Rilles

What Value Do Musicians Provide?

70 posts in this topic

Just now, Rilles said:

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. ^_^

For me, asking what value musicians provide is like asking what value food, water and shelter provides xD

Quotation-Frank-Zappa-Information-is-not

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

9 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

For me, asking what value musicians provide is like asking what value food, water and shelter provides xD

Well, the question may seem stupid if youre not a musician but when youre the one who is going to provide that value it is very important. 

Can you answer me why emotion from music is important to you? Do you actually know that? What is it about it that is soooo important? Its just sound right...?! ^_^ How can sound create feeling??!! Isnt that weird??

Btw, Im sure if you contemplated "Why is shelter important?" You would find some pretty damn cool insights.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

25 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Can you answer me why emotion from music is important to you? Do you actually know that? What is it about it that is soooo important?

"Emotion" doesn't capture the magnitude of the experience. The feeling I get from music is identical to the feeling I get from awakening. It's Love. The immersion in the present moment is completely perfect; subject and object duality collapses. I understand it might not be like this for anyone, but for me it's undeniably so. People are different, but I believe every person must have atleast one thing in their life that resonates with them on this level. If not, I don't see how one can live life.

25 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Its just sound right...?! ^_^ How can sound create feeling??!! Isnt that weird??

The is-ness of sound is so profound, any description fails to capture it. Sound doesn't "create feeling". Sound IS, and it's completely amazing! You are the sound :) The depth and richness of sound is completely ineffeable.

Edited by Carl-Richard

3 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Wisdom is not truth? False

Truth is not beauty? False

Beauty is not love? False

Love is not music? False

Music is best? False

Man... this dude got a lot of stuff wrong :D

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Focus on serving with your music. I think arcade fire is a good case study. They basically went to war, night after night after night after night. They weren't taking no for an answer. his voice was harsh from singing and sing and singing and singing. They were pretty competitive too, always improving, writing better songs and pushing their limits. 

Here they are before they were big. They weren't asking permission, they were serving others.

Them a year or three later... after 2 years success

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

8 hours ago, Rilles said:
8 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

this the kind of dude that forgets the questions at the back of the test

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

I honestly don't know the answer to this. I make music because something compels me to do it. Does it have value? What is value anyway? Nothing really has value, or everything has value.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

55 minutes ago, Gili Trawangan said:

Does it have value? What is value anyway? Nothing really has value, or everything has value.

Value for others, obviously.

Don't get too metaphysical and relativistic here.

If no one is willing to pay for your music, then your music is of such poor quality is offers the world little value.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Value for others, obviously.

Don't get too metaphysical and relativistic here.

If no one is willing to pay for your music, then your music is of such poor quality is offers the world little value.

@Leo Gura Yeah, but if we're going down that route then that last sentence of yours is too simplistic. More often than not marketing plays such a big role in getting people to pay for your music. Practically speaking, one would have to get good at marketing in order to not only find an audience that resonates with the music, but also convince them to pay for it. So it's not just that: music that's paid for = good value. I don't think it's that simple.

2 hours ago, Gili Trawangan said:

So it's not just that: music that's paid for = good value. I don't think it's that simple.

Relatively speaking thats true, if you listen to death metal and buy all the records of your favourite artist thats because you value your image as a death metal fan and because you love the way the music makes you feel. Is it high consciousness value? Personally I wouldnt say so... But you cant say it doesnt sell. 

@Thought Art Arcade Fire is one of the most "value for your money" bands I have ever seen haha. Their live show was the best one I have ever been to. Really thoughtful and authentic band. 

Edited by Rilles

19 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Relatively speaking thats true, if you listen to death metal and buy all the records of your favourite artist thats because you value your image as a death metal fan and because you love the way the music makes you feel. Is it high consciousness value? Personally I wouldnt say so... But you cant say it doesnt sell. 

@Thought Art Arcade Fire is one of the most "value for your money" bands I have ever seen haha. Their live show was the best one I have ever been to. Really thoughtful and authentic band. 

@Rilles Yeah sure, but that's not even what I mean. Granted, music that sells has value. But I'm talking about all the music being made that doesn't sell, not because it doesn't have value for people, but because it doesn't even reach people in the first place. As a musician, you know that one of the most difficult things is getting your music heard. I don't mean liked or anything, just heard. I have no doubt that there are incredible musicians out there who, because they don't know how to get their music heard, would fall under this "no value" category. That's what I meant, I wasn't referring to higher or lower consciousness.

And yeah, Arcade Fire are great, I saw them live once in Brazil when they were still unknown, and it was a hell of a show :)

5 minutes ago, Gili Trawangan said:

Yeah sure, but that's not even what I mean. Granted, music that sells has value. But I'm talking about all the music being made that doesn't sell, not because it doesn't have value for people, but because it doesn't even reach people in the first place. As a musician, you know that one of the most difficult things is getting your music heard. I don't mean liked or anything, just heard. I have no doubt that there are incredible musicians out there who, because they don't know how to get their music heard, would fall under this "no value" category. That's what I meant, I wasn't referring to higher or lower consciousness.

True... quite paradoxical... Someone will always get left behind despite good marketing, its a gamble.

My post was more intended as a guideline, success is never guaranteed, you might die tommorrow. 

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Wisdom is not truth? False

Truth is not beauty? False

Beauty is not love? False

Love is not music? False

Music is best? False

Man... this dude got a lot of stuff wrong :D

Lel obviously he is talking about relative truth, beauty, love ;)

But like I've said, the level of immersion that a musician achieves through music is the closest he can get to Absolute Love, so for him, music IS the best :D

So here is what he's really saying:

Relative wisdom is not relative truth.

Relative truth is not relative beauty.

Relative beauty is not relative love.

Relative love is not Absolute Love.

Absolute Love is the best.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Bruhhhh, everyone has already said it but still 

MUSIC IS AMAZING! 

Musicians provide unlimited value as artists, they literally save lives with their music, inspire people, even are the fuel for teenagers to party to lol, the amount of value Artists like Musicians provide is priceless. 

Not to mention by doing what they love, they are spreading love & encouraging others to do what they love! 

Never underestimate the power of Artists- Musicians, Novelists, Painters, Creators etc! 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

On 2/19/2021 at 5:44 PM, Preety_India said:

Are you kidding me?

Music can move mountains. Music has the power where language fails. 

It's the language of the Gods. 

Everyone understands music even if they don't understand lyrics. 

This is beautiful, Music is the language of the Gods, I really like that! 

On 2/19/2021 at 8:24 PM, datamonster said:

I wouldn't want to live in a world without music. That's the value musicians provide.

Who would! there's a kind of music for every occasion!

Partying? Upbeat, fun music (not to mention Electronic / DnB etc) 

Happy? Plenty of music to fuel that 

Depressed? Plenty of music to express it 

Grief? Plenty of music to help you through it 

you get the point. 

You can't even put into words the value of great musicians and the impact they have on people's lives in sooooooooooooooo many ways

If you're a truly great Musician / Writer / Athlete etc you're greatest service can often be sharing your talents with the world, it is the least selfish thing you can do paradoxically

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

5 hours ago, Gili Trawangan said:

I honestly don't know the answer to this. I make music because something compels me to do it. Does it have value? What is value anyway? Nothing really has value, or everything has value.

Without even going into value for others, a talent like Music creation is something I always wish I had the talent for, it is almost like Self-Therapy for a lot of artists, and can be such a great form of expression even just as a hobby! 

I love music too, but personally I spend maybe 15 dollars a month on music if I am honest

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"