Kamran

Struggling to find healthy sustainable recipes/foods.

12 posts in this topic

So, I'd moved out like 3 months ago, and started living here in a different city close to my Uni. I still don't earn anything and I kinda have this weird hesitation when it comes to asking for money from my parents so I try not to spend too much.

Anyway, I've been struggling to find a couple of healthy, easy to make and quick to make dishes (that require no oven or microwave) that I can cook and eat on a daily basis and get all the essential nutrients, without spending 2 hours in preparation or spending a shit ton of money buying all the expensive ingredients.

I can't cook chicken everyday because it takes some time to clean it all up and cook and it also gets kinda expensive in the long run... Also where I live, idk where to buy fish. So I don't know where I'm gonna get my protein from (probably eggs and milk?)

I can't think of anything that isn't dominated by carbs.

Any suggestions?

DO you have a large pot and a place to refrigerate your food? What sort of facilities do you have available? What's your weekly food budget? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Kamran said:

probably eggs and milk?

Diary isn't the best protein source. 

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

DO you have a large pot and a place to refrigerate your food? What sort of facilities do you have available? What's your weekly food budget? 

That.

And also chicken breast or thighs might be your best cheap proteins options. I eat around 400g of meat per day (3x 130g) and lean beef together with chicken breasts are my staples if I don't feel like cooking too much; and it's like 2,5 quid a day. I'm also on a caloric deficit so I'm avoiding fatty meats for another 4 weeks :P

Peanut butter, different nuts, various seeds, oatmeal, eggs, beans, lentils are all good and affordable sources of proteins if you don't want to focus on meat or fish that much. I don't know where you live but you can probably find some protein rich lean white cheese as well.

Edited by JohnnyAb

2 hours ago, JohnnyAb said:

I eat around 400g of meat per day (

:o

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

43 minutes ago, modmyth said:

@Kamran  Do you have access to any appliances at all? (Also the question about the fridge)

61RyV6vCMTL.jpg

(Sorry. :P)

? Well it's not the best protein source, is it?

@Kamran Can you get canned foods? They aren't the best for you, but are good in a pinch. Canned sardines, canned wild caught salmon ( limit these, cause mercury), canned beans, canned lentils, canned soups, canned vegetables, etc. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Michael569  I have a pressure cooker(stove top), A slightly curved "skillet" (idk what I'd call it, it's an Indian thing - it's basically for making tortillas), a wok, two aluminum pots, and I have rice, lentils, veggies, spices, pasta seasoning, pasta, soya chunks... you get the idea
I don't have a fridge tho 

7 hours ago, mandyjw said:

@Kamran Can you get canned foods? They aren't the best for you, but are good in a pinch. Canned sardines, canned wild caught salmon ( limit these, cause mercury), canned beans, canned lentils, canned soups, canned vegetables, etc. 

I don't really trust the canned stuff, idk. Not in India at least. As for soup I don't really need the canned stuff, I can make it on my own.

As for vegetables and lentils, I can buy them from the market. dry beans and lentils and fresh vegetables.

Edited by Kamran

7 hours ago, JohnnyAb said:

? Well it's not the best protein source, is it?

I have access to fresh cow milk, idk if that changes anything...

4 hours ago, Kamran said:

I have a pressure cooker(stove top), A slightly curved "skillet" (idk what I'd call it, it's an Indian thing - it's basically for making tortillas), a wok, two aluminum pots, and I have rice, lentils, veggies, spices, pasta seasoning, pasta, soya chunks... you get the idea
I don't have a fridge tho 

Man this is perfect! All you need. 

The only additional investment that would REALLY be worth is a tiny portable fridge. Like one of those small cubes that are literally big for one pot. To store the meals from your pressure cooker. 

Seriously the pressure cooker is the only thing you need. And from the list of foods you mentioned, seems like you already have what it takes. You can create wonderful stews and soups in it. What I do is I cut 10 different vegetables, add 2 cups of lentils, 1 block of tofu and 6-8 different spices and then just cooked everything on high heat for 12 minutes. You get healthy, high protein, high fibre meals. Super cheap and one that will last you for up to 4 days. The only thing you may need is that fridge and maybe 1-2 large glass containers to store the food. 

But otherwise you got everything you need right there. You can also use the pot to make oatmeal for breakfast, to make great soups, to make meat, rice, quinoa bowl. I mean...there are no limits. 

If the fridge is not an option then make small amounts. Alternatively do you have a balcony as a form of storage? 

@Michael569  That's actually amazing, I never really thought about it that way. Thank you so much!!
I've also noticed that I'm getting better at just improvising and I feel like I should focus on learning more meta skills than specific recipes. 

I do have a top shelf and some space under the countertop for storage.

@Kamran great! There are lots of cookbooks for pressure cookers but generally they are easy to improvise with. Good luck