Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blackbeat

How to stop demonizing stress?

9 posts in this topic

Surrender to it. Relax. Take naps. Breathe deeper. Take long, slow walks.

Choose to do something you want to do so much that stress pales in comparison with how thrilled you are to be doing it. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

4 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

Choose to do something you want to do so much that stress pales in comparison with how thrilled you are to be doing it. 

Nothing comes to mind, besides drug abuse of course (since that would take care of the stress without effort). I knew I had a stress problem, but I'm guessing it might be worse than I thought.

@commie Stressing out about stress is stress. You can't war against war without starting a new war. You have to determine the opposite of what you don't want to feel, and focus on whatever makes you feel happy or at peace. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Good book is The Untethered Soul - Michael Singer

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

9 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

@commie Stressing out about stress is stress. You can't war against war without starting a new war. You have to determine the opposite of what you don't want to feel, and focus on whatever makes you feel happy or at peace. 

I can sort of do that, except that proper focus is perhaps what stress undermines most (and that I don't think about it in terms of "opposite").

But to have the stress pale in comparison with something I actually *want to do* would be a high bar indeed!

@commie You're right, stress is like having blinders on to all the opportunities around. You don't have to know what you want to do right now. Make the intention to find what you're really inspired about. Start to become very aware of things around you and see what you really gravitate towards. Often it starts out as something small. 

I don't think that would work for me. When I'm well enough, sure: I can enjoy the birds. But the last thing I want when I'm stressed out is to deal with things: either I'm reacting defensively to the things I perceive as the cause of the stress or it's no thing that I want to be aware of.

And since stress messes with my focus, the best way I know to short-circuit this madness short of self-harm is exhaustion (the cocktail pumped out when I'm out of breath is inferior to the good stuff but usually good enough). The main problem with that approach is that I'd need to be physically well enough in the first place.

Even when the stress has come down a bit, focusing on things that actually are inspiring seems way too hard. I'd rather distract my mind with stuff that requires less effort and involves little risk, such as this forum.