Twega

Spiral Dynamics BOOK

29 posts in this topic

I have just begun reading the SD book (50 pages in) and honestly, I do not like it at all. I do not think it very well written. I find Ken Wilber who is infamous for his glib,  monotonous, and pompous writing style to be MUCH MUCH (10x) interesting and engaging than whoever wrote the SP book. It's full of analogies that seem unrelated or unnecessary to the topic. They gave an example of breast implants as being a stage orange phenomenon. I can see how that might be the case.. but also didn't Chinese women tie their female children's feet because small feet are sexually attractive in that culture? They've been doing that for ages and I think the health outcomes are worse than silicon injections.. The only reason is that the technology came from stage orange scientific materialism cultures. If that technology had existed before, it would be done at stage blue also. The book is full of such examples that I find hard to accept.. so for those who read the book, is it worth continuing? I found Leo's videos to be MUCH more engaging and interesting. I'm aware the videos are only like an SD101 intro. Which is why I bought the book so I can dig deeper. But is the book worth it? Have you learned more from it than just reading up SP online or from Ken Wilber work (which I am already familiar with)

TLDR: Spiral Dynamics Book boring the fuck out of me (because of writing style). Is it worth continuing? 

lol, thank you, you just made my day, i was projecting a lot in the past 30min.....

@Twega You are like a baby bird complaining that chewing food is hard because you're used to Mama bird chewing it for you.

Yes, the book is badly written. Boo-hoo.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

@Twega You are like a baby bird complaining that chewing food is hard because you're used to Mama bird chewing it for you.

What's the purpose of responding that way? Why is this mature and does this really come from a place of love or humility? It's strange how you treat the audience which helps you make a living. In addition, you want the forum to be more qualitative, but others have to pay the price for it. Like we are your employees.

You can derive it from simple logic

Left means not right

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

xDxDxD

p.s NEVER mess with mama bird

15 minutes ago, IAmReallyImportant said:

What's the purpose of responding that way?

The purpose is to underscore the entitlement and wrong expectation of life to be easy and served up to you on silver platter.

Nothing personal. But you guys gotta toughen up.

Your grandparents where shot at in WWII, and you are complaining about how boring a book is. And you expect me to coddle you on this? Embrace the challenges of self-development.

Kids these days expect everything to be easy.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I can probably skip the book based on this review. 

Time to save my time. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I started to read a really tough book on Epistemology recently. Such a poor writing as well, relative to the ease of grasping the material. When you read it you feel like you get circle-fucked by philosophers of the past by the endless references. New chapter = New round with new guys coming and go, this is what I felt like reading it. The book still has a lot of useful nuggets in it, though, making it all worthwhile

Edited by Hello from Russia

@IAmReallyImportant Don't take @Leo Gura words personally LOL. Honestly, I've responded in almost exactly the same way when a couple of my friends complained about finding certain books boring or the narrators (audiobook) isn't good. I was like: "ABSORB THE KNOWLEDGE WHO GIVES A SHIT YOU BITCHES" In this case, I seem to be the one bitching, lol. & That is that.

I will continue to read the book, thanks Mama Leo xD

9 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

I can probably skip the book based on this review. 

Time to save my time. 

No, don't let my review turn you off. I'm not even halfway through. I just read a couple of pages and it does get better. Skip the intro if you are already familiar with SD because that seems to be the most boring part, and also skip the analogies. I'll continue to read it and give a full review later.

@Hello from Russia Yeah I get you. Most book information-dense books are so badly written that I can really see how future authors who combine style and prowess will really be able to shine. Ken Wilber is such an example IMO, and even Leo. I find his talking style to be very engaging, even when speaking on dense topics.

To be honest I found Don Beck's books to be fairly unpleasant to read as well. Yet still found them very useful nontheless. Ken Wilber is definitely an amazing guy in that sense - amazing material and pleasant writing style, so good.

Edited by Hello from Russia

38 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The purpose is to underscore the entitlement and wrong expectation of life to be easy and served up to you on silver platter.

Nothing personal. But you guys gotta toughen up.

Your grandparents where shot at in WWII, and you are complaining about how boring a book is. And you expect me to coddle you on this? Embrace the challenges of self-development.

Kids these days expect everything to be easy.

Couldn't agree more. 

People want the results without putting in the work, but don't realize the work & journey are where the real results are found. 

How do you think we can change this for future generations? 

Looking at the generation below me it seems to only be getting worse with the abuse of Instant Gratification only getting stronger, surely we have to reach a tipping point soon? 

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@LfcCharlie4 I think you guys are taking this way too seriously. I've read 15 books in the last 3 months (As someone with ADHD you cannot believe how much mental grit this requires of me), finished LPC, working on projects, etc. I only asked if the book was worth reading because I actually want TO READ MORE, and not get stuck reading one boring book that I am already familiar with the concepts in it. Not because I'm complaining about reading in general and only want easy books. I finished all Ken Wilbers books and they are more dense and difficult than Spiral Dynamics. I also read maybe 30% of the books in Leo's Book List.

8 minutes ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

How do you think we can change this for future generations? 

Looking at the generation below me it seems to only be getting worse with the abuse of Instan

I get where you are coming from. & I totally agree that this generation is facing serious issues thanks to the advent of social media and THE POISONOUS DIET and nutritionally deficient most people are eating. However, I think your concern would be better directed elsewhere because this isn't where it is needed. I certainly wouldn't fall under the category of looking for "Instant Gratification". I appreciate your comments regardless, and certainly, there is always room to improve.

Leo Sprial dynamics series videos are great introduction to unknown area of knowledge. I think the videos are very enough to get knowledge. I don't think you need to read the book. he present it greatly. don't make Sprial dynamics your new religion. I suggest if he brings up new models and ideas from different fields. 

I read the spiral dynamics book but I had to jump huge sections. It is just useless bullshit. Even if I read it I wouldn't remember it. Why wasting time and why read just to read. I'm reading it to learn something and don't tolerate gibberish. Recently read Wilber. It is night and day. A lot of things became clear to me.

Edited by StarStruck

In Tate we trust