Someone here

What do you think of hedonism?

62 posts in this topic

A few things to consider:

1- Pleasure and Suffering are defined relative to each other. What is 'pleasurable'? It's that which is not 'suffering'. What is 'suffering'? It's that which is not pleasurable.  We are really talking about the same thing.  (Is 'up' anything other than 'the opposite of down'?)

2- Desiring Pleasure and Avoiding Suffering are also the same thing. 

3- You always do exactly what you desire to do. (you desire that which you desire to desire, and avoid that which you desire to avoid.. both are 'what you desire to do')  Consider the idea that you wouldn't even want to be happy, if 'being happy' wasn't already what you desired.  If you desire to 'help others to suffer less', that is still selfish, because that is what YOU desired to do.

4- You are something that is happening, like a lightning bolt following the path of least resistance.  Does the lightning take the 'easiest' path, or the 'least hard' path? Same thing. You always follow the path of your greatest desire, and not the path of 'that which you don't desire, or desire less'.  Even if you do something you think you don't want to do (I don't want to go to work), recognize that you couldn't 'do what you think you don't want to do' unless you wanted to do that (I desire financial stability more than I don't want to go to work). 

It's hedonism all the way down. 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

6 hours ago, Someone here said:

@Zigzag Idiot what are you talking about? 

Straying from topic more or less.
Going off on a tangent concerning semantics.

That is, besides one tongue in cheek comment regarding pleasure. ?

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn