Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim R

Evolution of Language

6 posts in this topic

Terence proposes some very, very interesting ideas. He basically says that with the evolution of language into a visually beheld realm of directly communicated intent, language and reality will merge into one. I think he's right. The evolution of media and language tend to become ever more visual and intent seeks to travel faster to the receiving end.

Your thoughts? Could we already be in a virtual reality that was originally designed to communicate linguistic intent, but got so evolved that we confuse it with our former reality? Sort of "Matrix" style (this xDisn't about whether reality is a simulation or not; it isn't).

What will come after VR? What role do you think will "Neuralink" play? We already merge with our technology. The line between "human" and "robot/machine" will blur. 

How will this affect our understanding of consciousness? Some Tier Two thinking exercises for you guys:)

Man we've got some seriously interesting times ahead...

I don't believe this. Social media at some point will become stagnant just like computers and email. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

I don't believe this. Social media at some point will become stagnant just like computers and email. 

Computers are currently probably the least stagnant thing in the world... They evolve faster than anything else we possess. 

@Tim R interesting take on things by Terence.

I think before the invention of writing, language always would have had a visual component. In face to face conversation it still does. So in one sense the invention of writing hugely narrowed down the bandwidth of communication. Indeed writing has to be taught explicitly, whereas speech and gesticulation is learned tacitly. And most likely, before writing, a good memory and recall was a must. Writing was a triple whammy of badness.

Writing is of course completely visual, but it is also highly abstract.

But the benefits of writing are obvious: it's semi-permanent and is able to be copied and shared to a larger number of people. This is what overcame it's bad points. For much of its early history, writing was done by and for the elites in society.

So all that is happening, is now that we have the technology to do so, the less abtract visual component of language is making its way back. Now we can capture visual language for mass distribution, the same way writing did when it was first invented. But even before TV there were plays: visual language for mass consumption. And there has probably always been some form of sign language. So the change is not one of ever increasing visuals, but just in ways of delivering it.

Language has always been more than just words.

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

1 minute ago, Tim R said:

Computers are currently probably the least stagnant thing in the world... They evolve faster than anything else we possess. 

I'm not talking about the evolution of computers but their usage. 

A lot of what was done on computers can now be done on the phone.. 

People carry tablets with them. That kind of stagnancy or redundancy is what I was referring to. 

Social media will become redundant too. It's only a matter of time.. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

17 hours ago, Preety_India said:

Social media will become redundant too. It's only a matter of time..

social media is a good tool in the case of a globalized world holding contact.
language is also tool which is used, because everybody uses it. it is common sense. we borrow words for their usage.

I guess body language shows reactive patterns more unveiled. it is a visual expression of the mind and therefore more directly. spoken language is the second layer more corrupted and fragmented.

in my sense the most effective use of language for conversation is through uncovering the spectrum of thoughts in the recent moment. the specific connection between the words of thoughts are carried as emotions by the body.

language is for describing itself, nothing more. language is a pointer for the diverse reality which it tries to describe. it should be neutral OR poetic.
in the case of functionality, a good slang/insider language works really well. jiddish is an example which is the slang language besides hebrew for the holy rituals. it contains a lot of irony. irony is the expression of conscious taken thought, thoughts reworked a second time - a good pointer. that are my very personal views and also dreams.hihi :x

19 hours ago, Tim R said:

What will come after VR? What role do you think will "Neuralink" play? We already merge with our technology. The line between "human" and "robot/machine" will blur. 

language is always evolving and gets more and more technological these days.

I guess Neuralink is just for the functionality of fulfilling consumption-thoughts right now? different impulses of the neurons are linked to an external offering of goods. It has potential for a more direct language in the case of instant gratification and fulfilling of needs, but it should be difficult to fulfill the playfulness of language, the psycho-social needs of human kind.

thoughts are dualistic and not controllable. I can't imagine that there will ever be a technology which knows to pick up the right black or white thought at the specific moment suitable to its host-person. it lacks the foundation of freedom?

nowadays the task of technology is to function in a human-thought like way.
but humans are more than just functional, more than thought. with AI and deep learning there is the possibility of an evolving technological function over time. the functionality gets more dynamic and highly sensitive-responsive.
but even this will not unlock new territories of the human psyche and reality, because AI and deeplearning are lacking of time through their processing quantities. they will limit the human potential.
also quantum computation will never solve this mystery puzzle of spontaneous and instant intuition and god-right action.
human is and will ever be just functional under the control of technology.
humanity gets more and more seperated from its true nature if this evolution of technology holds its dominant place.