Stomatopod

Death of Rush Limbaugh

66 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2021 at 2:45 AM, NOTintoxicated said:

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't wish death upon harmful conscious agents

Because it interferes with the free will of conscious agents. All conscious agents have the freedom to be malevolent or confused (Rush was at least one of those 2).

In my likely somewhat distorted but well-formed view:

The only time it is permissible to interfere with the free will of conscious agents is when they interfere (for instance, by murdering, stealing, etc) with the free will of other conscious agents, such that interfering with the free will of the offending conscious agent (for instance, by isolating them in prison) would expectedly result in a net positive increase in freedom for all conscious agents... That freedom must include the ability to display malevolence and/or confusion, as well as (my personal preference) love and/or wisdom.

One could maybe argue Rush meets that criteria, but I wouldn't be so sure.

And yes, "free will" isn't actually real -- that's not the kind of free will I'm talking about -- I'm not talking on that level.

Edited by The0Self

@NOTintoxicated Good and evil are subjective.

Also, I take it that photo you posted was aimed towards me, correct? If so, it's clear that you currently have no intentions of having a respectful discussion. All I can say is I hope that one day you find more compassion and have less hatred in your heart. I think reading Conversations with God would help you.

@Leo Gura I apologize if it sounded like I was defending Rush, let me explain:

Growing up, listening to Rush Limbaugh was a way for me to connect with my Dad and my Grandpa. We didn't have much in common otherwise, but we could always bond over sitting and listening to the radio. Growing up with more conservative values instilled in me, one thing my family and I could agree on was that the Democrats were ruining America, and we needed to get back to old American values, and the way things used to be. It probably also contributed to why I'm such a nostalgic person too.

I no longer consider myself Conservative/Republican, instead more of a Centrist/Independent, and over the past couple years I was beginning to see the toxicity of his grievance politics, but when Rush Limbaugh died, it stirred a more emotional reaction in me. Because I had a lot of sentimental memories with family attached to his radio show. Listening to him so consistently for so many years, it felt as if a good friend or family member had died. So perhaps I wasn't seeing things very clearly.

After making my initial posts, I took some time off and thought things through, as well as doing more research on a lot of the stuff that Rush had said in the past, and now I'm somewhat ashamed for sticking up for him the way that I did. So many of his views are downright shameful. I used the Obama comparison because he was Rush's main topic of criticism for nearly a decade and I knew he was a figure that is seen as more conscious here, but now I regret doing so. I still think Obama could have been more conscious, considering the drone strikes, but since Bush, Obama and now Biden is doing them as well (even though he is at least limiting them), it's unfair to call Obama out for it specifically when it was done by every President in the past two decades.

However, the only thing I still believe is that people like Rush should be allowed to have their views, not matter how toxic you and I may believe them to be. From their perspective, many of our views could be toxic as well. Even though I know that being Progressive is inherently more conscious than Conservatism, I still believe they should be allowed to have their own shows and have their own speakers ( whether they should be on public radio is another story)/ But they're people too. I used to be one of them. Heck, it took until the US Capitol being breached for me to totally disavow Trump for similar reasons to Rush. I had so many positive memories bonding with my family over Trump and the Republican world, when there was so little else for us to bond over. But when I saw a President show so little empathy and take so little responsibility for a breach that by proxy led to the death of an innocent police officer, among several others, it finally broke the conditioning and made me realize who the man really was at heart. And even for it take that long for me to see him for who he truly was makes me feel ashamed I was duped for so long and not conscious enough to see it. But at least I finally did see it after all.

I just wanted to make this one final post to apologize for any hostility and explain why I had the reaction that I did, and also to let you know that I did give thought to what you had said.

All the best.

4 hours ago, EternalForest said:

@NOTintoxicated Good and evil are subjective.

Congratulations, @EternalForest you are the 1 millionth person to conflate relative truths with absolute truths.

Evil may be a contruct of the ego but this doesn't change the logistics of preferring that certain conscious agents return to the infinite source and drop dead, rather than inflict objective harm upon other conscious agents. 

