Virtus

Do sports provide any value?

18 posts in this topic

So I am passionate about becoming professional athlete but I know @Leo Gura doesn’t have good opinion about sports (or so I remember).

Can someone explain to me? 

imagine being Novak Đoković, Being number 1 on the WHOLE planet, so much effort, so much focus, so much faith, so much perfection. sports are good. sports=spirituality in my opinion ;)

3 hours ago, Virtus said:

So I am passionate about becoming professional athlete but I know @Leo Gura doesn’t have good opinion about sports (or so I remember).

Who cares about Leo's opinion on sports, what the hell

10 minutes ago, Tim R said:

xDxDxD

νοῦς ὑγιής ἐν σώματι ὑγιεῖ (old greek)

a healthy mind in a healthy Body 

Junius Juvenalis 

I think it’s more a case of the tribal like nature of sports fanatics, fans of teams things like that he talks about in that sense. He clearly respects the talents and attitude of focused sportsmen and people. Infact he stated that in one of his recent videos. If there’s a talent then express it. An enlightened athlete would be quite something. I wonder how an enlightened athlete would approach competition? Would an enlightened person be even interested in competing? Or would they just compete for the pure joy of expressing their talent with no attachment to winning or losing? Which kind of defeats the object as an athlete competes to win, or certainly at the top end level of sports anyway. But then I’d be surprised if a pro athlete could even awaken due the the amount of focus that would have to be directed to the sport. Also the use of psychedelics is out of the question whilst competing for a number of reasons. Be the sportsman if that’s what you want, keep your spiritual interest, then when that’s all said and done, mid 30’s usually, there’s more than enough time to awaken

Value ain't an objective thing, value comes from someone finding value in something.
There are a lot of people who value sports, and for many different reasons. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

@Virtus You do you. 

Leo's work is about becoming a massive value provider and powerful creator.

Nothing wrong with being an athlete, and you can definitely make the works a better place. However, you have to become a competitor and sports are generally a low conscious affair. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

It can be a nice hobby to have and can put you in a flow state. I'm sure you can also incorporate a strategic/creative element into it like with any skill. It's also a good way to stay active. If it makes you happy, go for it.  Why you're drawn to something is more important than what you're drawn to imo. 

Personally, that was my experience with sports growing up. But even if I liked it, I never caught myself drawn to just watching sports. I can see the appeal but a lot of it does have tribalistic tendencies wrapped up in it. Sometimes I watch sports with family just to spend time with them and I can appreciate the skill that the players are displaying and the mastery but when it comes to supporting a certain team over another usually on a country basis like when you're watching soccer/football, I just don't care that much and don't get emotionally worked up about it. I think it is this aspect Leo was talking about in his video on wisdom. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

Look up ido portal, not really a sports guy but someone that practices movement at a integrated level, I don't think what you do matters all that much but why you are doing it is much more important 

I think if youre genuinely passionate about something and it makes you happy, healthy and doesn't hurt anyone start doing that thing instead of being in the head and over rationalizing it 

6 hours ago, Thought Art said:

@Virtus However, you have to become a competitor and sports are generally a low conscious affair. 

no

@blackchair No? Can you elaborate? How you gonna be a pro athlete if you aren't competing? Bar something like rock climbing.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Virtus mastery and exploring the limits of the body. 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

i think the better question is, is it right for you rather than if it is right objectively 

it is very hard for me to tell you if sports is right for you or not because it is incredibly subjective depending on you and your life situation.. 

for me - playing esports was unoptimal but at the same time i learnt many lessons and it was fulfilling in many ways. 

Edited by Jacob Morres

9 hours ago, Thought Art said:

@blackchair No? Can you elaborate? How you gonna be a pro athlete if you aren't competing? Bar something like rock climbing.

i find sports except gymnastics, "boring" BUT take football, you have 11 players who have to be in perfect sync to won world cup, i think pro athletes can easily reach turquoise......

23 hours ago, Tim R said:

Literally LOL.