Arian

How to stop arguing about truth all the time?

18 posts in this topic

Hi guys I have difficulty always arguing about non duality and truth everytime a friend asks a question I can't hold back but to explain these stuff but then at the end it just turns into an argument and a waste of energy and I regret it and I know that from beginning but it's difficult to hold back, specially when you see they are really interested but they are actually not they are just interested to argue I'm sure others have the same issue?

If someone had argued nonduality with you before you realized nonduality, what would your response have been? ;)

People only learn when they are ready to learn, and the motivation has to arise from within themselves. The best teaching you can offer is to simply be present.

Do not share this wisdom with anyone who lacks in devotion or self-control, lacks the desire to learn, or scoffs at me. Those who teach this supreme mystery of the Gita to all who love me perform the greatest act of love; they will come to me without doubt. No one can render me more devoted service; no one on earth can be more dear to me.

Bhagavad Gita 18:67-69

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

the truth needs no discussion and no defender ... correcting others in matters of truth is just ego and shows a low level of consciousness ... show people love not argument

Hmm... love not argument is fine, as far as it goes, but at some point one needs to make a start on the truth. I’ve found that many quite hard-headed people can see some truth in the teaching of the Three Poisons. It’s a Buddhist concept, which holds that the roots of all our suffering are within us, and they are Desire (or greed), Aversion (or Hate), and Delusion (which is the chief). 

This is a thin wedge, a small crack to encourage further discussion of suffering and the processes that lead to it, which eventually gives you the opportunity to discuss deeper spirituality such as interrelatedness, oneness, and other topics.

Edited by Bodhitree

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

1 hour ago, Arian said:

How to stop arguing about truth all the time?

To realize that any conversation is always between you&you. ;) 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

5 hours ago, Kalo said:

Don't be afraid to argue the Truth. Don't be afraid to get into an argument for the Truth.

Truth needs no one to argue in it's behalf. When there is Truth there is Truth. When there is not there is not.

7 hours ago, Arian said:

Hi guys I have difficulty always arguing about non duality

Have you tried placing hot coals on your tongue?

@Arian Imagine I would like to argue with you about Here and Now. I say that right now it's the year 200 B.C. and you are in a cave cooking dinosaur eggs that you captured this morning. 

Is that an argument you would engage in? Or would you consider that a waste of time?

7 hours ago, Arian said:

Hi guys I have difficulty always arguing about non duality and truth everytime a friend asks a question I can't hold back but to explain these stuff but then at the end it just turns into an argument and a waste of energy and I regret it and I know that from beginning but it's difficult to hold back, specially when you see they are really interested but they are actually not they are just interested to argue I'm sure others have the same issue?

Stop being so selfish and worrying about carrying others onto same journey you're on, let them walk their own path. If they aren't interested, great. If they do end up being interested, also great.

hrhrhtewgfegege

6 hours ago, allislove said:

To realize that any conversation is always between you&you. ;) 

Yeah that is right I should keep that in mind I think thanks

38 minutes ago, Nahm said:

If you’re arguing about nonduality, you aren’t actually talking about nonduality. 

That's right thanks for reminding

I got my answer since there is nothing to know but to only be consious about, there is no way arguing about knowledge will help someone become awake, but instead accepting and loving them may help

It can be difficult being passionate about spirituality and attempting to relate to 'normies.'  An attempt to relate to them can usually be perceived in a hostile way.  People don't like their world view questioned.  

There's a few ways to go about this, really it just comes down to have social intelligence and being tactful in conversation.  Try to relate on levels that normal people are capable.  Talk about finding peace through mediation or yoga, or something on a level that's very comfortable within the social context you are in.  That's what I do all the time and it works really well.  Most people love the idea of dabbling in eastern spiritual philosophy's albeit in a very surface level way, but at least it's something.  

The other obvious way is to not talk about it, but embody your understanding and spiritual progress.  You can spread love through silence too.  Love is not some spiritual narrative you learned to shove down everyone's throat.  

Not every spiritual conversation has to be you barking at someone about how they don't actually exist.  Lol, obviously a lot of people aren't going to respond well to that sort of stuff.  

Don't seek to invalidate. 

Non duality dependently arises with duality. 

Their perspective, although "delusional," is just as valid as yours. Their perspective is yours haha. 

Realize the perfection in their delusion.

Seek to expand their perspective rather than change their perspective. 

Also realize that "wasting energy" and "regret" are stories you're telling yourself. 

The conversation isn't inherently negative. You are perceiving it in a negative way.

It's not the conversation that causes you suffering but your relationship with it. 

Don't try to change the outcome of the conversation to find peace. 

Find peace that prevails regardless of the conversational outcome. 

@Arian You can argue and discuss truth. But, whether the talks brings you or the other person closer to truth is variable. 

You can get different things from a talk. Sometimes you can plant a seed that someone else has the option to water, get ideas for something to try, get practical advice and solutions. There are fun ways of dialogue I think, the way greek philosophers had, or dialogues where you try to reveal and make the shadow conscious. 

None of these things will be like meditation though ( haven't tried psychedelics), or even like intense self inquiry and contemplation. Because contemplation and self inquiry only works and makes the most progress when done individually

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Sometimes it helps when you see the perfection in people, regardless of if they understand non-duality.

If you think non-duality will "improve" their life, then it can make you get preachy.

But when you realize how perfect they are, regardless of whether or not they get non-duality, you can just chill with them.

Edited by Brittany