HERO_

for those who're doing keto

13 posts in this topic

I want to stop eating carbs, but I'm concerned that It will decrease my performance in the gym and lose muscle .. at the same time I'm sick of consuming carbs I feel like shit I want to increase my focus and I want sustainable energy. I did research and most of them confirmed that without carbs you won't be able to maximize your performance and strength etc. I was very dependent on caffeine for training and I was afraid that without caffeine my workout won't be the same .. but after 1 year without caffeine I train very hard and I'm doing very well without caffeine and I feel better. I want to do the same with carbs but everybody around me demonizing keto for athletic performance 

My goal is to have sustainable energy, decrease my cravings and stay a long time full and eat 1 meal per day, I want to spend most of my time working on my life purpose and self-development work, etc . at the same time I want to improve my performance at the gym my goal is to increase my strength \build muscle 

if you're doing keto.. I want to know if this is true? will keto affect my performance? and if yes is it worth it? 

It should not matter as long as you eat enough calories for gaining weight.

1 meal per day is not healthy or reasonable.

You can also eat carbs which are not going to drain your energy, like veggies and fruits. What you want is to avoid heavy refined carbs.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@HERO_ What sort of carbs do you eat at the moment? What is your meal regularity Do you skip meals? Do you eat enough calories?

For an athletic individual and someone who uses a lot of brainpower if you deprive yourself of all carbs, you will probably struggle although many people have been able to make keto work for them. The danger of keto is that doing it wrong can have severe consequences of your long term health. 

Maybe the health geeks on the forum can help you if you share a bit more info. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 I only eat white rice, sweet potato, buckwheat, rice cakes, banana, berries I don't consume gluten at all 

I don't have a structure or meal timing I just eat when I'm hungry and I make sure I hit my caloric intake by the end of the day 

You won’t lose muscle unless you don’t eat enough protein or enough calories. At the end of the day, weight gain or loss comes down to calories. Just make sure you eat enough, which can be hard on keto. One of the reasons keto works for weight loss is it cuts out so many things you’re allowed to snack on.

42 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

1 meal per day is not healthy or reasonable.

When I was doing omad I felt the best I've ever felt. But it's not really sustainable in the long run, at least not for me. 

26 minutes ago, HERO_ said:

I only eat white rice, sweet potato, buckwheat, rice cakes, banana, berries I don't consume gluten at all 

I don't have a structure or meal timing I just eat when I'm hungry and I make sure I hit my caloric intake by the end of the day 

Try to research some of the sources of complex carbs and add those in. Things like white rice are not serving your energy levels. See if you can replace them with high-fibre alternatives such as different whole grains. Same for rice cakes, those are probably worst of the worst type of carbs because besides being high GL they are also ultra-processed. 

I wouldn't;t avoid carbs but make sure all those you eat have at least 10g of fibre per 100g of dry weight. This blunts your insulin and you have a slow and gentle glucose release that does not oversaturated your blood with too much sugar. Fruits and vegetables are all fine. Experiment also with adding more beans, lentils and chickpeas. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

40 minutes ago, fridjonk said:

When I was doing omad I felt the best I've ever felt. But it's not really sustainable in the long run, at least not for me. 

Yeah, but it's hard not to lose weight long term when eating so little. 

no keto

keto bad bad 

short term benefit long term ow ow 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

2 hours ago, Michal__ said:

Yeah, but it's hard not to lose weight long term when eating so little. 

I was actually "bulking" when I did it. You just take 1 hour to consume the 2500-3000 cal meal, it's not as hard as it sounds actually. But I can see it being difficult in the long run as you said.

Edited by fridjonk

@HERO_

You usually don't want to go keto long term. Try it for 1-3 months first and see how it works. Make sure to consume these 50g of C a day to keep your brain functions healthy.

6 hours ago, HERO_ said:

I want to stop eating carbs, but I'm concerned that It will decrease my performance in the gym and lose muscle ..

It's dependant on your caloric intake and the strength training itself. If you train, preferably with weights, and your muscles receive signal that they are still required, you usually won't loose them even on a slight deficit/maintenance.

I'm doing pure calisthenics/gymnastic rings training lately though and the results are outstanding.

6 hours ago, HERO_ said:

at the same time I'm sick of consuming carbs I feel like shit I want to increase my focus and I want sustainable energy

What sort of carbs are you consuming my man? ?

6 hours ago, HERO_ said:

I did research and most of them confirmed that without carbs you won't be able to maximize your performance and strength etc.

For the first 3-4-5 days, until your ketosis kicks in, you might feel fatigue, tiredness, small energy levels, and brain fog. That's what's often referred to as the 'keto flu'. 

After that you very often experience unusual energy levels and your brain works like never before. If you didn't have caffeine for a long time, I could compare it to the first espresso shot after a long abstinence, you can guess what I mean.

6 hours ago, HERO_ said:

My goal is to have sustainable energy, decrease my cravings and stay a long time full and eat 1 meal per day, I want to spend most of my time working on my life purpose and self-development work, etc . at the same time I want to improve my performance at the gym my goal is to increase my strength \build muscle

To be fair I wouldn't ditch carbs in a long run. If that's the time factor that matters I'd rather look into some bulk meal prep. 

You can easily prepare all of your next day's food 30 minutes before the bed.

You could probably get all your calories in one meal, but if you're trying to actually build strength and muscle it sounds more reasonable to provide your body with constant nutrients throughout the day instead of jamming it all at once.

Apart from all that - cooking and eating both are very enjoyable when done mindfully and even better when shared with others. I transitioned to 5 meals a day Mediterranean diet a long time ago and it's been like that ever since, and I've never felt better. It's getting better with each day and year too, hope there's no limit ?

6 hours ago, HERO_ said:

Edited by JohnnyAb

1 hour ago, fridjonk said:

I was actually "bulking" when I did it. You just take 1 hour to consume the 2500-3000 cal meal, it's not as hard as it sounds actually. But I can see it being difficult in the long run as you said.

5 hours ago, fridjonk said:

Phone bug

Lol, good job. That must've been annoying.

I had a dip in my performance for about two months after starting keto but after then I was alright. It takes a while to become fat adapted.

Edited by Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj

Hallå