Yahya

Islam thread

44 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, trenton said:

Speaking of violence caused by religious bigotry, according to my art history class, there are Muslim terrorists destroying the art work of other cultures.  Their idea is that if they destroy a cultures history, they have no power and no force to unify their people.  It is pretty dark.  They don't speak English in the video.

The taliban said that they didn't do that for religious reasons.

On a psychological level arabs probably had a minority complex. Their neighbors the jews and christians had a powerful story and identity based on books and history. 

So it was time that the arabs did take care of this void. I guess the christian religion was not that interesting as it was vague and kind of weak basically a slave religion. The arabs on the other hand wanted to keep their slaves btw. that is why it is not forbidden in the kuran to have slaves.

So I guess Muhammed and the arabs did not just want to become jews as that would create lots of problems. So the easier way Muhammed might have thought is to create the second upgrade of the jewish religion after christianity.

Muhammed thought the jews will join the new movement but the jews were not interested. 

Islam is so powerful because it is an upgrade. It fixes the problems with the other religions. On the other hand it can not compete with science for obvious reasons.

@Raze thanks for telling me that.  There are many other art works destroyed by the Taliban.  maybe this was just to destroy other cultures rather than to promote Islam.

A good beginner work on Islam is The Life and Times of Muhammad Paperback by John Glubb. It's not a religious conversion and he tries to weave together a wide variety of sources with different levels of trustworthyness.

I've also heard good things about Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources by Martin Lings but I wonder if it's biased since the author converted to islam.

I wasn't a big fan of Leo's video, I overall agree with his points but I feel like he didn't research it that well. For example he brings up the 72 virgins thing, but from what I heard the source is extremely iffy and some claim it was a mistranslation of raisins, not virgins.

Edited by Raze

@Epikur How do you know that Muhammad expected the jews to join the movement? You are making false assumption right there. He was a stage turquoise person and I don't think that a stage turquoise develops an ideology. Why do you think it would be a problem for Muhammad and the arabs to become Jews?

@Raze Thank you for referring that work. I will read that piece of work.

@Arcangelo Why do you think Islam is one of the worst religions in the world. Whats your reason and justification?

@Osaid How to avoid the devilry of a teaching?

12 minutes ago, Yahya said:

Why do you think Islam is one of the worst religions in the world. Whats your reason and justification?

Thanks for asking.

Their holy man was a pedophile. IDGAF about historical context, rape is rape, please don't justify this pervert's pedophilia (it will make you look like a pedo yourself).

He raped a 9 year old, it says it in their holy book.

Also, their holy book promotes the beheading of non-believers like myself.

Worst religion ever IMO

Arc

What interests me is the origin of religion.  There are scholars who say that Muhammad never existed and that the texts of Islam where written only after the Arabs conquered and established an empire.  The religion gives the empire legitimacy.  The empire has the power to spread the ideology.   This is a familiar pattern of history.  Scholars also say that the Old Testament was written down around 600 BC to provide a vision for the people when the Hebrews were at the peak of their power.    Likewise, Buddhism was propagated by Asoka.   These texts are written by poets.  In the ancient world, poetry was considered  a valuable source of knowledge.  The ancient Greeks were heavily influenced by and directed their lives according to Homer.    

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122669909279629451

https://www.crisismagazine.com/2012/did-muhammad-exist

Edited by Jodistrict

Vincit omnia Veritas.

@Arcangelo Have you considered this as a possibility that what you have understood from the texts is not necessarily what the author meant to convey?

@Yahya

Every religion is an ideology. 

Islam is  quite a power conscious religion. A lot of killing is done in its name so it makes sense that Mohammed didn't want to be just another jew. He saw himself as the prophet so the jews had to follow him. Obviously the jews did't want that.

At the beginning the prophet ordered that the direction for the prayer should be Jerusalem. After the problems with the jews he changed direction to Mekka to show that the jewish tradition is not that important anymore.

After that he fought the jews and from that time there are no jews living in Saudi Arabia.

I respect it significantly because of its history of followers, the rich wisdom in the Quran, and their practices.

However, I am still learning about Islam, and I don't really have a strong conclusion about it.

There is a lot that concerns me such as Muhammad's choices, the wars, and intolerance. Pretty much all the stuff brought up by Sam Harris, which I haven't delved into deeply, so I don't want to judge it negatively without a wholesome understanding.

For now its a respectable religion in my eyes.

Edited by SgtPepper

@Arcangelo I don't know if you are just trying to be a troll (if so, what are you doing in this forum in the first place?) Also here are some violent movements that happened in the name of Christianity: KKK, Azov Battalion, the pograms carried out by the black hundreds in Russia, the Nazis (big part of their agenda was to promote the lutheran identity), every white supremacist/neo nazi group out there, shooting at abortion clinics, the idea of criminalizing abortion, do I really have to continue?

No I am not a troll. I am actually a troll identifier.

I stand by what I wrote:

Muhamad was a pedophile.

@Arcangelo       Have you considered my possibility? What you read is is necessarily what you understood or reality.

@Arcangelo did you study his biography by yourself or somebody told you that? 

This is really interesting video to watch about islam in the context of SD! In the video laying some of historical background of Islam too. 

Sahih Muslim Book 008, Number 3310:
'A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 64
Narrated 'Aisha:
that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 65
Narrated 'Aisha:
that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old. Hisham said: I have been informed that 'Aisha remained with the Prophet for nine years (i.e. till his death)." what you know of the Quran (by heart)'

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 62, Number 88
Narrated 'Ursa:
The Prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with 'Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).

Some Muslims claim that it was Abu Bakr who approached Muhammad asking him to marry his daughter. This is of course not true and here is the proof.

Sahih Bukhari 7.18
Narrated 'Ursa:
The Prophet asked Abu Bakr for 'Aisha's hand in marriage. Abu Bakr said "But I am your brother." The Prophet said, "You are my brother in Allah's religion and His Book, but she (Aisha) is lawful for me to marry."

I don't like it

Arc

Muhammad Married A Six Year Old Child

Aisha, daughter of Abu-Bakr was a beautiful little girl.  Muhammad married her when he was fifty three years old and she was only six years old.  He had intercourse with her when she was nine years old. (Wives of the Prophet, pages 57-61).

This is a gross case of child abuse by the prophet of Islam.

The historian al-Tabari also states that she was nine.

I find Islam in some ways to be disturbing yet from it sprang the Baha'i faith which I find appealing.