Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Epikur

The movie The Platform.

17 posts in this topic

Warning: Spoilers

The movie is easy to follow, and presented with a simple premise.That everyone is trying to survive in a dystopian system where some people have it good while others have it really bad, for seemingly no reason other than pure luck. A prison split in levels (we learn in the end it is 333 levels), and a platform of a gluttonous, exquisite buffet travelling from from top to bottom, stopping for 2 minutes at every level. During that time, the level's 2 prisoners can eat all they want from that buffet. As they eat more than they need, the buffet deteriorates rapidly and by the time it reaches lower levels, there's no food left and people are starving and dying.

But everything is a metaphor.

The "Administration" is capitalism, the "Hole" is society. The Administration enables the people on top to have an extravagant meal, at the expense of starving people at the bottom, just like in society people on top grab all resources (money, real estate, natural resources), leaving the bottom with nothing, and capitalism enables that. The cooks prepare an exquisite meal but only people on the top level really enjoy it to the fullest, to the extent you could say the cooks only work for the people on level 1. As you could say capitalism only works for the 1% (or 0.3% if we go by the Hole's 333 levels).

@Epikur

My close friend is literally obsessed about this movie. He thinks it's very deep with the metaphors, and accurate with all of its details. I find it rather simplistic and impractical since the hero represents Jesus, and we've had several Jesuses throughout history without ever succeeding in solving poverty or removing hierarchy.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

I think this came up in the stage green spiral dynamics thread a while back.

Honestly, the movie isn’t very good imo.

If you’re a fan of horror you may enjoy it but aside from its overly obvious metaphor and cool premise there isn’t much here except some gross scenes and preaching to the choir.

@Gesundheit

I liked the fresh new angle here in order to represent the problems of ethics. Ethics could be seen as a mathematical problem. Once we have the right algorithm that maybe the AI will create for us things will go smooth.

This movie could be seen as a way to put the problem in a lab and try to find the algorithm.

22 minutes ago, Epikur said:

@Gesundheit

Ethics could be seen as a mathematical problem.

Logic obeys emotions, not the other way around. It's impossible to confine emotions within a set of logical rules.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

@Gesundheit

One could argue that emotions follow scientific laws that is logic. You can manipulate and control emotions with certain tools to some degree.

Edited by Epikur

4 minutes ago, Epikur said:

@Gesundheit

One could argue that emotions follow scientific laws that is logic. You can manipulate and control emotions with certain tools to some degree.

Of course, but what is the motive behind manipulating emotions in the first place? Is it logical or emotional?

There are no illogical emotions. 

The motivation comes from and is emotion. These emotions can not work outside of logic. 

You don't even need motivation. Just random environment will influence your emotions.

1 hour ago, Epikur said:

There are no illogical emotions.

Oh, yes, there are. Reality is not logical, it's a-logical. And so are humans.

Logic = limitation, but human imagination is unlimited. You want to limit the unlimited and confine the human experience into a certain easily expected way, which is impossible.

Imposing limitations onto the human experience will result in lack of creativity, which will result in death eventually. But reality is smarter than that, hence why it's a-logical.

Being boundless is not a bug, it's a feature.

Edited by Gesundheit

If the human mind is so creative I must say I am not impressed 

2 minutes ago, Epikur said:

If the human mind is so creative

It is, to the extent of creating problems out of thin air.

14 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

It is, to the extent of creating problems out of thin air.

Still it is not so much compared to infinity. It is basically chimps stuff. I think with the help of AI we will get much more of it.

1 minute ago, Epikur said:

Still it is not so much compared to infinity.

This is infinity. Infinity cannot get more infinite, because otherwise it wouldn't be infinity. What you're thinking of as infinity is in fact just a finite concept that doesn't actually exist.

But I get what you mean, you want more equality, and that seems reasonable and possible, although not easy. But still, with more evolution, reality can have different orders. Evolution decreases the impossible by increasing what's possible. Infinite intelligence.

@Epikur  I watched this film, was pretty dope. I wouldn't rewatch it but it was good 

"Shhh Shhh relax and let me eat some of your flesh, my pretty snail" - crazy old guy 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao "Obviously" xD

4 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

@lmfao "Obviously" xD

oh lord 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.