Rilles

What Value Do Musicians Provide?

70 posts in this topic

I am currently shaping my life purpose around music. I am thinking a lot about what massive value I can create through my music, and also bump into the fact that there is just so much music out there, as @Rilles already mentioned.

It is however still possible to create massive value with music and to be innovative. Innovation in and of itself is one of the cornerstones of creating massive value I guess. :D

For me personally, I think it is going to be on the intersection of several disciplines. I want to find a way to combine music creation with story, systems thinking and consiousness work. 

A great example of life purpose through music (among many others) is Melodysheep, who combines 3D art, music, video editing, and scientific topics to re-imagine the way we educate our young: 

23 minutes ago, Rob06 said:

I am currently shaping my life purpose around music. I am thinking a lot about what massive value I can create through my music, and also bump into the fact that there is just so much music out there, as @Rilles already mentioned.

It is however still possible to create massive value with music and to be innovative. Innovation in and of itself is one of the cornerstones of creating massive value I guess. :D

For me personally, I think it is going to be on the intersection of several disciplines. I want to find a way to combine music creation with story, systems thinking and consiousness work. 

A great example of life purpose through music (among many others) is Melodysheep, who combines 3D art, music, video editing, and scientific topics to re-imagine the way we educate our young: 

Yes, of course, theres alot of possibility of mixing music with other avenues nowadays. Personally I use the Life Purpose to help me figure out my niche in music, Im not really into mixing it with other things, but of course the possibilities are endless. :) For example VR/AR music videos will be amazing when they get popular.  

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Requirements: must be Stage Yellow/Turquoise. Green political content is also good but should come from a higher understanding.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:48 AM, Rilles said:

The music business is so oversaturated, everyone takes music for granted, you have to provide massive value to stand out.

This is true of any business, any industry, ever.

That is the whole point of business. Business is not about doing whatever pleases your soul. Business is about serving others.

Nevertheless, you can find a balance between the two, as I have.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Random off topic question @Leo Gura.

What countries have you been to?

Cheers.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

For the music I personally like there is huge empty space in the market and not so many musicians are actually doing it. Maybe it will change your perspective. 

The problem is that you're looking at the most popular genres and I'll admit they are overused for sure. We indeed don't need some new pop singer who will sound quite the same.

We need something new, new ways of doing music. And there is an infinity of these ways as the nature of creativity itself is infinite. Just need to acknowledge it and tap into it

Edited by Hello from Russia

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

For the music I personally like there is huge empty space in the market and not so many musicians are actually doing it. Maybe it will change your perspective. 

The problem is that you're looking at the most popular genres and I'll admit they are overused for sure. We indeed don't need some new pop singer who will sound quite the same.

We need something new, new ways of doing music. And there is an infinity of these ways as the nature of creativity itself is infinite. Just need to acknowledge it and tap into it

What music is that?

Thats where Ikigai comes in... Ive listened to every genre of music like ever... over 10 years, and electronic is what I love. If I try to do something "new" just to "suceed" but my heart is not in it that will show and I will get bored quick.

I dont think I have to reinvent the wheel or anything, just do something that stands out, silly example: Polka/Drum n Bass with Bulgarian Choir influences, you get the point. 

Good point, recently I have realized how important tools are for music, if you limit yourself you find new avenues, for example, in the 80s poor folks couldnt afford instruments so they use vinyl records and looped them with cheap drum machines... Tada... Hip-Hop!

7 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

@Rilles Various music that raises frequency that has some deep vocals or uses instruments similar to bowls/big bells

Tuvan throat singing? Chanting?

Edited by Rilles

22 minutes ago, Rilles said:

Tuvan throat singing? Chanting?

This can work too, I guess. Basically, any music that elevates your state of consciousness and puts you in a more meditative/heightened state of cognition - a lot of stuff can work, but this is my main criteria, pretty much.

I love listening to this shamanette for example:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtnrfpKiOa3gwPZ89wobkuQ/videos

Her music puts me in a very nice state

43 minutes ago, Hello from Russia said:

This can work too, I guess. Basically, any music that elevates your state of consciousness and puts you in a more meditative/heightened state of cognition - a lot of stuff can work, but this is my main criteria, pretty much.

