ArchangelG

Anyone into Languages??

46 posts in this topic

I've been getting into languages and polyglottary a lot lately, and thus guy is just truly amazing.

Anyone speaks several langauges? Which ones?

I speak English, Swedish, Hebrew and some Arabic.

Estonian, Finnish, Swedish, English and some Russian. Languages are cool?

My native language Macedonian. Excellent Serbian; Croatian;  Pretty good English; Basic knowledge German and Russian, on the way to learn Spanish. 

I've been teaching myself Spanish. The process of learning a new language is fun and fascinating. 

"You Create Magic" 

Been teaching myself Japanese for the past month. I already speak Hindi and English.

Always found learning multiple languages redundant, ratter put that energy mastering a skill. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

I'm learning the language of Lurve, but haven't found someone to practise with yet. Yeah ok, alright, erm... I have fluency in Spanish and some comprehension of French and Swedish. There's another language as well, which I forget now.

All stories and explanations are false.

@integral

15 minutes ago, integral said:

Always found learning multiple languages redundant, ratter put that energy mastering a skill. 

How is learning multiple languages not skill ?

How is it redundant ? 

Not everything comes down to making money. 

There's other forms of value. 

I could list about 100 reasons why it's great to learn a language. 

I honestly can't think of many things that offer more return. 

Learning Spanish is almost as important as learning English if you're an adventurous, social type as well, a lot countries speak Spanish. 

I personally love travelling & socializing though so maybe It's less valuable for introverts. 

But even for introverts, when you learn a new language it opens you up to whole new world. Learning a language is actually a META skill - you end up learning how to learn generally, + you should improve social ability + maybe ten other skills. 

Edited by Striving for more

@Striving for more Its memorization and regurgitation of symbols. Instead of doing that i learned chess and music, which rewired my thought process significantly. 

Memorizing languages wont develop the mind.

I cant see a single benefit for learning another language unless its necessary for your survival.  

Instead of learning a new language, unlearn the ones your currently caged to, learn to think with out language

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral Must be all that chess that made You so stiff, can’t be the music?

Who’s to decide, what’s valuable to learn? Can it vary between different people? 

@At awe If the goal is self development, we can rank the value of learning a thing. Some are better then others. 

lol chess mastery trains a flexible and adaptive mind. Because nothing else works, you just keep losing thinking any other way.

German, English, Russian and some French.

It's funny you know, the more languages you speak, the less I think you're prone to get fooled by language as such. That is to say, you are less likely to confuse the map with the territory because you see that the world is in fact not what we call it. 

Spanish Polish German English basic french and anime japanese ?

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

1 hour ago, integral said:

Memorizing languages wont develop the mind.

I cant see a single benefit for learning another language unless its necessary for your survival.  

Learning different languages can make you more aware of certain types of cultural and psychological dynamics, which can help widen your perspective. For example, I've noticed that there is a lower threshold for using profane language outside your mother tongue, because unlike in your first language, you weren't taught to make those associations throughout your upbringing, thus it doesn't carry the same emotional weight.

1 hour ago, integral said:

learn to think with out language

How can you think without language?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I speak Norwegian, English, Spanish (rusty). Norwegians can also generally communicate with Swedes and Danes :P (I say generally, because there are some Norwegians that can't even communicate with eachother xD).

These two people are technically speaking the same language but they're struggling so hard :D:

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@integral

42 minutes ago, integral said:

@At awe If the goal is self development, we can rank the value of learning a thing. Some are better then others. 

lol chess mastery trains a flexible and adaptive mind. Because nothing else works, you just keep losing thinking any other way.

Who ranks the value of learning a thing? Is it the person who’s learning or is it someone else’s ranking system? In case it’s someone else’s, who’s is the “best”? Why?

The chess part was a joke, I also play?

44 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Learning different languages can make you more aware of certain types of cultural and psychological dynamics, which can help widen your perspective. For example, I've noticed that there is a lower threshold for using profane language outside your mother tongue, because unlike in your first language, you weren't taught to make those associations throughout your upbringing, thus it doesn't carry the same emotional weight.

What im taking from this is, you've been holding back some heavy profanity. :) 

Of course there are things to learn, but its not necessary to memorize a thousand symbols to get these insights. Asking the right questions will get the job done.

44 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

How can you think without language?

its always been this way, as children we are trained to convert our raw thoughts into language, a slow and unnecessary extra step. Instead work with the raw thoughts directly. 

Flow states are language free. Musicians play music with out subvocalizing, chess masters calculate 20 moves into the future in silence. Mastery is in silence. By working with the raw thoughts directly, thinking becomes a rapid sequence of intuitions. Takes practice to move away from verbally asking a question to just knowing the question. Holding the knowing in awareness, instead of the symbols.  

40 minutes ago, At awe said:

Who ranks the value of learning a thing? Is it the person who’s learning or is it someone else’s ranking system? In case it’s someone else’s, who’s is the “best”? Why?

hmm we are trying to identify what training our mind is exposed to when learning a skill. There is good training and bad training, we need to be aware of what we are exposing our selves to. In the case of language learning, we are training the ability to memorize symbols and repeat them. That's the core repetitive action taken. That's what we are communicating to our mind system.