Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlyK

Negative effects of mindfullness

5 posts in this topic

Just read this article about the "negative effects" of mindfullness & meditation. I guess that these people have the basic physiological aim of just calming themselves down, and then freak out when they start to get the results that most folk on here would be actively seeking. Anyone here have similar problems?    

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210202-how-mindfulness-can-blunt-your-feelings-and-spike-anxiety

1 hour ago, AlyK said:

Just read this article about the "negative effects" of mindfullness & meditation. I guess that these people have the basic physiological aim of just calming themselves down, and then freak out when they start to get the results that most folk on here would be actively seeking. Anyone here have similar problems?    

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210202-how-mindfulness-can-blunt-your-feelings-and-spike-anxiety

The "problem" is that "meditation" in the West today is presented as some sort of wellness modality suited to all and for all kinds of purposes - but especially for calming an anxious nervous wreck that many of the people of today have become... And it could not be the right tool for all. 

Meditation was traditionally used by people that sought out the "dissociation" they write about in the article, the seekers who were prepared to go through ordeals to achieve greater clarity, a new way of being, etc. Also, the "dissociation" is just a stage, a new kind of Love and compassion can infest an open mind after the old "association" or shall we say - "attachment" falls away. People cling to the known, to needy desires, exploitative social interactions, co-dependence in which they (we) feel safe(r). And underestimate the power of meditation, breath work, etc. to shatter the constructs of the mind and with no road map to guide them, they could become anxious. 

So, if people do it unguided or with misguided expectations, it could be also "detrimental", at least to their expectations and clinging to the status quo of their perception, but most people give up practicing long before that. 

That is also why you don't go around pushing psychedelics on everyone, because not everyone needs, or is prepared for, such a life-shattering experience. And there are people with pre-existing conditions, mental issues, etc. 

Edited by Jodo

This is the equivalent of saying "I tried to go to the gym to get stronger and now I just feel weaker!" Like xD yes that's kinda the point; meditation is gonna bring up uncomfortable subconscious material just like with psychs.

We should really honour the diversity of contemplative practices that are available, because they all do different things, and people would have a much better chance of matching what they need, if they had a bigger buffet of choices.” Each person should choose the best technique – and the correct “dose” – for their particular situation, rather than doggedly pursuing a plan that is not working.

Found one resonating passage in that article. ?? 

Meditations

Someone should let them know about this...

The Emotional Scale.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE