you don't like it, and actually developing some marketable skills along the way so you're not left with nothing.

I tried applying to tons of jobs myself, and I only got one minimum wage job offer. 

21 hours ago, Derek White said:

Canada, BC. Around Vancouver.

Considering where you are geographically maybe look for a labor job if you're physically fit. A lot of construction jobs, logging, retail lumber yards, etc are always looking for more bodies and you don't really need any experience to get them. Just have a willingness to show up and work everyday lol. Most of them pay well above minimum wage so even though it can be exhausting (only if you work dumb really) it's WAY better than flipping burgers or dealing with idiot customers at a Wal-Mart for $14 p/hr. There is some upward traction with a lot of them too if you work hard enough, where as most retail jobs are dead end as fuck.

Also if you live close enough to a Fire Department that has any volunteer staff you could join that. It's all in your spare time so you'll have to weigh how much you value that, but you meet some really great people, contribute to the community, and make usually $25 an hour on top of it. Plus it looks awesome on a resume for any employer.

1 hour ago, Matt23 said:

I'm on Vancouver Island.

Moved to Duncan in October! Where you at @Matt23?

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

I started volunteering somewhere of interests and just kept giving value until I got a small gig, then a full time gig. People will train you if they see you as valuable.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

In my experience, you can literally BS your way into jobs that you're not even qualified for. Adding experience in a resume that you don't even have. Most people don't even fact check. Just make sure you have the stories and knowledge to back up your claims. And maintain mindfulness of your devilry to  minimize deluding yourself.

Honestly it really is how well you can manipulate the perceptions of your employers. And that is best done through phone calls and face to face. 

I've never really gotten a job with just a resume, it's always been when I've spoken to the employer. 

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

find something you like doing example writing a book, animation, video games, just find anything employers appreciate people who do work in their spare time, they are comparing hundreds of people with degrees and experience what they want is a dedicated, disciplined reliable worker. you don't stand out with experience or a degree trust me, look for apprenticeships you get paid less but you a learning a new skill good luck 

nowadays you can BS your way into a system easily for a matter of time just get anything, for now, make a resume that does exceed your current status bs your way into it you need some money to live with so do that but don't put all your eggs in one basket if you know what I mean, you are responsible for your action.

Update: I got a part-time job at a superstore. I'm also planning to take a loan and study undergrad in nursing. 

Thanks for all the responses, they were all helpful. 

You can start a business even if you're not decided on your life purpose yet. You'll probably have to start a new one once you know what you want from life.