Rilles

What Value Do Musicians Provide?

70 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Without even going into value for others, a talent like Music creation is something I always wish I had the talent for, it is almost like Self-Therapy for a lot of artists, and can be such a great form of expression even just as a hobby! 

@LfcCharlie4 Definitely agree with you, and I've made my peace with the idea of music being just a hobby for me, even though I'm trying and will continue to try to make a living from it. If it does remain a hobby, it will be just as significant for me.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

@Gili Trawangan I feel the same way. Though, I am putting my time right now into becoming a massive value provider over the next 5-10 years so I can put maximum time into music, poetry and spirituality. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Just now, Thought Art said:

@Gili Trawangan I feel the same way. Though, I am putting my time right now into becoming a massive value provider over the next 5-10 years so I can put maximum time into music, poetry and spirituality. 

@Thought Art Amen!

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

I think it’s crucial that music can reveal beauty to people who otherwise may have found little in life. Music can point people to the truth that there is something worth experiencing beyond survival.

Personally, I do think music contributed to my interest in spirituality. I was in choir in high school, and some of the pieces we would sing and listen to were so ethereally beautiful, they created a noticeable state change in my mind. I used to tell people it was “transportive”. It was like a therapeutic reset that got me interested in the impermanence of mood and the potential for beauty in reality.

It pointed my mind in a new direction that led to interest in psychedelics and meditation.

Edited by Matt Skinner

Here's an interesting documentary I found a few days ago.

I guess it's kinda relevant

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

For me creating music was one of the most challenging and spiritually rewarding things I ever did. It's cool when people respond to your music, or when you get a new fan, or when you create something new. There are so many elements to it. I've been trying to figure out life. I think the mastery of music and deliberate practice over a life time will be instrinsically rewarding. 

There are a LOT of good artists out there and I want to make something special. Could take me 3 or 4 more projects, but I believe I can get there. Especially with spiritual purification, deliberate practice and a solid financial and mental health.

I don't really care if its 'good' music. I want to be moved, to be shown something new, to learn about reality, to be guided somewhere new through the music. To me Jose Gonzalez and Arcadefire did that for me. Lots of other bands too of course in their own way. It's an amazing thing music exists.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

On 2/24/2021 at 9:52 AM, OctagonOctopus said:

Ah, why does the pretty girl have to be decapitated by a demon at the end? I like the spiritual/magic themes on this one better: 

@AtheisticNonduality

Hahaha, it is more about the music for me. I actually haven't watched the video very much. 
Sometimes you know the devil gets to decapitate someone, thats life :P

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

On 2/19/2021 at 8:04 PM, Preety_India said:

@Rilles that's about marketability, not so much about music itself 

First create music that you like. Then look for market and commercial compatibility. Having a good social network helps in selling your art in better places. 

I agree that it's saturated.  But so is literally everything else. Try your luck but don't invest too much money or time. 

Try many things so you have better chances of hitting a jackpot. 

The problem with trying many things is that you don't invest enough time to become good at something.