Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt23

How to Optimally Harness Excitement?

6 posts in this topic

Hey.  

So I've had this thing happen often which is I get tons of excitement and energy to do things, sometimes after visioning a really great vision, but I don't necessarily have anything specific that I can direct that excitement towards.  This can lead to that excitement and energy feeling like it gets wasted and not used and I'm left with all this built up energy but no outlet.  

Sometimes I also feel like the excited energy is very chaotic and like it's hard to make use of it.  So recently I've been actually trying to work on reducing the intensity of it so that I don't feel an overabundance of energy with not outlet.  Almost like tons of energy but no grounding-outlet or something... almost feels like "airy" and not the best degree of energy to be productive or fulfilled with.

How do you guys channel your excitement

Do you try to find any outlet at all to channel that energy towards without trying to reduce or suppress the feeling?

Or do you try to suppress the feeling to something that's more manageable and can work with?

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I feel it would be useful to contemplate about a balence between energy & focus. I get like this sometimes where there is way too much energy not enough focus, or the other way around. When I feel I have too much energy I find it is good to do some concentration practices until an insight comes about where this energy is trying to move to.

What does this energy want to create?

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

That makes sense and feels somewhat right.  I dunno... it's more of like just excitmenent and then i have to find something to do or create wit it.  I think often that ideally it would be doing something with others... like just creating and spitballing with others into some event or project together... maybe some sort of play.  I dunno.

Kinda feels like "there's so much to do and so much energy!!! ... but how to harness it feels hard cuz i feel i dunno what to do.

11 hours ago, Matt23 said:

Kinda feels like "there's so much to do and so much energy!!!

There is probably multiple charges trying to go in multiple different directions, like this part of me wants to go work out, this part of me wants to go read a book, this part of me wants to go paint a picture. Maybe sit down and try to visualize & write down all the things you want to see yourself doing, so it is more right in front of you. Then organize how you are gonna do those things.

Edited by OctagonOctopus

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

19 hours ago, Matt23 said:

after visioning a really great vision, but I don't necessarily have anything specific that I can direct that excitement towards.

A vision is always an idea of a destination that you would like to get to. Maybe you need to zoom in a bit into the vision you create and see what micro steps you need to take to get there? For example, you have a vision that you are going to be a very wise investor who know's everything about investing and how to make money. But when you have no experience, you don't know anything about how to get to that place. You start with researching what investing is about and what subfields are relevant to it. Then you start to practically get involved in them. Maybe getting a udemy course and start working on that, making notes, and trying to understand the concepts until you can connect it to other subfields of investing and slowly gain a big picture overview allowing you to be very insightful and make wise investing decisions. Maybe you can not direct your focus and excitement because you haven't contemplated the steps to get there enough? 

For me personally, I was always a result-orientated person with lots of juicy visions, but never had the motivation to work on it because I could not enjoy the proces. I did like the place it would get me, but never had passion for what was required to achieve it. Of course, It was frustrating because I would become very excited for this new amazing vision, but had 0 passion for the proces, so I couldn't put myself to work. My mind was very chaotic then of course. 

If this applies to you, I'd say, prioritize a vision that lets you be excited about what you are doing. And sometimes you just gotta force yourself if the vision is essential to your happiness. 

Some people's mind just works more linear than others. Creativity can be paralysing. May also be lack of dopamine which is supposed to make you feel motivated to actually do things. I have adhd and felt the same way (maybe I was just chronically bored by the badly chosen visions). This was/is a major problem for me.

Edited by JonasVE12

I feel like maybe the vision example wasn't great since, ya, I think I can usually think more clearly about what to do if I have a vision that's precise and can come up with loads of tasks (though of course, like most people, still struggle with the procrastination, but that's not really the issue I'm bringing up here).  I think this is more maybe about like just energy or excitement that arises spontaneously... like a sort of excited-creative-energetic muse...  a playful energy that feels it needs to be channeled or used.  And I get ideas of what to do, but then sometimes I'll feel like doing those things isn't "quite right" or deflates me or something (I think, not totally sure how accurate this is).  

Maybe I'm being too perfectionistic about how to use this feeling.  

But I also get the idea, and perhaps sense as well, that the best way to make use of this feeling productively is to reduce it and not get carried way by it.  Like it may be a sort of distraction where I feel excited and charged, but then time gets wasted since it's so "ungrounded" and seems to not be linked to any sort of "productive" or enjoyable activity (i.e., not grounded to anything, just feels like wasted thin-air).  I sort of get this impression.