StarStruck

Tame your Gremlin

7 posts in this topic

It is on the must read list:

It is an amazing short book. Very well put together and the concepts in this book connect with the book Mindset from Carol Dweck. How I see mindsets is like this: according to your mindset you judge life experiences (such as successes, failures and effort).

This book called "Tame your Gremlin" is focused more on your dark side. Your inner beast that a lot of people have a hard time taming. The book is basically focused making a distinction between your higher self (i.e higher observer of true self) and lower self (your Gremlin).

It is a no nonsense book. I read it with two sits. It is a classic self-help style written book. Very reader friendly. I'm amazed it is not popular on this forum and elsewhere. 5/5.

In Tate we trust

I like it, it's useful. I still use the noting technique. Its useful and in combination with Adversity Quotient and Guide to rational living they work together well. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 23-2-2021 at 4:13 AM, Thought Art said:

I like it, it's useful. I still use the noting technique. Its useful and in combination with Adversity Quotient and Guide to rational living they work together well. 

How do those books work together?

In Tate we trust

1. Taming your gremlin gets you to practice becoming aware of what is basically your limiting, neurotic inner voice. By noting this, you just simply notice the thought instead of fighting yourself. There is more too it, like feeling into your body and being present in the moment. Good for increasing overall awareness.

2. Guide to rational living is great for developing an understand of the difference between irrational and rational thinking that either create a happy meaningful life where you are able to see life in a way that allows you to achieve you goals, feel good about yourself and not have neurotic demands on reality, or belief about reality that cause you to create useless suffering and struggle.

Now that you are used to noting your gremlin, you can also use that technique to notice irrational beliefs and thoughts and begin to replace them with rational thoughts. 

Honestly, other books like the Six pillars of self esteem also come into play here. each book builds and fleshes out different aspects of a healthy mind.

3. Adversitiy Quotient helps you develop your AQ (like IQ or EQ but with Adversity). I personally found that the lower your AQ the more neurotic and gremlin voices you have and listen to without adequate awareness. 

So, by developing mindfulness through meditation and a noting technique like taming your gremlin you can begin to notice more often throughout the day when you have irrational thoughts or thoughts that are signs of having a low AQ score.

The three books work nicely together towards cracking the nut of thinking rationally, and having an internal set of systems that allow you to live a happy fulfilling life where your thoughts are sane, rational and life affirming and nuanced enough to meet the demands and challenges of life.

I can do it much justice here. Really have to read them, do the exercises for yourself I think.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I like calling that concept " your inner Cartman " Good recontextualization to not to take inner bitching seriously ;)

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

34 minutes ago, mmKay said:

I like calling that concept " your inner Cartman " Good recontextualization to not to take inner bitching seriously ;)

Good one.xD

In Tate we trust