Carl-Richard

Scientific evidence for psychic powers

50 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

In which case, you should know better that there's no tangible scientific evidence for the paranormal up to this moment.

This isn't quite accurate. For example, Dean Radin has published work with intentionality. His paper with Arabidopsis used the scientific method (including double blind experiments), objective measures (such as root length and enzyme levels) and statistical analysis. More research would be needed to increase confidence, yet this type of publication in a peer-reviewed journal using established scientific protocols is "tangible scientific evidence". 

You are pointing more at a scientific consensus based on extensive scientific evidence. Yet that is a high bar and is very different than saying "there's no tangible scientific evidence".

Below is Radin's article. The data suggest a relationship between "intentionality" and plant growth (yet does not demonstrate). These experiments were inexpensive. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319400665_Effects_of_Intentionally_Treated_Water_on_Growth_of_Arabidopsis_thaliana_Seeds_With_Cryptochrome_Mutations

2 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

You want to expand research to invest more in the paranormal, which can be extremely inefficient financially-wise. It would require a lot of money and it might not yield anything of value. It might be just a waste of time in the current time. Instead, capitols invest in researches that have high chances of success and profit. Don't confuse the materialist paradigm with the lack of integrity/open-mindedness that you're projecting onto scientists. Scientists are open to tangible results, for example, they have confirmed that meditation has actual benefits, such as reducing anxiety and prolonging the attention span, etc... So, clearly they have nothing against spirituality or the paranormal like you're suggesting.

I think you make some good points about limited resources in conducting scientific research and where to invest those limited resources. Pursuing any idea, regardless of how reasonable, is inefficient. Why invest a billion dollars researching if a space kangaroo exists? Yet on the other hand, much of scientific progress involves breaking through whackiness. For example, 200 years ago the idea that invisible beings are all around us, can enter our body and make us sick was a whacky idea. It was paranormal at the time. Yet scientists later discovered microbes and it is now a normal part of our lives. The challenge is to identify the wacky ideas that have potential for discoveries. Pursuing too many wacky ideas slows progress, yet not pursuing enough wacky ideas also slows progress.

I would also add that there are additional forces influencing what get's research. Currently, utility and profit is driving a lot of scientific research. Research aint cheap an to get funded, one must apply to funding agencies / investors for money. Often, potential for utility and profit are major concerns. Funding agencies / investors want a "thing" produced. Such as a new technological gadget or a new drug. Doing things like scientific research on the neuroscience / physiology of yoga, meditation, breathwork etc. isn't always expensive - yet there is no useful gadget produced for profit. If we conduct scientific research to understand the neuroscience of meditation and new techniques to better utilize meditation for trauma healing - there is nothing to profit off of. Pharmaceutical companies would actually be losing money. 

Recently, scientific research into psychedelics is emerging. This creates an interesting Orange vs Green situation. Psychedelic therapy could create new jobs and help relieve trauma in individuals and societies. Yet who profits off of this research? We are starting to see the first signs of corporations entering and trying to get a slice of the pie. I wouldn't be surprised to see pharmaceutical invest in scientific research that designs new synthetic psychedelics that they can patent and profit off of. 

4 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

Scientists are open to tangible results, for example, they have confirmed that meditation has actual benefits, such as reducing anxiety and prolonging the attention span, etc... So, clearly they have nothing against spirituality or the paranormal like you're suggesting.

Notice how they're studying meditation within the framework of Western medicine: "reducing anxiety", "prolonging attention span". Those are Western concepts that are generally operationalized using materialist constructs (neural and physiological correlates etc.). They don't consider it alternative or paranormal for exactly that reason. "Paranormal" is most of the time just a euphemism for things that are considered a no-go zone for materialist science.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

8 hours ago, docs20 said:

I would like to know more about your experiences

Sure, do you have any specific questions?

i had a small glimpse of telepathy and cant wait whats next for me and for whole humanity  :)

Although I'm not sure whether its real or fake, But I think its interesting.

Around 4:45 she says she was able to see through a wall during her Kundalini Awakening.

In the book Autobiography of a yogi there is story of 'I think its the author himself' who was able to see 360 degrees simultaneously as well as a wide distance, when his Guru showed him the truth by touching on his heart or something. In that same experience he explains that he was able to see the whole universe as a city in a far away distance in the infinite consciousness.

@PopoyeSailor Spontaneous kundalini awakenings are so fascinating. The seeing through wall thing is yet another example of the conditional nature of these experiences.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, Leo Gura said:

No. People would simply never accept it so why bother trying to convince them?

If you showed people levitation, half of them would think you're a fraud/cult leader, half would think you're Satan and want to kill you, and half would start to worship you like blind monkeys.

I agree that most responses could be negative and alienating. 

I could have proven remote viewing (or seeing through two other sets of eyes) to a classroom and teacher. But I was afraid and couldn’t imagine a positive effect. 

Someone I know can see inside bodies and conduct comprehensive, detailed diagnoses using medical terminology. She can’t turn it off, doesn’t like having it, and lives in fear of society.

Is there any incentive and maybe legal protections for those who go public and prove their abilities?

Edited by artcastle

On 11/02/2021 at 10:59 PM, Forestluv said:

To look at an individual event, we use a chi square analysis. In our class, two individual groups (out of 8) had a significant value <0.05. To test ALL groups together as you suggest, we use Analysis of Variance (ANOVA). At the meta group level, only the two girls I mentioned above came out statistically significant. 

Okay well if it's only 8 groups I don't even feel like I need to take out my statistics manual haha, it's very very very unlikely that it happened by chance.

But I agree, that it might not be possible to control, or reproduced in a controlled environment, which wouldn't make it impossible during random moments. I guess that you are continuously doing research on psychic phenomena, unfortunately scientist often are excited to find something new, and a lot of fraudulent psychics, manipulate every possible controlled environment to manipulate the results. Listen to this ex spoon-bender explain all the shit he went through just to prove that he was the real-deal.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:08 PM, PopoyeSailor said:

Although I'm not sure whether its real or fake, But I think its interesting.

Around 4:45 she says she was able to see through a wall during her Kundalini Awakening.

@PopoyeSailor Thanks for sharing this. I didn't know about kundalini. Since she was sitting on her tailbone area when it happened, this possibly explains a few things for me. I had two injuries to my tailbone in middle & jr high school. Ever since, sometimes especially when I place most pressure on my tailbone, I've seen hands of cards from multiple people's eyes, had a kind of panic attack in class just before we were informed about the 9/11 attack, things like that. I don't remember any lights or swirling sensations, although there might have been when I fell onto my tailbone but I didn't notice (maybe from the squinting and crying). Always been a hardcore skeptic so each was a serious puzzle. So I believe Vanessa's story. I know someone who can see inside bodies. She obtained the ability spontaneously in her early 20s, which made her throw up constantly and not be able to leave her room or look at anyone for weeks. She's been stuck with it all her life. Another YouTuber advises against reacting with a strong resistance to these awakenings. I wonder whether people can get stuck with it for that reason.