aklacor727

Habits - always a struggle!

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

So, one thing I've noticed about myself is I am not the greatest at sustaining new habits into my lifestyle. Some of the littler/easier things have stuck but there are a couple that require more self discipline that I really want to make work this time around and be a lifelong thing. 

Looking back I can see where I went wrong -- adding too many new aspects into my daily life too soon -- I was off work for months bc of the pandemic and I was really excited to have the time to work on my personal development and I think definitely got ahead of myself!

Another aspect that I feel brings about a little more of a challenge for me is my work schedule is very inconsistent; the habit has to be at different times each day based on when I am working. 

Regardless, here is my game plan for this time around:

1) only focus on ONE THING for a minimum of 3 months (maybe even 6 just to make sure) before adding anything else!

2) I will have a calendar set up on my wall next to my bed where I will track when I have completed the habit. I am going to use color coded stickers and utilize something that I have heard of called Elastic Habits -- the idea is that every day I need to do the habit, but there are 3 different levels of difficulty/time spent I can choose from based on how much energy and time I have that day. That way even if I just choose the easy category for that day, I still get the satisfaction of getting my sticker and the routine of starting up the activity still helps to molds my subconscious, helping the habit to eventually become effortless! But it is less overwhelming and requires far less self discipline not having to put so much time in every day, if I don't want to. 

3) Patience! 

This is about all the strategy I have going for me but if there are any other tips or suggestions you have for me, I would love it! Wish me luck!!!

On 2/1/2021 at 6:25 PM, aklacor727 said:

only focus on ONE THING

right

On 2/1/2021 at 6:25 PM, aklacor727 said:

Elastic Habits -- the idea is that every day I need to do the habit, but there are 3 different levels of difficulty/time spent I can choose from based on how much energy and time I have that day

interesting idea. 

could you share what habit you're trying to implement? and what would be those 3 different levels? 

one day this will all be memories

@kag101 didn't even see this until now!

For example with working out, that is the habit I am incorporating next.  Me personally yoga is what I enjoy most.  But depending how I feel that day I have options. 

Easy day: just stretching 

Moderate day: 20 minute yoga session

Advanced day: 20 minute yoga session PLUS say 20 minutes on the treadmill. 

Having the option to just stretch if I like takes away alot of the pressure! 

On 12/02/2021 at 0:59 AM, aklacor727 said:

Easy day: just stretching 

Moderate day: 20 minute yoga session

Advanced day: 20 minute yoga session PLUS say 20 minutes on the treadmill. 

interesting.

i hope this gives you good results :)

one day this will all be memories

Hey, 

I would recommend to download a habit tracker app and write in it every habit you wish to have. I have one and it helps at least by seeing all the things i should be doing. 

I kinda quited the idea of habits in the sense that i will push myself to do this everyday until it's automatic but if i lose one day or 2 i failed. Didn't work for me. It works only if the actions are aligned with a vision of what you want to create and you discover this intrinsic motivation by looking for it. If it always feels a struggle and like fighting something then it will not be sustainable. It took me a whole life to be able to appreciate this thing that i recently learned. I was also a fan of elastic habits btw. If you really take so much time to implement one habit while being elastic you will most probably succeed. Good luck! 

"1% improvements every 3 months."  

"Set the bar so low that you can make it on your worst days."

"If, rather, WHEN you have a shitty day, week, or month, it's ok since you're looking for that tiny improvement in the long-term AND you've set the bar so low that you can't fuck it up."

Even if it's a super easy thing to do, simply having that thing to check of a list helps psychologically.

"Oh, you're gunna sit on your ass all day eating junk food?  Ok, put it on the list, but make sure you do it."

Honestly, I've taken this advice and I feel it works well for me since, even just doing 5 minutes of meditation in the morning and 10 pushups in the day feels soo good, like an accomplishment.  It also adds up over the long-term.

"10 pushups everyday for a year is better/more than 100 pushups a day for a month."

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Lately, I have been struggling trying to quit an overeating addiction. The thing that I overlooked the most was having a vision and visualizing daily upon it.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Jon_Bundesen

There's LEVELS to this shit!!!