Someone here

What is beauty?

41 posts in this topic

Inspired by @The Lucid Dreamer. With the suggestion that Beauty is an absolute. And omnipresent quality inherent in existence itself. 

What makes something beautiful and something ugly? What makes something beautiful beautiful? What is beauty? Is it an objective universal value? How can it be objective when  people have really different orientations and tastes when it comes to beauty and art? Is the picture attached at the bottom equally beautiful as a pile of dog shit?  And who's to decide which is ugly and which is beautiful? 

What is beautiful about a beautiful face? Some argue that the more symmetrical your face is.. the more beautiful it is ..But why? Why is symmetry beautiful and asymmetrical faces ugly?  I guess I'm asking a question similar to why is sugar sweet or why sweet is sweet.?.. . At some point we just hit rock bottom and well.. It's just the way it is. 

A biological evolutionary explanation is that it's a survival mechanism. The brain colors your perception of the world and show you beautiful the stuff that is necessary for survival. You see a super model beautiful because that's helpful for urging you to mate with her and breed. Your dog doesn't find beautiful people to be beautiful because it's unnecessary for his survival. While he does see beauty In dogs more easily. and you don't. 

What this perceptive fails to explain is  art. What good is art to survival? Though there is no generally agreed definition of what constitutes art.. and ideas have changed over time.. general descriptions typically include an idea of imaginative or technical skill stemming from human agency.. and creation.

Share some ideas from outside the box about the nature of beauty and art. 

download (2).jpeg

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

Yoga Vasishta Contradictory Universes1.jpg

This is a short version translation of Yoga Vasishta. Although in its full version, at every turn whenever possible this scripture is full of artistic poetic explanations of nature and environment promoting full enjoyment of life, though with proper restrictions.

This particular passage seems to suggest that even beauty depends on the mind which is projecting(Universal) and observing(Individual within that universal) it. 

Edited by PopoyeSailor

In the above picture in the previous post. Within the second highlighted passage you can read:

"there are infinite minds with infinite worlds in them.. each of them having own continents, worlds and people who have their own mind and time-space scale  and life-span.. at the end their life-span, if they are not enlightened they continue to exist in infinite space , creating their own dream worlds, within them are other people, within whom are minds; within those minds are worlds in which there are more beings, ad infinitum."

In the first highlighted passage, it says"..in some universes good is destructive and evil constructive..." a scary thing to read.

May be this explains the beauty standard being accepted by large no of people, because of the mind that projecting the universe has a certain type of conditioning which in a way affects and projects it onto the individual minds which inhabit it.

P.S: Funny thing - The first passage also mentions that in some universes there are no women.

Somewhere else it also mentions that some doesn't have human beings, some solid rocks, some just full of water, some empty darkness, some just vegetation, some only animals, etc..

Edited by PopoyeSailor

Lest we forget.... :D

Edited by Megan Alecia
If y'all don't know what these are Leo posted them once in his blog.

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

400097000198_319325.jpg

@Someone here Contemplate this picture as an exercise. I know you love blondies lol.

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

5 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

400097000198_319325.jpg

@Someone here Contemplate this picture as an exercise. I know you love blondies lol.

Ahhhh just..... Have crush on blonde in the hood and this just isn't helpful at all. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

4 minutes ago, Shunyata said:

Us humans are so predictable. 

Me and blondes that's my story. So yes predictable, trust me always wondered. 

Recognition of your Self. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

25 minutes ago, Shunyata said:

@PopoyeSailor have you personally experienced these kinds of realities?

No.. I have never had an altered state yet.

Only once I experienced unconditional love with less intensity for two or three minutes, where any person I can think of(Whether Hitler or Bin Laden), Emotionally I only had love for them. But, Intellectual integrity did not change for me. From that state i can easily say that people can easily lose their intellectual integrity also and get emotionally compromised and do something which they may regret afterwards.

18 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

Recognition of your Self.

So what is ugliness?

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

2 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

So what is ugliness?

Not recognizing your Self. :) 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

4 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

Not recognizing your Self. :) 

And what is neutrality?

Just now, Gesundheit said:

And what is neutrality?

your Self

2 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

your Self

And what is indifference?

Just now, Gesundheit said:

And what is indifference?

I dunno. Are you indifferent to indifference?