mmKay

Your thoughts on basic personal defense?

28 posts in this topic

As title says, what would you recommend?  Are pepper sprays effective for minimal personal defense? I'm talking scenarios where some weirdo or crazy guy decides to get physical with you, or you are about to get robbed. etc.

I'm not paranoid, take all my shit and leave me sockless but it's cool to be minimally prepared for such scenario.

I've had two stupid dudes once slap me in the face at a club for no reason at all other than having fun, talking to girls and being sociable. And some other group of bad dudes group up on me looking for a fight,  till I had to physically leave. It's an annoying experience tbh.

At least I don't live in America where every second psycho has a Glock lmao

Edited by mmKay

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

2 hours ago, mmKay said:

Are pepper sprays effective for minimal personal defense?

I got sprayed once with pepper spray, the one that sprays liquid in a straight line. maaaaaan I never ever going to try that again. Yes, it's very effective if you get the right one and use it properly, the downside of course is that you will get some of it yourself, especially if it's windy.

Also tazers are effective if it's summertime, because they are ineffective when you have a winter jacket on, also the downside is that you can't maintain distance between yourself and the attacker.

EDIT: Even tho a a dude who I use to be friends with, a cop, told me that they once had a dude that was so fucked up (on drugs, stimulants) that they couldn't even take him down by firing shots at his legs, a walking zombie basically.

Edited by meow_meow

@mmKay Hire a self defence martial artist to do one on one / and or group sessions with you.

Just sign up to self - defence specific classes. Krav Maga is probably decent (never done it), Jiu - Jitsu can teach you how to disarm knives & guns at close range 

Jiu - Jitsu is also good for self defence & also Mai tai boxing or MMA , although ofc they're not great against a gun. 

But for fist fight defence these will work. 

Loool, being pepper sprayed fucking hurts ! My god 

Edited by Striving for more

@EnlightenmentBlog That's not true at all. Bad advice. 

You can't 100% guarantee protection in every situation but you can severely enhance your survival chances through training. 

Most people aren't too good at running either.

It's different when we're talking about guns but besides guns if you're a trained martial artist you can handle most situations. Even with guns you have better ods if you're trained, especially if they're close up a Jiu jitsu /krav maga guy will spin that gun out your hand before u even notice. 

However, having sprinting ability & high intensity endurance never hurts. Learning free running is pretty good too. If you combine all that with martial arts abilities you'd be a solid ninja. 

Edited by Striving for more

What I'm thinking for now is 20€ pepper spray in back pocket when going out at night in case some chimp lashes out at me and having a golf club in my van in case someone tries to break in while I'm sleeping in my van. A golf club has a sturdy material, it's intimidating and has a good range. I don't think in getting close to anyone so investing in martial arts won't happen for now, although It does have a lot of value for sure.

And if they have a gun np, wish me luck in my next life lmao

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

1 hour ago, Striving for more said:

It's different when we're talking about guns but besides guns if you're a trained martial artist you can handle most situations. Even with guns you have better ods if you're trained, especially if they're close up a Jiu jitsu /krav maga guy will spin that gun out your hand before u even notice. 

I've dabbled in krav maga and could tell you there 95% chance that I won't work in a real-life situation, and BJJ won't help at all against a gun or a knife. You'd have to be special forces trained first of all to handle the pressure of the situation. Most krav maga students haven't faced a serious threat and when a life and death situation arises, they tense up and forget their training. Even a navy seal or the British SAS would have a hard time dismantling a knife attacker and certainly a gun attack. Most of them advise to let the robber get what he asks for, it's not worth the risk to fight back. 

49 minutes ago, mmKay said:

having a golf club in my van in case someone tries to break in while I'm sleeping in my van.

I'd rather opt for a large hunting knife. They're smaller and way scarier. I believe I could defend myself against a bat or a golf club by getting close after the first swing. With a large scary knife, nobody is coming near you. The idea of getting stabbed is way scarier than a bruise from a bat or a golf club. 

Peacefulness is the best defense. I've found people who act violently are wanting a reaction to justify their response. If met with no resistance, peacefulness, it usually defuses the situation. I've tested this many times, and it works. Had a crazed crackhead come at me, and I defused the situation by talking him down, and standing strong and showing no fear. Of course this wouldn't always work, as some people are sadistic and enjoy hurting others, so peacefulness would only make hurting you easier for them. But, I find with most cases, bruised Egos, peacefulness will most always defuse any situation. With nothing to push against, the other side deflates. 