I love listening to this shamanette for example:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtnrfpKiOa3gwPZ89wobkuQ/videos

Her music puts me in a very nice state

Not my cup of tea. But I can see the value/niche and why its a good market for spirituality. :) 

Edited by Rilles

I’m an actor/singer/musician/creative, and I found this really eye-opening and affirming. Of course, survival needs and sustainability must be accounted for, so balance is key.

Edited by Matt Skinner

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This is true of any business, any industry, ever.

That is the whole point of business. Business is not about doing whatever pleases your soul. Business is about serving others.

Nevertheless, you can find a balance between the two, as I have.

Exactly! Thats why I love Ikigai, which you mentioned in your course, although you didnt use that term.

What you love - What youre good at - What you can be paid for - What the world needs

If you can combine all of those youre set. Ome without the other will always make you feel like youre lacking something, you can be good at computers and get paid for it but be miserable, you can be great at music but noones paying you for it which means youre not surviving well. 

@Matt Skinner Thats a great video!

Edited by Rilles

Used to listen to this one a lot, throbbing gristle definatly had an influence on my music.

Oneohtrix Point Never's ablum Replica is a good one xD

The band that really made me want to create my own stuff though was Boards of Canada

Music has such a profound influence on culture, it is fancinating to contemplate about all the different types & the kinds of people that listen it. 
You could start making music to spread any kind of message you want, and if it is something that touches the people, you will move mountains. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

5 minutes ago, OctagonOctopus said:

Used to listen to this one a lot, throbbing gristle definatly had an influence on my music.

Oneohtrix Point Never's ablum Replica is a good one xD

The band that really made me want to create my own stuff though was Boards of Canada

Music has such a profound influence on culture, it is fancinating to contemplate about all the different types & the kinds of people that listen it. 
You could start making music to spread any kind of message you want, and if it is something that touches the people, you will move mountains. 

Boards Of Canada is my favourite duo of all time. ❤️ Highly influential. They just make me appreciate the beauty and mystery of nature, I dont know how they do it, their music has such infinite depth, you feel like you go back to some primordial blissful childhood state haha. Except for Geogaddi, that shit is eerie as hell. xD

@Rilles

Aparently they wanted to make Geogaddi seem like it was made by the devil, hense why it is 66 minutes and 6 seconds long, hahaha :D
Still honestly one of my favorite albums, although Music Has the Right to Children is the one I always find myself going back to.

Tycho's main influence was BOC, he did an amazing job integrating guitar music and electionic music. You can really feel the inspiration he got off of them. 

I have had many nights of walking around listening to BOC, getting lost in it, thinking about existence, the beauty of nature. They really do send you to some far out places. 

13 minutes ago, OctagonOctopus said:

@Rilles

Aparently they wanted to make Geogaddi seem like it was made by the devil, hense why it is 66 minutes and 6 seconds long, hahaha :D
Still honestly one of my favorite albums, although Music Has the Right to Children is the one I always find myself going back to.

Tycho's main influence was BOC, he did an amazing job integrating guitar music and electionic music. You can really feel the inspiration he got off of them. 

I have had many nights of walking around listening to BOC, getting lost in it, thinking about existence, the beauty of nature. They really do send you to some far out places. 

I know! There are so many weird samples in that album, The Devil Is In The Details sounds like some satanic affirmation brainwashing haha!

Yeah MHTRTC is my favourite too. Dont forget to check out their EPs too, A Beautiful Place Out In The Country and also Hi Scores is great!

Ive never listened to Tycho... maybe I will give him a shot!

Me too! Definitely something spiritual about their music, it opens up a portal to nature, for sure, its like musical animism. 

@Rilles

You know Magic Window is the best song on the album :P

I have listen to A Beautfiul Place Out In The Country many times, some of their best synth design. One time I listened to Trans Canada Highway, while driving along the Trans-Canada Highway.

Tycho has a much brighter atmosphere, he really mixes guitars and synths together well, to the point where you sometimes can't tell what is what. I would listen to his album Dive first.

Edited by OctagonOctopus

If you have to ask that question, I feel very sorry for you :(

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

22 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

If you have to ask that question, I feel very sorry for you :(

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. ^_^