Lucas Kehr

What is Discipline? (Video Request)

6 posts in this topic

Before my question, I want to explain my situation:

I'm 21 years old and already having relatively serious health issues which are affecting every area of my life-physique and appearance, relationships, communication, self-esteem, and psychology. I would get professional treatment if I had the money and knew they would actually help me holistically. 

But what I truly know is that I am a creator who can heal himself from the inside out. I'm not deathly ill, I just need discipline to manage a strict whole foods diet without sugar+refined foods and to keep me on the path of mastery with calisthenics/daily exercise. 

So then, what is discipline? Is it just the inner voice of 100% commitment saying, 'just do it!'? Or is there a deeper layer? I have that voice one day, then I lose it when I'm stressed or depressed and go back to the old habits. I tell myself, 'I'm failing my way forward' but J want to know the complete 'science' of discipline so that once in on the path, I'll never leave it. 

@Leo Gura

Wow, this has been one of many topics I'm contemplating at the moment, synchronicity at it again with me xD. It'll be interesting to hear Leo's take on it currently. To start off shallow, to me discipline has been mostly exercising one's will power, and delaying gratification, always 'pushing the envelop' gradually, so that over time, in 5,10 or so years, people who don't have that comparable level of discipline will look at you the way you looked at some master or legendary figure you looked up to, and wonder how they got there to begin with. It has mostly involved a continuous process of re-committing to some interest or field, or even following a value.

3 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

Wow, this has been one of many topics I'm contemplating at the moment, synchronicity at it again with me xD. It'll be interesting to hear Leo's take on it currently. To start off shallow, to me discipline has been mostly exercising one's will power, and delaying gratification, always 'pushing the envelop' gradually, so that over time, in 5,10 or so years, people who don't have that comparable level of discipline will look at you the way you looked at some master or legendary figure you looked up to, and wonder how they got there to begin with. It has mostly involved a continuous process of re-committing to some interest or field, or even following a value.

Interesting, thanks for your perspective. I know you said you're starting shallow, but I want to know, 'what IS willpower?' Is it simply an idea? Or is it simply the force of vision, of passion to expand the threshold as you said?

Edited by Lucas Kehr
Punctuation error

It's the ability to surpress short term gain urges to achieve a long term goal desired

50 minutes ago, ilja said:

It's the ability to surpress short term gain urges to achieve a long term goal desired

That's great, but is the ability developed or is the strength of the ability determined by the clarity and aspiration of the vision?

I'm now beginning to feel that discipline is too simple to accept; it's the acceptance of discomfort, pain, and suffering through deliberate action and awareness for the sake of growth and change.