Cireeric

Distinction between conscius and unconsious thoughts

6 posts in this topic

I was contemplating about Thoughts. In meditation guides they often talk about that thoughts just appearing in consciousness, but you cant control them. But I think there are 2 types of thoughts.

1.) The thought just happens to you/appears in consciousness randomly.

2.) You are thinking with intention.

Could it be, that the first type of thought is coming from the ego/unconsciousness or unconscious patterns, and the second type of thoughts are coming from the Observer/Higher Self? Or is there no thought coming from the Higher Self and both coming from the ego mind, but one with intention and the other one just happens to you unconsciously? Im not sure about it. 

I'm not so sure about that distinction of intentional vs automatic thoughts, but I somewhat understand what you mean. 

There are often thoughts in my mind which happen but I don't fully acknowledge or realise they're there. It's like when you hear or read a fact or some new information, but you don't register it or take notice it. Its on the periphery of your awareness, and your mind skims over it or without processing the ramifications or realising it is there. 

Sometimes I forgot that everything in my mind is in my mind. 

So an example which clearly demonstrates what I mean by having thoughts you're unaware of. My mind often visits physical locations I know of in real life in my imagination. Whenever I talk to certain people or talk about certain topics, my mind enter that same location. E. G. Maybe the street just outside my childhood primary school, the house of this old couple who are like my grandparents etc 

I have one close friend, and whenever I talk to him my mind enters a few specific areas in a house I used to rent in. And my mind did this millions of times without my consciously registering it. On some level I knew I always did it, but my ego never said it out loud or I never fully made it conscious. It's very bizarre. Those thoughts were vivid and engulfed my imagination, and that paradoxically makes me less aware of the fact I was having them. 

And I think we all have things like that. Things our minds think, we're only semi aware of it though, but it is there. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

7 hours ago, lmfao said:

I'm not so sure about that distinction of intentional vs automatic thoughts, but I somewhat understand what you mean. 

There are often thoughts in my mind which happen but I don't fully acknowledge or realise they're there. It's like when you hear or read a fact or some new information, but you don't register it or take notice it. Its on the periphery of your awareness, and your mind skims over it or without processing the ramifications or realising it is there. 

Sometimes I forgot that everything in my mind is in my mind. 

So an example which clearly demonstrates what I mean by having thoughts you're unaware of. My mind often visits physical locations I know of in real life in my imagination. Whenever I talk to certain people or talk about certain topics, my mind enter that same location. E. G. Maybe the street just outside my childhood primary school, the house of this old couple who are like my grandparents etc 

I have one close friend, and whenever I talk to him my mind enters a few specific areas in a house I used to rent in. And my mind did this millions of times without my consciously registering it. On some level I knew I always did it, but my ego never said it out loud or I never fully made it conscious. It's very bizarre. Those thoughts were vivid and engulfed my imagination, and that paradoxically makes me less aware of the fact I was having them. 

And I think we all have things like that. Things our minds think, we're only semi aware of it though, but it is there. 

Yes, it is there you just skim trough it like something you don't want to see, like when you argue and know that you are wrong, but still continue to argue, or when something happens and you convince yourself that it is not what happened because you would never hold such beliefs, so you just turn blind eye to it, or you could just as well be so used to doing something that gets registered in subliminal level , so you kinda do and kinda don't notice it, because you have to be present to notice such changes, or else you will have to recall from memory, but how can you recall something like that from memory. 

K you are always present, more present then present.

Edited by PureRogueQ

@PureRogueQ That's precisely it. "Subliminal level" that's a good way of saying it. All this content is literally right in front of us but we skim through or deny its existence, and somehow it works 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Thats another interesting distiction you made, but I think thats another phenomena of thoughts than what I mean.

15 hours ago, Cireeric said:

Could it be, that the first type of thought is coming from the ego/unconsciousness or unconscious patterns, and the second type of thoughts are coming from the Observer/Higher Self? Or is there no thought coming from the Higher Self and both coming from the ego mind, but one with intention and the other one just happens to you unconsciously? Im not sure about it. 

When you look closely you'll see that thought comes out of nothingness and dissolves into nothingness. 

Thought only exists for the concious moment in which you experience it. Something can not happen to you unconsciously, because then it wouldn't happen. 

15 hours ago, Cireeric said:

2.) You are thinking with intention

What would the intention for a thought be but another thought? 

The intention of all thoughts is to experience thinking