soos_mite_ah

Life Purpose Through the Spiral

13 posts in this topic

I have taken the life purpose course twice now and I noticed that I came up with different careers depending on where I was at in the spiral. My core values and the such has stayed the same but the medium and the way I want to manifest those values and ideals have changed. For example, when I was more so in stage green, I wanted to manifest my life purpose through writing and travelling while now as I move towards yellow, I find myself wanting to manifest my purpose through researching the social sciences. 

I can see how life purpose can change as we develop as a person which is why it's important to stay flexible. What I'm trying to get at is, how do I ensure that my life purpose is solid enough to where it can withstand how I grow, change, and develop as a person so I won't have to have an existential crisis and fully revaluate my career path every two years or so? Is the reason why my life purpose "changed" is because I haven't actually found it yet? 

Edited by soos_mite_ah

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

Would you say writing and traveling is worse or less developed than researching social sciences? 

You know what I mean? 

There is development everywhere, both at lower and higher stages of the Spiral, it's literally across the board. 

So I don't see any LP as higher or lower.. 

Of course the payoff can be different with different LP 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India writing and traveling not higher or lower by any means. It's just that I was more attracted to manifesting my life purpose in that way when I was at a certain point in my life and then I became attracted to a different thing when I moved into a different point in my life. 

On 1/28/2021 at 5:27 AM, soos_mite_ah said:

Is the reason why my life purpose "changed" is because I haven't actually found it yet? 

Think that's only something you can answer.

I remember David Deida talking about life purpose like an onion, there's deeper layers, and you'll peel them off by living the "outer" purposes and growing.

So in case "changing career path every two years" happens, imo, it can either mean dabbling (and not going much deeper) or going deeper. Or in between the two.

What's your time horizon for finding such a "solid" purpose?

Also some advice Leo gave, if I recall correctly, is that many youngsters like you and me, didn't yet have enough life exp to have the clarity to know what we want. Yet some do know.

So what I decided for me would be this: Take action on my LP, grow, live and get experience, and refine it. (So kinda while I have a purpose, one of it's jobs is to get me to take action, live life on m edge, get more experiences, out of my comfort zone, and bring clarity to deeper layers of purpose. Enjoying the purpose now, until it runs the course and reveals a deeper layer.)

Btw. how long did it take you to go through the LPC? I did it once completely and that over the course of a year, had to assimilate all that material, read books and open myself up.

Miracle:    Impossible from an old understanding of reality, but possible from a new one.

3 hours ago, peqkno said:

What's your time horizon for finding such a "solid" purpose?

I want to figure out some type of trajectory in the next year or so because I'm going to be graduating college and I need to know my next steps. 

3 hours ago, peqkno said:

Btw. how long did it take you to go through the LPC? I did it once completely and that over the course of a year, had to assimilate all that material, read books and open myself up.

In both times, it took me a month and a half. I was doing about 2-3 videos a day and a book per week. I did a lot of life purpose related work prior to finding this course such as evaluating my values, figuring out my interests, finding my strengths etc. on my own as I was having a regular existential crisis therefore contemplating regularly about what I wanted to do with my life all throughout high school. There were some flaws with the way I was looking at the situation and I did have some limiting beliefs but the life purpose course sorted a lot of that out the first time around. 

I am on my third go for the life purpose course. Previously I got to about the 70th video both times and quit. I am fully committed this time to finishing the course and acting on my purpose.

I notice that this time my values are just so much more solid. I've done a lot more travelling, reading books off Leo's book list and others in general, psychedelics, meditation, therapy since my last time doing the course. Everything seems to be clicking much more easily and quickly. One thing that is helping me is not being a perfectionist about it.

As for your question, I think it is that you and I are just too young and inexperienced to really know our life purpose on a concrete level. It will refine and change until we hit the nail on the head. I am just 24 and you must be about the same since you will be graduating college soon. Get comfortable being unsure about this and let it take its time.

