Brandon Nankivell

Lotus position (Padmahansa) as an accelerant

10 posts in this topic

I haven't heard much speak on this by Leo or on the forum.

Thoughts on the usefulness of sitting in the lotus position, especially whilst doing SDS?

My understanding is that once you've mastered the lotus position, it offers 2 major benefits:

1. Less likelihood of distracting bodily sensations
  2. Something to do with the body having to do less work and blood flow

What happens with all this positions is that: the one who created them made it out of it's silence. You trying to make it or force just creates more noise. Do whatever position you enjoy and that makes silence of mind. You can meditate at any time everywhere, master the mind and then from that silence the best position for you will emerge naturally.

I don't think that's necessary. I mean, to master the full lotus position you'd have to stretch a lot and do other complementary asanas. It could take a while. On the other hand, a simple burmese position is much easier and provides sufficient stability.

52 minutes ago, The Buddha said:

What happens with all this positions is that: the one who created them made it out of it's silence. You trying to make it or force just creates more noise. Do whatever position you enjoy and that makes silence of mind. You can meditate at any time everywhere, master the mind and then from that silence the best position for you will emerge naturally.

In the short-term that makes sense. But if I practice for 3 months until I no longer feel stress or strain, then the pay-off may be worth it, assuming the aforementioned benefits, right?

Edited by Brandon Nankivell
spelling mistake

42 minutes ago, nistake said:

I don't think that's necessary. I mean, to master the full lotus position you'd have to stretch a lot and do other complementary asanas. It could take a while. On the other hand, a simple burmese position is much easier and provides sufficient stability.

Cheers - will look into this

If you want a catalyst take 5-MeO, not this cosplay.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

40 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

If you want a catalyst take 5-MeO, not this cosplay.

High on my list ?

5 hours ago, Brandon Nankivell said:

I haven't heard much speak on this by Leo or on the forum.

Thoughts on the usefulness of sitting in the lotus position, especially whilst doing SDS?

My understanding is that once you've mastered the lotus position, it offers 2 major benefits:

1. Less likelihood of distracting bodily sensations
  2. Something to do with the body having to do less work and blood flow

@Brandon Nankivell If you are still like a rock for a certain time (4 hours) it can improve the meditation performance exponentially. If you are doing it for less even then it provides significant advantages depending on the use case (not sure about SDS.)

Check out A Million Thoughts for more. 

https://www.amazon.com/Million-Thoughts-Meditation-Himalayan-Mystic-ebook/dp/B01N8WB35O

Edited by captainamerica

@Leo Gura  Body positions are more than cosplay.

But lotus wouldn't really be an accelerant, but a tool none the less to explore as you expand you body awareness mapping.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I think, the spine should be vertically straight during meditation. Because, any mystical experience or awakening is caused by the passing of atleast a streak of Awakened Kundalini through the central channel called sushumna upto to the top of the head called Brahma Randhra. I once read that there are more than 800,000 different yoga asanas that one can use for meditation. But, may be some of the poses are used for directing the kundalini into different parts of the body so that it can cleanse those parts through its flow.

The Lotus position may be the generic one which is suitable for many which is helpful in allowing the kundalini to pass through the central sushumna.