Twega

Company Trying To Monopolize Psychedelics

13 posts in this topic

https://qz.com/1454785/a-millionaire-couple-is-threatening-to-create-a-magic-mushroom-monopoly/

"Compass Pathways are trying to build a psychedelic monopoly. They are leading the effort to turn magic mushrooms into a pharmaceutical product and we need to quash this attempt at all costs.

Prior to founding Compass, George Goldsmith and Ekaterina Malievskaia, a married couple, did not have experience in psilocybin research or working in the pharmaceutical industry. They’ve made headway thanks to tens of millions in dollars from investors including Silicon Valley libertarian Peter Thiel and former Wall Street-executive-turned-cryptocurrency-investor Mike Novogratz. They're not trying to gain PR and raise funds, they're trying to monopolise their interest.

They are in this purely for profit and if successful we will continue down the dystopia future of late stage capitalism and further suffering and turmoil in the name of profit.

We have a chance, as a society to turn a massive corner here and change our direction, I hope we can make the right decisions along the way.

Look into Compass, ALL of the psilocybin researchers that assisted them in the early days are now critics of their intent and professionalism.

These critics charge that Compass Pathways has relied on conventional pharmaceutical-industry tactics that could help them dominate the field, including blocking potential rivals’ ability to purchase drugs, filing an application for a manufacturing patent, and requiring contracts that give Compass power over academics’ research and are restrictive even by pharmaceutical-industry standards.

The corporadelic fuckers need to keep their noses out of it. It's not for them, it was never for them and they have NO PLACE in bringing psychedelics to the general public."

I think it's a bit more nuanced than this article portrays. I'm not entirely sure yet if I am for or against (or to what degree of either) how Compass Pathways is positioning themselves in this emerging market. I think the one thing that I've heard that I'm against is them passively trying to restrict other start ups from being able to get the licenses to use these substances for their own trials. There is some debate though over whether or not it's okay for them to require their researchers to not disclose information if they were hired to do work for them. This could be considered R&D.

Edited by Lyubov

Meh...

Devils will try but they won't succeed in the long term. People will grow their own mushrooms. All we need is to decriminalize them.

Nevada allows growing 2 weed plants for personal use. So you are never beholden to the greedy, over-priced weed companies (of which there are many).

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Do you find Acid or Shrooms better for consciousness work? Or is one better for realising god more than the other? Sorry if you have already answered this question. 

@Leo Gura  How many people do you know that grow weed? A minority I presume. It is the same with food. How many people actually grow their own food? A few dedicated people with knowledge and experience will grow but the majority of people will buy food from companies. The same might happen with psychedelics.

It is not all bad though. I suspect that some of these companies will produce psilocybin extracts that also include other phytochemicals like MAOI's from the mushroom and novel compounds from the mycelium of the mushrooms and create a blend that will produce a very desirable "high".

Similar to the "full-spectrum" cannabis products we see now.

At this moment I think they are more so doing clinical trials with substances that have been around for a long time. I'm actually interested in investing in these start ups since they are going to revolutionize mental health treatment and it is a sector I want to see grow. The thing is though that it's going to have to become a business and become normalized in our current institutions before it becomes widespread. The end goal are treatment centers that offer these treatments. 

@Twega No one has a patent on mushrooms.

You can buy weed from a dozen different sources or grow it yourself.

Mushrooms will be the same.

@Twega

Ironically, if they succeed in bring mushrooms to the general public at scale, we'll become so conscious that it'll destroy their business model xD.

Mushrooms only take 1-2 weeks to grow once you have grown your mycelium (takes 3-4 weeks, one-time thing) compared to 3-5 months for an indoor weed plant. You'll have a lifetime supply in 6 months.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

It is not just an issue of personal access. Many people are clueless about using psychedelics for personal development, so then it becomes very beneficial to have institutional providers of psychedelic therapy... it makes psychedelic healing possible and even more efficient for normies.

The problem here is that Compass Pathways are trying very much to kill healthy competition between these provider institutions, which will have overall negative impact on both access and efficiency. Some of those institutions were really the ones, who sparked the Psychedelic Renaissance, so it is pure devilry to steal the fruits they were growing for so long... there are many genuine stage green people within those institutions (like MAPS), who are getting fucked over by this devilry.

Yes, this is very much a short-term problem, but it will seriously impact today's generations.

Yes, decriminalization of personal growing and use is a great answer.

Edited by Dingo

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93wmxv/can-a-company-patent-the-basic-components-of-psychedelic-therapy

A better article on this topic. read the whole article. it goes into better detail on what's going on here. So basically they are filing broad patents (which is common when developing something new so when it is rejected you can focus more on what you've done that is original) on how to conduct psychedelic assisted therapy that are sort of a given to anyone familiar with doing psychedelics for personal growth. The concern is that people in the field think that the people granting patents may not be familiar with the process and grant a wider patent than is needed to Compass Pathways which could give them an unfair advantage. 

I need to patent sticking drugs up one's ass.

Ya'll owe me some royalties ;)

On 2/10/2021 at 9:33 AM, Leo Gura said:

On 2/10/2021 at 9:33 AM, Leo Gura said:

Meh...

Devils will try but they won't succeed in the long term. People will grow their own mushrooms. All we need is to decriminalize them.

Nevada allows growing 2 weed plants for personal use. So you are never beholden to the greedy, over-priced weed companies (of which there are many).

I know you are not much of a stock guy but have you looked into buying Psychedelic-Stocks like PSYK?