Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EternalDream

Reading vs. listening to books

11 posts in this topic

Hello fellow actualizers,

what are your experiences regarding listening to and reading of books? 

When Iistening to audio books, I would progress with the books much faster than with reading. But I probably wouldn't remember that much of it, even If I listen carefully. 

I mean, because I take notes while reading non-fiction books, those books would fall out anyways. But what about books like biographies ect.?

For me, listening to audiobooks is easier than reading because I've developed my listening skill over the years. But, I'm also starting to read more.

Edited by Abdelghafar

What do you say Leo? @Leo Gura

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

I found multitasking works very poorly for studying (unless you listen in public transport, etc) and when you're 100% focused audiobooks are just x5 slower and less effective comprehension wise. Setting speed on 2x doesn't really help, it's still x5 slower and x5 less effective comprehension compared to a good reading technique

Edited by Hello from Russia

Reading is faster for me even when vs x2 speed listening.

Reading also allows for easier comprehension and sometimes, there are bold words or tables or formulas which make the whole understanding much faster. 

For listening, the tonality and the way it is spoken is very important.

If I manage to borrow from library, I will usually get both. Then for the chapters I deem as important, I will read it.

I find reading to be a lot better for deep learning, also note taking and contemplating while reading can make it even deeper.

Audiobooks are great for walks or waiting for the bus. 

I like Headway for microbooks and  I use the apple books app for audiobooks

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Agree about reading, but the density of ideas in audio format is often higher (ie. Leo's videos).  You can also listen to audio while doing other things, like folding laundry, working out, commuting, driving, etc.  For busy people, this is very helpful.

It's easier for me to read, and I know this because there was a time when I didn't have a phone and just read anything on the shelf to pass time. Wish I had more money to buy books lol. 

I haven't listened to audiobooks but I tend to absorb content just fine through audio (which are actually videos, but those that I listen to while walking outside).

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

I find that dense/informational/abstract books are much better in text format while biographies or books with some kind of storyline are better in audio. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

On 2/25/2021 at 1:40 PM, Flyboy said:

Agree about reading, but the density of ideas in audio format is often higher (ie. Leo's videos).  You can also listen to audio while doing other things, like folding laundry, working out, commuting, driving, etc.  For busy people, this is very helpful.

This is false. The density of books is far denser than videos. Leo admits that himself, why he has the reading list. If you do all those others things while listening to audiobooks you likely aren't absorbing it as fully as you could otherwise.

Listening also tends to be more passive, while reading is more active. That is why it is harder to read cuz you gotta use your brain, emotional labour and focus.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

What is really important for me when it comes to comprehension is that whenever I read/ hear about something new, a new concept, a new connection, anything, that I stop to contemplate about it for a bit. This really helps with actually integrating it into your understanding. You can really observe "Am I getting what is being pointed to?", & eventually get an intuative sense of if you are getting it, & what you aren't well you are enjoying the material. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart.