Wisebaxter

When I'm not aware that I'm aware, am I still aware?

20 posts in this topic

For example, if I suddenly realise I've just been daydreaming, and I was unaware of awareness, lost in thought etc, could you say that I was at all conscious? I find this hard to investigate as by the time I do the experience has already passed and I'm looking backwards. There's no recollection, or experience of being aware. Just a memory. Is there always awareness to some degree? 

This presupposes that there is an "I" which is aware, awareness is aware no matter the content, awareness is aware of day dreaming , thoughts, etc , look at experience. 

Is it anytime when awareness is not aware?

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

Well in the moment after you've daydreamed you now are aware that you daydreamed in this moment. So the experience of the (no awareness) is within awareness right now. It's the same with sleeping every night. It's not that awareness disappeared but you are aware right now spinning a story of how you were unaware for a time. Never are you actually unaware, that would be a direct contradiction to your ability to even say that.

It's tricky but ultimately everything is resting in awareness at this moment. There is never an unaware moment. There is only now where you are aware of X .

X being anything at all including the story you spin about your entire past and moments of supposed "unawareness"

12 hours ago, Wisebaxter said:

Yes, you need to be there to be able to tell us your story as being unaware. 

Awarness can also experience being unaware if he wants to, but in reality there's no such thing for awarness to be literally unaware, it's just impossible, you are AWARE all the time.

Edited by m0hsen

9 hours ago, m0hsen said:

Awarness can also experience being unaware if he wants to, but in reality there's no such thing for awarness to be literally unaware, it's just impossible, you are AWARE all the time.

I wonder how it works when we're unaware eg asleep, under anaesthetic etc. The body is still producing sensations like breathing, sounds still entering the ears, pain if we're having an operation or tooth out etc. So is conscious awareness just a fraction of the whole? As in, perception can be conscious or unconscious, and what I consider to be 'my awareness' only the tip of the iceberg of the 'greater me'? 

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

@snowyowl I am contemplating that currently, I believe this is not the tip of the iceberg, but just ego. I believe it is the not-allowing daydreaming and focusing on the sense of self habit which you call aware-me. I am asking the question:"What is stopping daydreming", and "What is happening while doing that". What's the difference between conscious thinking, and unconscious thinking.

Youre always aware. Awareness just focuses on different things. When youre daydreaming awareness is so focused on an image in your mind that physical reality dissappears for a while.

Source: Meditation experience.

However when we say you were unaware were talking about aware with a lowercase a and not Awareness with capital A.

Awareness with a capital A is always aware. 

Honestly its kind of a bad word to use, better to say you were not focused.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Can you be aware of not being aware?

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

2 hours ago, snowyowl said:

I wonder how it works when we're unaware eg asleep, under anaesthetic etc. The body is still producing sensations like breathing, sounds still entering the ears, pain if we're having an operation or tooth out etc. So is conscious awareness just a fraction of the whole? As in, perception can be conscious or unconscious, and what I consider to be 'my awareness' only the tip of the iceberg of the 'greater me'? 

Again you need to be there in those states to later come and describe your experience right? How can you not be in those states and then later be able describe those states?

you can only describe your experience of the deep sleep as being unaware in the waking state, so in relation to waking state, we consider deep sleep as being unaware, but do we say we are unaware in the deep sleep too?

Imagine you awarness could access a state different from your current state which you could also experience being 10 people all at once, when you change your state and switch to one person are you now less you? Did this switch change any fact about awarness? No, the way awarness paint himself changed, the dream changed, awarness didn't change. how awarness dream or paint himself cannot affect him. So from Awarness POV, there's no state which awarness can switch to and experience and can become literally unaware(an impossible change to reality, by the way, awarness paint himself) or less or more aware. Reality is unchangeable, otherwise it couldn't be reality.

Edited by m0hsen

Well, when you are daydreaming or asleep you can still be startled awake by a loud noise or a shake of the shoulder. So there is still some form of awareness even if attention is absorbed elsewhere. 

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

On 28/02/2021 at 3:13 AM, m0hsen said:

Can you be aware of not being aware?

Is it anytime when awareness is not aware?

@Adamq8 @Carl-Richard @m0hsen This was eluding me! Thanks. I think I was referring to the small I, y'know, the I that thinks it's only there when it has a thought saying 'I' am aware. 

Edited by Wisebaxter

On 2/27/2021 at 3:51 PM, Wisebaxter said:

Exactly. It's impossible to be not aware since you are awareness.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

You're only ever aware of the present moment. Everything else is imagination in the present moment. How many present moments are there?

All stories and explanations are false.

Awareness is like light. It comes in many degrees of intensity.

As the intensity increases it becomes more self-aware as it folds back in on itself.

You are always aware, but the question is, how intensely?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Awarness is the changless reality, 

Take a look at these paintings:

LAMA-Ad-Reinhardt-Black-Painting-Abstract-Painting-October2016-896x1024.jpg

museum-table-painting.jpg

Imagine the first painting is like deep sleep and the second painting is waking state.

So tell me guys, is the paper ( awarness) which is art and the artist more self-aware in the second painting? ;)

The way the artist paint himself cannot change a damn thing about himself which is pure awareness and is self-aware ALL THE TIME. 

Edited by m0hsen

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Awareness is like light. It comes in many degrees of intensity.

As the intensity increases it becomes more self-aware as it folds back in on itself.

You are always aware, but the question is, how intensely?

So basically you'd say that as much "unaware" you can be it can get close to 0 awareness but never reach it? Would you say that awareness during anesthesia is 0 or 0.000000001?

Edited by docs20

2 hours ago, docs20 said:

So basically you'd say that as much "unaware" you can be it can get close to 0 awareness but never reach it? Would you say that awareness during anesthesia is 0 or 0.000000001?

Anesthesia impacts wakefulness, not awareness.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

5 hours ago, docs20 said:

Would you say that awareness during anesthesia is 0 or 0.000000001?

There is no anesthesia. And sleep doesn't exist either. You only imagine that. 

Guys, if you ever want to sleep in your life, you gotta learn sleep yoga :P