What is your plan from here?

"Yes is the answer... And you know that! Fasho!

Yes is surrender! You gotta let it... you gotta let it GO!" - John Lennon, Mind Games

Forgot to hit "notify me of replies" haha

Yes is surrender! You gotta let it... you gotta let it GO!" - John Lennon, Mind Games

1 hour ago, NatureB said:

As for your question, I think it is that you and I are just too young and inexperienced to really know our life purpose on a concrete level. It will refine and change until we hit the nail on the head. I am just 24 and you must be about the same since you will be graduating college soon. Get comfortable being unsure about this and let it take its time.

What is your plan from here?

I'm currently 21 and my plan is to get an internship to build up some work experience and then apply for jobs hoping to god that I don't hate it and that it can pay the bills so that I won't have to ever live with my parents. 

I know I probably need some more life experience before finding my calling. IDK I guess I'm impatient. I really want to find that purpose and go full force with it. I want more of a sense of meaning in my life. I want to love what I do. I want to get good at what I do. I want to embody my values more. I want to be financially independent. I know from experience that doing something I genuinely like vs making myself do something out of extrinsic motivation that I have to do something that I like or that I will sink like the Titanic. 

1 hour ago, soos_mite_ah said:

I'm currently 21 and my plan is to get an internship to build up some work experience and then apply for jobs hoping to god that I don't hate it and that it can pay the bills so that I won't have to ever live with my parents. 

I know I probably need some more life experience before finding my calling. IDK I guess I'm impatient. I really want to find that purpose and go full force with it. I want more of a sense of meaning in my life. I want to love what I do. I want to get good at what I do. I want to embody my values more. I want to be financially independent. I know from experience that doing something I genuinely like vs making myself do something out of extrinsic motivation that I have to do something that I like or that I will sink like the Titanic. 

Interesting. One of my friends was guiding myself and others through a yoga program one day and she saw that I was trying really hard to stretch as far as possible. She said to the group "notice if you are trying to stretch too far too fast, and ask why? What's the rush?"

What is driving the impatience? Figuring that out might clear away some of the clouds and let your purpose shine through more easily.

10 hours ago, NatureB said:

What is driving the impatience? Figuring that out might clear away some of the clouds and let your purpose shine through more easily.

I think I really need something to ground me in my life. It also feels like the logical next step since I will have to start a career soon anyway. I don't want to waste time in a career that isn't a good fit for me. This might sound egotistical but I want to be successful while I'm still young and to me, that means finding my purpose early on so that I can gain mastery in something. I'm pretty sure I have hang ups regarding success since society tends to glorify people who achieved a lot while they are young because success when you're young= you're ahead of the curve= you didn't make mistakes by being dumb when you are young. 

I also want a sustainable source of income as well as sustainable source of happiness and fulfillment through my work. Like I said before, I'm want to create some meaning in my life because currently my life seems rather bleak.

I have also been feeling like a blob of wasted potential for the last few years for a variety of reasons and to me, stepping into my life purpose is finding that potential. I haven't been living my life to the fullest and I believe that finding my life purpose will help me embody my values more. 

@soos_mite_ah That's a good response, and I was trying to point out that there are some things you may be unaware of that are negatively motivating your search for a life purpose. It would be better to look at those and work through them. For example, some people might have a subconscious belief that success = receiving love from their parents. Good luck to you.

@NatureB I think my thing is that finding my life purpose and getting impatient with it is coming from a place of pain. I feel like I have this deadline of being successful. I feel like I'm this blob of wasted potential. I feel like I really need stability and a grounding force for these uncertain times. I feel like I really need to have a clear idea of which way I'm headed next to feel a sense of safety, like I'm doing something with my life. I feel upset about living with my parents at this moment and I'm having trouble connecting to my pure, authentic joy, because of my home environment due to COVID. I think these are the things that are limiting me and that I need to let go of that resistance to attract my life purpose.