lostmedstudent

Recurrent dream theme of being chased or running away.

14 posts in this topic

I keep a dream journal and for as long as i can remember, my dreams are almost always about running away for my life, people coming to get me, escaping, etc. 

It has been the case every single night last week (as far as i can recall). I never get into trouble or get killed. I somehow always imagine myself to get away in my dreams. either i gain super power or just before i get caught , the dream ends. 

I was wondering if anyone hear can give me any ideas as to how to analyze and learn from the recurrent dream theme ? i can give you more details about my personal life if needed. i have been reflecting on it, and i cant seem to find a reason IRL. I do  have the tendency to think of the worst case scenario in real life. I also have compulsive thoughts about people trying to get me; for example, if a car that i dont know pulls into my driveway, id automatically imagine it to be someone who is spying on me or trying to break in. even though i dont actually believe it. i know that its not the case, but thats the first thing i have tendency to think of...

thanks!

What is it in your life that reflects the emotions you feel in that dream? Is there something in your life that makes you feel like you're being chased or that you have to escape from it?

I used to have reoccurring dreams about angry bees being everywhere and then I would have to try and avoid them, but they would be everywhere that I would try to escape to. It made me feel very anxious and claustrophobic, perhaps reflective of my life situation at the time.

This video is pretty good: 

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Learn how to lucid dream via reality checks. Then, if you manage to become lucid during such a dream, turn around and talk to who is chasing you. They are a manifestation of some part of your mind. You can ask them questions and get to know that part of you a little better. Ask them things like: "What do you represent? What do you want/need? What do you want me to do? What do you want me to change about my life? What do you want me to learn/understand?" That way you might be able interpret the dream yourself.

Also give them a hug and don't harm them. They are a part of you and harming them means that you are suppressing that part of you. Embrace them and show them some love. Lucid dreams can even help with PTSD, so it might be worthwhile to try it out.

This lecture offers some helpful information on how to deal with fear in lucid dreams.

I think that your mind might be trying to confront you with something you're running away from. Dreams can be very metaphorical. Set and maintain an intention of facing that situation next time you dream about it. Try to manifest this kind of dream and see how facing it feelz to you.

beep boop

On 15/02/2021 at 4:23 PM, lostmedstudent said:

I do  have the tendency to think of the worst case scenario in real life. I also have compulsive thoughts about people trying to get me; for example, if a car that i dont know pulls into my driveway, id automatically imagine it to be someone who is spying on me or trying to break in. even though i dont actually believe it. i know that its not the case, but thats the first thing i have tendency to think of...

This sounds like classic maladaptive daydreaming. 

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

@lostmedstudent just in general you've got to keep expanding your mind... What is a dream (?), experiencing it in its depth, when you're traveling back in to the dream what movies play through your mind? Ask your mind to generate intuition for you in that moment, discover something that never existed before so you can make live a world that you otherwise could never previously conceive of making a reality. 

What do you run away from in life? Is there anyone in your life that associates the idea of "running away" with you?

Hypothesise, what are things I would run away from? I would start with the dream elements themselves. 

This is obviously linked to paranoia, but the question is, what is your paranoia linked to? A kind of trauma. Form a relationship with your paranoia, play with those projections, step into your subconscious mind through some breathing exercises and allow the canopy of infinite possibility to unfold in your conscious awareness where you begin to make subtle changes you could never conceive of doing abruptly. 

Many people are like, "I'm going to make a change today!", and we popularise change in this emphatic, abrupt, concrete manner without the subtler awareness of change itself that permeates enough to give rise to the awareness that contemplates the change. 

The latter is what I need you to step into, to step into the finer layers of consciousness where you're living adjacent to the parameters of your existence that give riser to even your ability to perceive anything.

This is right bang smack in the middle of the universe here, this is "god consciousness" if there ever were anything, the thing that exists just slightly before you're even aware that you're aware, in this case, the thing that exists just slightly before you're even aware that you're aware that your dreaming. 

I would work into lucid dreaming this as well, to unfold ideas in your dream landscape here and associated projections that create the paranoia to build greater insight for yourself on this.

Edited by Origins

I'm constantly get dreams where I'm running away from someone or something. Or that someone is chasing me, mostly an animal. 

No idea what this means. It has been constant since childhood 

When I told this to my psychologist a few days back, he told me it's a sign of PTSD, which indirectly indicates that I'm trying to escape trauma. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Remember that life itself is a dream and in every moment it is being created by you. If you have a dream which you don't enjoy whether in this dream or nighttime dreams, then you must have such thoughts going on in your mind. Take everything that you manifest as a value, since you're creating all of it. Take it all as indications of your mood, of your vibration. 

@lostmedstudent It may be related to the time that you were in your mother’s womb or your birth. Perhaps something happened to your mother during the pregnancy, like she was threatened. It was very insightful for me to talk with my mother about all the events surrounding my birth. 

@DefinitelyNotARobot thank you so much! i have been transiently lucid in my dreams but my instinct is always to try to wake up from it instead trying to navigate. how do i learn to start asking and lucid dream? thanks 

@Preety_India i dont recall any obvious trauma in my life until an accident 2 years ago, but the recurrent theme has been going on for longer. but definitely worse since that acident. thank you

I have a recurrent dream where I am escaping but I need to first gather my stuff, and I keep loosing the stuff that I gather. It's not pleasant.