@NOTintoxicated 

Also, I take it that photo you posted was aimed towards me, correct? If so, it's clear that you currently have no intentions of having a respectful discussion.

A recurring theme I've noticed amongst spiritual junkies is yet again making a burden. When their ego is affronted in some regard, instead of acknowledging the narrow mindedness that led to such an easy negation of their perspective, it's typically favorable to just reproach their verbal opposition on a flimsily conjured basis of moral superiority.

@NOTintoxicated All I can say is I hope that one day you find more compassion and have less hatred in your heart.

If I had a nickel for every time I've been haphazardly patronized through the facade of moral concern, I'd be several tax brackets up the line, albeit the irony of a Rush Limbaugh apologist telling me to live less hatefully has to be a the richest punchline this universe could conjure.

What a farce.

5 hours ago, EternalForest said:

@NOTintoxicated 

I think reading Conversaons with God would help you.

I must be beyond help since I've already read it, but while we're presumtively making pompous life prescriptions under the bogus guise of concerned helpfulness, why don't you consider adding this to your reading list.

111892472X.jpg

As a morally righteous and deeply concerned troll I believe this will help you avoid falling prey to the rhetorical tricks of senseless demagogues like Limbaugh or Trump. 

It will also assist you in coming to grips with the inconvenient truth of our collective responsibility to cultivate a cultural disdain for evil, rather than muddle the atmosphere with erroneously virtuous tolerance towards outright depravity, lest you prefer that the fascists and neo-nazis quietly slip out the back door unabashed and unopposed as morally righteous fools cling to a ramshackle identity of allegedly noble integrity in their naive refusal to relish the deaths of horrible people.

@NOTintoxicated

4 hours ago, NOTintoxicated said:

Congratulations, @EternalForest you are the 1 millionth person to conflate relative truths with absolute truths.

Evil may be a contruct of the ego but this doesn't change the logistics of preferring that certain conscious agents return to the infinite source and drop dead, rather than inflict objective harm upon other conscious agents. 

A recurring theme I've noticed amongst spiritual junkies is yet again making a burden. When their ego is affronted in some regard, instead of acknowledging the narrow mindedness that led to such an easy negation of their perspective, it's typically favorable to just reproach their verbal opposition on a flimsily conjured basis of moral superiority.

If I had a nickel for every time I've been haphazardly patronized through the facade of moral concern, I'd be several tax brackets up the line, albeit the irony of a Rush Limbaugh apologist telling me to live less hatefully has to be a the richest punchline this universe could conjure.

What a farce.

I must be beyond help since I've already read it, but while we're presumtively making pompous life prescriptions under the bogus guise of concerned helpfulness, why don't you consider adding this to your reading list.

111892472X.jpg

As a morally righteous and deeply concerned troll I believe this will help you avoid falling prey to the rhetorical tricks of senseless demagogues like Limbaugh or Trump. 

It will also assist you in coming to grips with the inconvenient truth of our collective responsibility to cultivate a cultural disdain for evil, rather than muddle the atmosphere with erroneously virtuous tolerance towards outright depravity, lest you prefer that the fascists and neo-nazis quietly slip out the back door unabashed and unopposed as morally righteous fools cling to a ramshackle identity of allegedly noble integrity in their naive refusal to relish the deaths of horrible people.

You win the most offensive user award, for being the most hateful and negative user this forum has graced.

3 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

You win the most offensive user award, for being the most hateful and negative user this forum has graced.

I see that you've shamelessly decided to hate-follow my account in the hopes of scoring a righteous pwn, so please reassess this top-tier projection.

Did you even read the post I was responding to? I find it hard to believe that a 3rd party could take issue with the unquestionably tame response I directed towards a blatantly passive-aggressive crypto-scolding. I would have thought that any slack-jawed, knuckle dragging, head injured, lobotomy recovering, inbred Limbaugh apologist could parse out the obvious hostility that was directed at me, but I suppose not.

Please keep it civil, folks. Remember that beyond the personality, we are all ultimately the same :)

This thread has run its course.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.