meow_meow

Understanding mind chatter

4 posts in this topic

So, I've recently been trying to categorize and find explanation to why the voice inside my head behaves, talks the way it does, and I've found out a lot, but there are still things that I can't really find explanation to or understand on my own.

So, my mind chatter in a nutshell:

1. Imagining situations, playing out different scenarios, dialogues with other people, that have never happened.
2. Replaying experience from my past and imagining it in different ways (For example remembering a conversation with a friend and chaning the way it actually was)
3. Imagining how I'm explaining whatever I'm doing at the moment/will be doing to a friend (sort of normalizing my behavior trough imagination?)
3. Imagining how I'm telling a story to a friend about soemthing that has never happened or has happened.

The above 4 things usually happen in my imagination with only specific people - people who have humiliated me, talked behind my back, were toxic to me etc.
I rarely imagine the above 4 things with people I'm cool with.

So this is what my mind chatter is about, now there are some other things that I've managed to figure out on my own, for example the inner critic 'friend' as a voice etc. But these are the 4 things that I don't really know how to figure out. So my questions are:

Is this even considered normal? Do any of you folks get the same thoughts?
How can I figure out what is the root/why are they exactly this way? Is there any way to change it?

I get similar strands of thoughts, so it's normal at least for me. What I've been aware of is the more I just watch without getting caught up and getting attached to these type of thoughts, the less I get of them, it's like your brain recognises whats important by your reaction to whatever thought. The reason why it might be important to you can be delved into with therapy and really exploring why these thoughts have become habitual. Most likely it will be something from when you were a kid. 

There's not really a way to change this like that, it takes more and more awareness and detachment from these thoughts, so that they are just seen as important anymore 

1 hour ago, meow_meow said:

Is this even considered normal? Do any of you folks get the same thoughts?
How can I figure out what is the root/why are they exactly this way? Is there any way to change it?

The voice in my head tells me to tell you that it doesn't matter whether your relationship with the voice in your head is normal, that it doesn't have to be that way and that you can help the voice in your head to move on from this understandable but unhealthy obsession.

The opinion of the voice in my head is that that the voice in yours is simply trying to be useful and that you should be more understanding of how limited the voice in your head is. Did you ever sit down and tell your voice that it doesn't have to be useful to be loved or that play is not a waste of time for instance?

@meow_meow You're not alone. I do it too. Notice the change when you become aware when you think and imagine the stuff you're always unconscious about. If you were conscious that you are imagining the stuff that you are imagining in this case would you do it the next time? Having an image in your mind isn't the problem. In this case, it misrepresents what is actual. Next time when you start to think and imagine become aware of it. Or just let it go and see what happens. Or when you are doing it just don't respond and just observe it.

Edited by Understander