Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rilles

Questions For A Musician (Electronic) To Contemplate?

5 posts in this topic

What is music?

What is a sound metaphysically?

What is creativity?

What is art?

What is inspiration?

What is a song?

What is emotion?

What is rhythm?

What is a genre?

What more can I contemplate? Anyone?

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Questions I am contemplating

What is necessity?

What is aloneness?

What is cooperation?

What is doubt and resistance?

7 minutes ago, Rilles said:

What is a genre? (This one is huge for me)

@Rilles

Just trying to formulate my understanding with focus on the time-domain of the creative process.

Genre is the most common linguistic category and content of understanding to distinguish between musicians and their music.
Genre is a distinction mostly made out of the need for community/cooperation and marketing, to find ground in togetherness.
Genre is one of the most rigid limitation to put on a highly creative process.
Genre-thinking should be made after the current creative spectrum (requisite variety) is exhausted and the process or art is "finished".
A specific genre determination is the time to come into contact with other people playing together on the current state of art, developing further.

3 hours ago, juni said:

Questions I am contemplating

What is necessity?

What is aloneness?

What is cooperation?

What is doubt and resistance?

@Rilles

Just trying to formulate my understanding with focus on the time-domain of the creative process.

Genre is the most common linguistic category and content of understanding to distinguish between musicians and their music.
Genre is a distinction mostly made out of the need for community/cooperation and marketing, to find ground in togetherness.
Genre is one of the most rigid limitation to put on a highly creative process.
Genre-thinking should be made after the current creative spectrum (requisite variety) is exhausted and the process or art is "finished".
A specific genre determination is the time to come into contact with other people playing together on the current state of art, developing further.

This is great! I did some contemplating on genre distinctions and came up with a huge list... Wont explain it but if you think about it Im sure youll understand. Its definitely alot more than just music...

A genre is a distinction of...

Instruments

Use Of Instruments

Chords (or None) (Jazz chords vs power chords in rock)

Rhythms

Tempos

Energy

History and Off-Shoot

Attitude & Character (Rockstar vs composer)

Musical Structure (Classical or pop)

Proficiency Level (Jazz vs punk)

Feel (Innate understanding of the music)

Popularity (Pop vs lowercase)

Accessibility (Easy-listening vs death metal)

Visual

Fashion (Ripped jeans in punk or tuxedo in jazz)

Location (Detroit techno vs Argentinian Tango)

Demographics

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

I contemplated this a little bit too

My insights:

-Music is communication via vibrations, for humans obviously sound that humans can hear (emotional communication)

-The core of music is the intention behind the song which is enacted through rythm and other parts of music (like genre, instruments etc.) 

-rythm is the coherent sequence of impulses (sounds) and pauses, the more coherence the rythm has the higher quality it has (pauses are just as important as the impulses)

- intention > rythm > genre > instruments etc. (maybe genre doesnt fit into that order)

-music is made of a lot of components that form one whole (like one song), the components also have to work in a coherent way for the music to be of high quality, for example some intruments are in the background and some are in the front

-music is comparable to sex, for example sometimes you need a good foreplay for a good song

-music is comparable to emotions, the mecanics are comparable, for example emotions are always changing, so is music

I also thought that music can be compared to colors in the way that both are an expression of emotions: emotion > music=colors, even though I think music is a more effective way to communicate emotions for most people, but thats propably dependent on the person

There are 7 colors in a rainbow and 7 (idk the english word, but the main notes on a piano scale, in germany its C, D, E, F, G, A, H)

@Rilles

Edited by Florian
forgot to @

@Rilles

Every word is a lot more than it is being used in everyday life. Every word is a whole universe, a whole living itself.
It is necessary to broaden up the perspective of words. Great to see your connection to everything. Great exercise to see the possibilites of requisite variety.

"Genre" is a word of common use, where we can communicate and discuss about it.
Therefore it is great but it is also very stucked by its constant use.
In my opinion it is most valuable to contemplate about "genre" in the context of a smooth evolving into future.
What could methods be? These are fast-taken thoughts:

-connecting with people of different genres
-blend genres, and distill it to new elements of new musical means
-get in contact with the space and time incorporated in each individual being. everybody wears its own time- and spacesuit right now. rhythm springs out of this contact. rhythm is world

What is your opinion?