6 hours ago, fridjonk said:

I'd rather opt for a large hunting knife. They're smaller and way scarier. I believe I could defend myself against a bat or a golf club by getting close after the first swing. With a large scary knife, nobody is coming near you. The idea of getting stabbed is way scarier than a bruise from a bat or a golf club. 

I couldn't agree more.

I rather getting into a fight against a baseball bat than getting into a fight against the smallest knife in the world.

1 hour ago, Sempiternity said:

Peacefulness is the best defense. I've found people who act violently are wanting a reaction to justify their response. If met with no resistance, peacefulness, it usually defuses the situation.

Hehe. This is an example of unhealthy green.

1 hour ago, Arcangelo said:

This is an example of unhealthy green.

How is peacefulness unhealthy stage Green? 

@Sempiternity Of course the best way would be to try and talk them out of it. But as you said it won't always work. 

7 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

This is an example of unhealthy green.

I wouldn't really call it unhealthy green, rather unrealistic expectations. 

I see the SD Model have gone right over just another sets of heads.

A scenario in which one stands disaffected being assaulted by some thugs after a failed persuasion to peace would indeed be an unhealthy one at that, and likely more often represented in Green then in other stages.

Its a shame you can not fit the pieces such to see nothing in that negates @Sempiternitys proposition.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

I usually get sexually harassed a lot on the bus. 

So I use my elbow. 

I have a pepper spray in my purse but I'm scared of using that because I think what if they get more aggressive and start following me home. 

I try to not escalate the situation. 

Once a guy tried to dry hump me from the back while I was trying to board a bus and I was wearing jeans and t shirt, I pushed him back with my elbow. And I hopped onto the bus to escape him. 

Later I got down from the bus. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Having a weapon is one thing, but having the balls to use it is a whole nother thing btw. Most people just freeze our of fear when they get mugged.

I've been mugged 3 times. I was born in a lower middle class family, not in the best country & neighbourhood, so I know all about this shit.

Edited by meow_meow

@mmKay BJJ can help you learn to self-reflect and contemplate. Also, it feels good to be able to handle dangerous people should they confront you.

If you can avoid a dangerous encounter, then do so. Confrontation should be your last resort. You never know what the person has as far as diseases, weapons, training, drugs, etc. Plus all the legal ramifications.

If you plan to arm yourself with any kind of self defense tool or practice, you would be wise to seek out training from experts. Also, research laws in your region to understand laws and punishments should you have to use force.

I used to think about this constantly. I was fearful of people and the world because I was picked on in school. Nothing too brutal, but it made me wary of people and started to see everyone as potential threats. It was very unhealthy and neurotic.

I don't know why you are asking about this topic and I don't want to project my situation onto yours, but I would ask myself this question: "Is my motivation coming from a place of fear, or is it from my values, principles, and desire to grow?"

Hope this helps.

I’ve observed a specific state of consciousness in a few different people on occasions, 

They had nothing about them that triggered other people. It looks like innocence + no mind+ neutrality +presence+ trust. Maybe it could be called simple Love. 
On one occasion an aggressive pit bull suddenly “lost steam” when approaching one person who was in this state. It has the same effect on aggressive, mouthy people, as well. They just become dumbstruck. In a sense.

I feel like I’ve experienced this state a few times but unfortunately It’s not spontaneously available to me.

I also feel that in times past my state of consciousness on a few few occasions was very triggering to others.

Has anyone else experienced this subtle but very definite condition or state of consciousness that seems to neutralize aggressive people? 

I’m posting this because it would be a hypothetical form of self defense, that is, if someone were capable of spontaneously producing this state.

This reminds me very much also of a vivid dream Maurice Nicoll had which he described. To summarize. In his dream he witnessed a man who was in charge of some recruits and they were all being rude and nasty towards him but he seemed impervious. He said the man in his dream had a curious power about him. He then realized what it was. He said that he saw that this was a man incapable of violence. This was what produced this curious power that he had about him.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Sempiternity Just now read your post. Very similar,,,,

i trust people 100% so what will be will be.

big disclaimer: im afraid of pain and death ofcourse.

Rules? In a knife fight?,,,,

Do a martial art like aikido, It will help you ground yourself in your body, and teach you how to use your body in more than just combat. Nobody will fuck with you when you are grounded and ready for anything.