JSALO10

Help with regards to life purpose and parents

7 posts in this topic

So I am at that stage of life where I am 18 years old and childhood is closing. for the last couple of years I have been fed the idea that the only way to succeed is university, I had even been able to trick myself into the idea that this was what I wanted. I have only just recently admitted to myself that studying engineering and university is not what I wont although the issue is I still really don't know what I want. I told my mum that I don't want to do engineering and she said ok that is fine and then hands me a book that the school has provided me with all the universities in my state with all the courses and said go find one. I tell her I don't want to go to university and go the self study route as mentioned by Leo which she and my dad don't understand and say that it isn't possible. They also said I need to find out what I want to do within the next month so I can apply for a course. I assure them again I don't want to go to university and want to learn on my own terms and also do the life purpose course. They then say that the life purpose course is a scam and learning online is a scam because all they want to do is take your money. I showed Leo's video on what the life purpose course is about but only after 5 minutes they said they don't want to watch it and proceed with their day. They also say that not going to university will waste all the money that they used on sending me to a prestigious school.  

My questions are how do I convince them that I don't want to go to university and that I want to work on finding my purpose in life instead of flicking through a book half assed and choosing a career that im expected to do the the rest of my life. Also how to show them the life purpose course isn't a waste of money.

@JSALO10

I started working full time when I was 13. No need to convince my parents of anything when they weren’t financially supporting anything. 

I noticed focusing on what I don’t want & what won’t work, creates more of the experience of what I don’t want & what won’t work. 

I wrote a list of jealousy...what I saw that other people had, did, or experienced, that I wanted. Then, realizing much of what I wanted, and focusing on it, felt great... and the insights and ideas naturally arose & filled in every blank. 

I also wrote a list of what I know I don’t want...an wrote the opposite list, of what I do want. 

I recommend a dreamboard to get this out of your head and in front of you. Less thinking / ruminating, more seeing what’s actually going on. 

Best of luck and Godspeed. 18-25 is rough af, it gets better. 

Also, I’d let go of any conditions on how you make $250, and take Leo’s LP course. Cut lawns, shovel snow. My 9 & 10 year olds do this, it works. Let those conditions go. Stop making what is effortless so complicated. ?. Let excuses to keep doing that, go. ?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Will finally get  moneyz (amount I actually want) Literally have to become God to get it. Bends my mind. 

At the end it's all about it if you take human nature into consideration and how people actually are. 

Parents.... haha I had best ones. ?

As man fight for any type of power and you will win "fight for love game". 

If you play game under human conditions you will never win. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

I don't know what to say because I have the same problem as you. @Leo Gura What do you think? Give us your opinion otherwise our life would be shattered.

Your parents want the best for you. They are just insecure and don't know what to do.

The best way to help them is to go your own way, be serious about it. And if you don't go to university pick up a job or so that you can become more independent.

Define for yourself what it means to "succeed" and explain it to your parents.

I can definitely relate to your situation. I am an 18 y/o senior in high school who was planning on going to pen state for engineering. After watching Leo and his course I am having second thoughts. When I tried to talk to my parents about it they had a similar reaction. Their main questions are "how are you going to make money" and "how do you know you aren't gonna end up at burger king if you don't get a degree". It's hard to explain to them because they are not familiar with the big picture. When it comes to convincing them I don't know what to say because I'm struggling with that myself. My main concern is how long will it be before I am able to support myself with life purpose and what are my chances of actually making a living.