eliasvelez

shadow work thread

16 posts in this topic

I recommend her 1 hour free course (link in the comments). I think it sets a really good basic, how to begin with shadow work and it is a good overview (the course).

Edited by eliasvelez

Has anyone read 'Shadow Dance' from Leo's list?  Opinions?  What kind of stuff was in it?  Was it more theoretical or did it have a bunch of practical exercises (or in between these two)?

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23 Im on the first half and my impression is that it has a good amount of practical stuff, I think it is a good balance between practical and theoretical. It has some really good content and exercises and it is psychology mixed with spirituality (what I consider as positive). I think the book is it worth it but I think this book doesnt cover everything and you need to ad some other exersices, books and consepts to your shadow work and you also need to go deeper with some subjects (for example, subpersonalities) 

Edited by eliasvelez

3 minutes ago, eliasvelez said:

go deeper with some subjects (for example, subpersonalities) 

Cheers.  I've been really getting into IFS and parts work recently and have found it really helpful as well an accurate description of my experience as a person.  Definitely lots of stuff there, even immediate releases of emotions when communicating with a part directly and understanding it that have in the past been super hard to deal with using only mindfulness or feeling them more and allowing them.

I've actually been combining Byron Katie's "The Work" technique with parts work and found this to be really beneficial.  Like, if I encounter a part that has a particular belief, I can ask it Byron Katie's questions and do some stuff that feels it being a release and healing sometimes.  Even if subtly. 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

5 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

I've actually been combining Byron Katie's "The Work" technique with parts work and found this to be really beneficial.  Like, if I encounter a part that has a particular belief, I can ask it Byron Katie's questions and do some stuff that feels it being a release and healing sometimes.  Even if subtly. 

Nice!  Sounds interesting. Definitly need to check out Katies book 

Great playlist ( german)

Really great channel  (Is in german)

Edited by eliasvelez

30 minutes ago, EddieEddie1995 said:

@eliasvelez Emma is amazing! 

You have everything you need on her channel. 

If you want to integrate your shadow, buy her course :)

Thanks for the tip, definetly need to take a closer look on her channel, only saw a few videos of her:)  Unfortunately she only does coaching and has a program, but has no course (besides her 1 hour course). 

Did/do you do shadow work? When yes, with her videos?

This is my Shadow routine I did 2 years ago.

1.Write a list of personal traits.

2.Go down the list and find the ones that

•You feel you are not and/or...
•Have a tension about them and/or...
•Would trigger you if someone called you out on

For example "Why are you so angry?" If that triggers you then thats a part of your shadow.

3.Go through memories of moments in your life where you have been angry (Be radically honest!)

4.Write atleast 5 positive things about being angry

5.Let yourself fully be angry and be okay with it, if you have to scream then do it, if you feel angry while doing the exercise thats good!

6.Do this with all the traits you have found, there will be atleast 10-15 traits you have repressed. 

7.Do one trait a day so it settles in your psyche, dont do more than one a day! Important! This is emotionally taxing, you dont want to burn yourself out. 

8.Love yourself and accept this trait, see and feel how it makes you a more complete person.  

I learned this from Dark Side Of The Light Chasers by Debbie Ford and put my own spin on it. 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

8 hours ago, Rilles said:

This is my Shadow routine I did 2 years ago.

1.Write a list of personal traits.

2.Go down the list and find the ones that

•Have a tension about them and/or...
•Would trigger you if someone called you out on

For example "Why are you so angry?" If that triggers you then thats a part of your shadow.

3.Go through memories of moments in your life where you have been angry (Be radically honest!)

4.Write atleast 5 positive things about being angry

5.Let yourself fully be angry and be okay with it, if you have to scream then do it, if you feel angry while doing the exercise thats good!

6.Do this with all the traits you have found, there will be atleast 10-15 traits you have repressed. 

7.Do one trait a day so it settles in your psyche, dont do more than one a day! Important! This is emotionally taxing, you dont want to burn yourself out. 

8.Love yourself and accept this trait, see and feel how it makes you a more complete person.  

I learned this from Dark Side Of The Light Chasers by Debbie Ford and put my own spin on it. 

Thank you very much for your input, definetly gonna try out this routine  :) 

8 hours ago, Rilles said:

Go down the list and find the ones that

Also these who I feel I am?

When you did this process with one trait, is it finnished? Or do you recommend doing it until I have the feeling, that I have integated the trait fully?     ( for example, do this process with the angry part of me. is it enough once, or should I do it meaby once a month (for example), until I have the feeling that it is fully integrated?) 

Can you recommend Dark Side Of The Light Chasers ?

9 minutes ago, eliasvelez said:

Also these who I feel I am?

When you did this process with one trait, is it finnished? Or do you recommend doing it until I have the feeling, that I have integated the trait fully?     ( for example, do this process with the angry part of me. is it enough once, or should I do it meaby once a month (for example), until I have the feeling that it is fully integrated?) 

Can you recommend Dark Side Of The Light Chasers ?

Its usually the traits you feel you dont have that are hiding in the shadow. 

For example, maybe you fancy yourself very smart and so when someone calls you dumb you feel triggered because you have not allowed your ego to be dumb, you feel its not you, everyone can be dumb, its just human nature, were not perfect. The traits we DO accept in ourselves (usually the good ones) we are conscious of so they are not in the shadow, they are in the light so to speak.

I didnt work on any traits more than one day, but I contemplated the trait in myself throughout the day (I did the exercises in the morning) so I have never felt the need to go back to them. But if you feel yourself getting triggered you can for sure go back to them, up to you, no strict rules.

Although now I have discovered new Shadow Traits in myself recently so I will do some more traits soon.

Yes, I highly recommend the book, its one of my top 5 books, life-changing.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

47 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Its usually the traits you feel you dont have that are hiding in the shadow. 

For example, maybe you fancy yourself very smart and so when someone calls you dumb you feel triggered because you have not allowed your ego to be dumb, you feel its not you, everyone can be dumb, its just human nature, were not perfect. The traits we DO accept in ourselves (usually the good ones) we are conscious of so they are not in the shadow, they are in the light so to speak.

I didnt work on any traits more than one day, but I contemplated the trait in myself throughout the day (I did the exercises in the morning) so I have never felt the need to go back to them. But if you feel yourself getting triggered you can for sure go back to them, up to you, no strict rules.

Although now I have discovered new Shadow Traits in myself recently so I will do some more traits soon.

Yes, I highly recommend the book, its one of my top 5 books, life-changing.

Thank you for your answer:)

the book is bought :D