Derek Chauvin trial: why it is a potential disaster

44 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, kray said:

It could also be that Chauvin has certain racist tendencies

How can we know?  @kray

Edited by Yali

1 minute ago, Yali said:

How can we know?  @kray

That's why I said "it COULD", to emphasize the fact that its simply a possibility. I think most cops who join the force don't do it so they can "be racist pigs who kill blacks", its more about keeping order in society while also getting a good pay. For all we know, Derek Chauvin could very well have plenty of black friends, and have nothing personal against black people. But as part of his job, he was most probably assigned certain neighborhoods, which happened to be black neighborhoods, and responded to calls that almost always involved a black suspect/victim. This will naturally create a bias in which every black person he comes across, he will assume that person is a criminal. Its this bias that's the problem, and the current police training doesn't to enough to tackle this bias. I don't think calling Derek Chauvin a criminal or a "KKK racist murderous cop" will help the actual issue. I personally believe that Officer Derek Chauvin is simply a victim of a larger, systemic issue in police training. But instead of tackling the larger issue, we are too focused on calling Derek Chauvin a murderer and putting him in jail. But again....these are just my thoughts, and they are open to changing.

1 minute ago, kray said:

systemic issue in police training

@kray how would you change police training

Unfortunately it seems to me like the police were more or less doing their job. This video, in my opinion, does not justify the massive black lives matter movement that swept across the world. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

4 minutes ago, Yali said:

Great question! The average duration of police training a prospect needs to go through is around 840 hours, or 21 weeks. That is only 4-5 months of training (if my math serves me correctly). This is simply too short of a duration to cover everything a police officer should know. To draw a comparison, the average police training someone goes through in other countries could be as long as 1-3 years. Another thing is to train police how to be professionals, dealing with all types of people, rather than training them to rough people up for breaking the law. It would be hard to accomplish this if police officers only had 21 weeks to train. If we increased that training to at least 1.5 years, other things such as ethics and basic human psychology could also be covered. Also 4-5 months should be used for bias training.

Another thing that I am for is re-distributing funds. I don't mean defunding the police, but I do firmly believe that the federal government should re distribute expenditures from other hefty federal expenses, such as military expenditures. Even taking 5% of military expenditures would be enough for funding mental health/drug rehab services throughout the country. So assuming that the federal government does this, we can have strong mental health/drug abuse services that work in unison with every police department in the nation. For example, if a homeless person acts up on the street, instead of the police handling it by themselves, they can have a mental health representative with them in helping them deal with the situation. If someone is sticking a needle or smoking crack in middle of the streets, the police can have a drug abuse expert there, so instead that person doing the drugs goes to rehab instead of prison. I know that having all of this is too ideal, but even funding strong mental health services in every city will make a difference, and take the burden off of police. 

@How to be wise I can understand a knee to the neck for a minute even but 9 minutes is crazy.  nobody is that dangerous, at the very best it was negligence and at the very worst it was murder

@Yali

On 02/03/2021 at 0:42 AM, Yali said:

By making them more sensitive to humans 

Humans are not their slaves.

Especially black people 

Black people are not slaves to be treated like this by the police.. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I don't think that it's useful to discuss so much about the details because George Floyd's case isn't isolated. The issue is that there is a general criminality and racism problem in the US. I also don't think that making the police more sensitive to other people difficulties (even though it will surely avoid some situations) will solve the problem because when a disproportionate amount of a country's population is at a low level of consciousness the police needs to adapt and to be tough in order to not get overblown. A policeman cannot trust an aggressive and/or deranged person and expect him to calm down, nor always handle a person peacefully.

However, it's certainly possible to avoid creating these kinds of situations by fixing the base through actions like:

• financial help for people who are the most in need
  • increasing salaries
  • free and high-quality education for everyone, everywhere
  • free and mandatory psychological follow-ups
  • banning guns
  • marketing to bring consciousness about these issues
  • more multiculturalism

I think it will naturally happen through the next 50 - 100 years. We just need to be patient.

Edited by Raphael

they're live streaming the trial....

1 hour ago, Raze said:

they're live streaming the trial...

Oh God, this will be radioactive.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Edited by Raze

On 3/3/2021 at 3:35 PM, Preety_India said:

@Yali

By making them more sensitive to humans 

Humans are not their slaves.

Especially black people 

Black people are not slaves to be treated like this by the police.. 

Black people commit 50% of homicides but only makeup 30% of the police shootings.  

4 minutes ago, Woke456 said:

Black people commit 50% of homicides but only makeup 30% of the police shootings.  

I Don't believe this nonsense

Don't tell me false statistics that are made up for political and social gains. 

Also no percentages in statistics can ever justify the innocent murder of an individual. 

The news is good at making sure no one pays attention to the things that matter. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

3 minutes ago, Woke456 said:

And why should I believe these numbers? 

@Preety_India You don't have to, but it's clear to me that they intentionally displayed the homicide chart to make it feel like whites and blacks are equally distrubuted in murder offense.  They could have easily made it look a lot more lopsided if they chose to visualize that blacks are 13% of the population and whites are supposedly 78%.

3 minutes ago, Woke456 said:

@Preety_India You don't have to, but it's clear to me that they intentionally displayed the homicide chart to make it feel like whites and blacks are equally distrubuted in murder offense.  They could have easily made it look a lot more lopsided if they chose to visualize that blacks are 13% of the population and whites are supposedly 78%.

I believe None of this. I don't believe any of the stats. It's all nonsense. 

24 minutes ago, Woke456 said:

Yes....but of those homicides, black people make up the majority of the victims. There are A LOT of issues that lead to this statistic. The problem is black people make up 30% of police shootings, while being only 13% of the total population. And while white do make up a larger portion of police shootings, this is simply because whites are the MAJORITY of the nation. Whites make up close to 75% of the total population, so more police shootings of whites simply reflects the fact that there is a much larger portion of whites. Does this study you bring up take into account UNARMED victims of police shooting? With black people, the proportion of police shooting victims is more than double the proportion of the total black population. Do black people still commit more crime on average, yes they do, but there are much larger systemic issues that create these outcomes. This is not a black and white issue (no pun intended), but rather a larger, systemic one.