Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mada_

Question for entrepreneurs - noob to Marketing

4 posts in this topic

I am a complete beginner to studying Marketing. I have seen some courses from local universities which are 6 months - 1 year long, which introduce you to concepts such as:

• consumer insight and target audience profiling
  • media planning and buying
  • strategic marketing and research in business
  • digital media applications and software
  • social media marketing and advertising
  • creative and persuasive communications
  • website marketing and video production.

If I do not plan to create a career in Marketing specifically, would this be a wise time investment? Is a university a trustworthy source of information in regards to Marketing? Or would I be better off consuming videos, youtube videos, books, online courses etc.?

Thanks.

@Mada_ How can we know the quality of what your Uni teaches? It all depends on the quality of it.

From the course titles you gave, it sounds relatively decent.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, Mada_ said:

If I do not plan to create a career in Marketing specifically, would this be a wise time investment?

I'm probably gonna say "no". I studied marketing in Uni and actually graduated in it and yet I am as clueless about marketing as the next man. Creating a small business now I'm having to re-learn everything. The tips @herghly mentione can give you more insights than 5 years at business uni because so much of the stuff they teach is a useless nonsense, ideology, theories and outdated stuff. 

Now I don't know about your uni, could be that they are well caught up with the real world but when I studied (7 years ago) nothing we learned was practical in real world unless you want to do the typical shady marketing which is just selling more crap. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus