Hardkill

Super important message from TYT to Bernie Sanders on raising the US minimum wage!

14 posts in this topic

TYT and all of the other progressives out there throughout the entire USA are pleading for as many people asssible to help Bernie Sanders fight for the $15 minimum wage. Please watch this whole video and seriously consider whether or not you will take part in helping all the progressives with making this highly crucial decision for the greater good of the country.

Edited by Hardkill

6 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

You agree?

Completely agree. Already shared the video in fact. 

Other than Covid relief, the $15 minimum wage is probably the most important issue that I would like to see passed over the next two years.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

1 hour ago, DocWatts said:

Completely agree. Already shared the video in fact. 

Other than Covid relief, the $15 minimum wage is probably the most important issue that I would like to see passed over the next two years.

Thank you. I appreciate this. 

I really hope more people from this forum join the fight.

*Btw, I hope that these posts that we're making here are allowed on this forum.

Edited by Hardkill

@Hardkill

On 2/27/2021 at 10:05 PM, Hardkill said:

TYT and all of the other progressives out there throughout the entire USA are pleading for as many people asssible to help Bernie Sanders fight for the $15 minimum wage. Please watch this whole video and seriously consider whether or not you will take part in helping all the progressives with making this highly crucial decision for the greater good of the country.

I'd like to point out that this video message is an attempt to manipulate my progressive side, so whatever decision you make, to be in favor for or against this message, be mindful that this is an ideological recruitment to action, comparable to a priest calling for the followers to donate to the church, or spread and proselytize our religion.

@Danioover9000 If you don't support a $15 minimum wage, well then that's a different discussion than the one in this thread.

If you do support a $15 minimum wage, I don't see the problem with putting pressure on our Elected Officials to fulfill the promises they've made. 

I'll concur that Progressives and the Young Turks in particular can sometimes be unreasonable in some of thier expectations and demands (I don't agree with many of thier criticisms of the Biden administration), but raising the minimum wage over four years to $15/hour by 2025 is an incredibly reasonable compromise for something that's been long overdue.

The Senate Parliamentarian's decision is a Senatorial Norm rather than a binding agreement, one that's been ignored at several points to pass Tax Cuts and expand Oil Drilling. The fact that Covid relief is being passed by Budget Reconciliation is a good indication that Procedural Norms breakdown when Bad Faith actors consistently use obstructionist tactics, and that breaking with Norms can be necessary at times.

While there's an argument for trying again on the Minimum Wage after Covid relief, fact is if we don't keep pressuring our public officials on this issue, it will fade away into the background, and the momentum that a $15 minimum wage will be squandered.

And make no mistake this is a life and death issue for tens of millions of people here subsisting on starvation wages, and will likely be a huge factor in any post Covid economic recovery. Additionally, the Democratic Party failing to fulfill this promise is likely to come back and bite them in the arse in 2022, and will make it more probable that they will lose seats to Bad Faith Republicans who will do everything in thier Power to obstruct any legislation from getting passed until 2024.

Edited by DocWatts

@Apparition of Jack

17 hours ago, Apparition of Jack said:

@Danioover9000 It’s more like a call to ask the church to be more generous with charity

Yes, a call for the church to be more generous with charity to it's own ventures, while modifying and expanding it's environment to suit it's own survival.

@DocWatts

5 hours ago, DocWatts said:

@Danioover9000 If you don't support a $15 minimum wage, well then that's a different discussion than the one in this thread.

If you do support a $15 minimum wage, I don't see the problem with putting pressure on our Elected Officials to fulfill the promises they've made. 

I'll concur that Progressives and the Young Turks in particular can sometimes be unreasonable in some of thier expectations and demands (I don't agree with many of thier criticisms of the Biden administration), but raising the minimum wage over four years to $15/hour by 2025 is an incredibly reasonable compromise for something that's been long overdue.

The Senate Parliamentarian's decision is a Senatorial Norm rather than a binding agreement, one that's been ignored at several points to pass Tax Cuts and expand Oil Drilling. The fact that Covid relief is being passed by Budget Reconciliation is a good indication that Procedural Norms breakdown when Bad Faith actors consistently use obstructionist tactics, and that breaking with Norms can be necessary at times.

While there's an argument for trying again on the Minimum Wage after Covid relief, fact is if we don't keep pressuring our public officials on this issue, it will fade away into the background, and the momentum that a $15 minimum wage will be squandered.

And make no mistake this is a life and death issue for tens of millions of people here subsisting on starvation wages, and will likely be a huge factor in any post Covid economic recovery. Additionally, the Democratic Party failing to fulfill this promise is likely to come back and bite them in the arse in 2022, and will make it more probable that they will lose seats to Bad Faith Republicans who will do everything in thier Power to obstruct any legislation from getting passed until 2024.

I just comment because I don't immediately trust the messaging. Personally, raising the minimum wage effects me to some degree, so I would be in support of raising minimum wages, for me firstly before others. However, I would suggest support for it if the countries and businesses in question can sustain raising the minimum wage, for every 4-5years, from 15 to 20 to 25 and so on. I wouldn't be in support for this action if later, or sooner, I found out that this opens up ramifications that later effect certain countries. and their economics. I'm biased in leaning some support for this, along with more options to raise salary as well, so my position on this is a polarized one. I can also see this apply to the USA, but does this equally apply to a third world country, with no strong capitalistic frame work? Also I disagree with their take on Bernie, as that is largely the development of average Americans that make that decision about Bernie, and their criticisms of him don't hold much water to me.

Even though this is coming from progressives, my bias, I also give equal doubt to other left news, and right-wing news as well, which is also my bias.

I'm more careful with public figures spreading a message, and blindly following the call to action, when sometimes it can backfire. Having said that, as long as you have considered this a lot, then whatever decision you make is a good one, so all to you.

@Danioover9000

Had increases to the Minimum Wage not been neglected for as long as they have, then companies which rely on low wage economic exploitation could have gradually adjusted to paying a living wage over a much longer period of time. The longer you ignore a problem, the more difficult and expensive it's going to be to fix it. 

Four years is not an unreasonable amount of time for businesses to adjust, especially when you consider that by 2025 $15 an hour will be worth less than it is now due to inflation. 

I agree that we shouldn't blindly follow a Call to Action from either the Left or Right. But on its own Merits the proposed Legislation to increase the Minimum Wage is completely justified while being reasonable in its implementation.

And for the sake of clarity, the proposed legislation would phase in a $15/hour wage over four years, and then index it to national productivity growth after that. It would not continue to increase to $20 or $25 an hour under this Legislation. What it would do is make the minimum wage Indexed to the cost of living going forward, so that in 2030 and 2035 would be today's equivalent of $15. The reason this is important is so that Inflation doesn't make the Minimum wage a starvation wage again in ten or fifteen years, and is in fact what most other Industrialized Democracies do.

Edited by DocWatts