ivankiss

No Internal Monologue

150 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Meditation is Not stopping thinking. That's a huge mistake. Thinking cannot be stopped. Give it a try.

Speak for yourself.

Advanced Meditators can completely still their Minds and go into Samadhi. 

I can't achieve it consistently, but I do ocasionally. Keep practicing and you'll see.

Edited by Fran11

6 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Meditation is Not stopping thinking. That's a huge mistake. Thinking cannot be stopped. Give it a try. 

You don't force it to stop, you don't fight with your mind, but experiencing much less thoughts is the consequence of a proper peaceful meditation. And eventually gaining control over your mind.

You'll eventually realize it with your direct experience.

Edited by m0hsen

8 hours ago, LastThursday said:

Thought is much broader than a voice in your head. It's images, sensations, feelings, sounds, memories. In fact having a hallucinatory voice following you around is as weird as having an imaginary best friend. After all, people who supposedly "hear voices" are possibly mentally ill (they are wrong however!). 

Well yeah. In a sense; this chair in front of me is a thought, too. Not just the conceptual layer I project over it, but the actual thing. 

However; that's not what I was trying to point at in this thread. Rather just simply the inner voice, the constant narrative, that most of us have.

8 hours ago, LastThursday said:

Thinking I would say is part of any enlightenment. You only want to quiet the mind in the initial stages so that you can "get out of your own way". After that think away!

Good point. I don't see why thought should be eliminated completely. It's just God being creative.

8 hours ago, WelcometoReality said:

To try to stop thinking is simply the belief that there is an I that can stop thinking. Which is more thought. :D

Will is prior to any form of thought.

8 hours ago, WelcometoReality said:

"One cannot die only half way". Well we all try as best we can to not die all the way. 9_9

It's only natural :)

5 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

Good point. I don't see why thought should be eliminated completely. It's just God being creative.

No you don't eliminate or fight, Thoughts just won't arise anymore that much when you rest in awareness and eventually disappear! Effortlessly! 

People have hard time understanding simple stuff.

Edited by m0hsen

4 minutes ago, m0hsen said:

No you don't eliminate or fight, Thoughts just won't arise anymore that much when you rest in awareness and eventually disappear! Effortlessly! 

People have hard time understanding simple stuff.

Yup. In that sense; thought lets go of you - not the other way around.

@Nahm neurons exist. And the brain activity is responsible for every aspect of your experience. It's a whole field now into itself "neuroscience".  That has no contrast or contradiction with meditation and spirituality etc.. We should integrate science with spirituality rather then Dismissing it. You are using a gadget right now to type your comments thanks to scientific advancement. 

Also... You see I don't take these epistemic flaws for granted anymore "just because you aren't directly experiencing it.. Then it doesn't exist". If you apply that principle in your life you won't know who's shoe to put on in the morning. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

19 minutes ago, seeking_brilliance said:

It always makes me wonder how deaf people process thoughts. 

Bro, have you tried psychedelics? ;)

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

13 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

Yup. In that sense; thought lets go of you - not the other way around.

You doing nothing results in mind sinking  back to its source. Which is awareness of course, you need to realize in your direct experience how you are the source of everything including mind, thoughts etc. Its just simple activities of you. When you are not aware of this and rest in awareness is when you sleep.

Inner monologue or dialog.....yup, that's a thing, too, are only a couple of the different varieties of activity that forms the inner life. These things aren't inherently bad, wrong or negative and their absence isn't always good, right or positive although transcending them has it's benefits.

The subconscious mind spontaneously produces all sort of inner activity and to cease identifying with and endorsing it will dampen it's influence and effect while increasing the potential of limiting the subconscious mind from producing it, even eventually ceasing it. Transcending them is always available.

Edited by SOUL

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

Lol, actual you! Silence. Nothing. Awareness. 

It’s not possible to start thinking. It’s illusory. There is no thinker. There is no thinking. “Completely” is dream of a thought by ‘what’ is not knowing it is the completeness it is speaking of. Thought attachment used to be a term which pointed to this, and folks would meditate. These days it is just a lob for justification, rationalization, conceptualization, deflection, and projection, apparently. 

Sleep is like death. Distinction between direct experience & a thought is liberation, where ‘you’ find ‘your’ true nature. Lucid dreaming. 

2199BE5C-1653-408F-B213-2D7F928F3A36.gif

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

1 hour ago, ivankiss said:

Will is prior to any form of thought.

That might be the case but does the light force it's will or something else? ?

2 hours ago, Nahm said:

There is no thinker. There is no thinking.

How can you negate something that doesn't exist?

13 hours ago, tsuki said:

@ivankiss My wife has very little inner monologue and the chemical imbalance that influences her depression manifests as the inner critic.

When I inquired into how she thinks, what she does after I ask "how she thinks?", she responded that she's seeing images. Like, literally, images, imagination. This fascinated me to no end.

My understanding of the majority of people who don't have an "internal monologue" think in images. Basically, their "internal monologue" is a stream of images instead of hearing an internal voice. Being a visual thinker (in this case, an extreme case of one) does not make one enlightened. It's just another way of thinking. 

16 minutes ago, ivankiss said:

@WelcometoReality Not sure if I understand your question...

Will is the force. It flows effortlessly.

I'm just curious what the will/force is to you and how it manifests in the world.

If you get into a deep and focused alpha, or higher theta, all thoughts will naturally cease, you'll be immersed into observing without thinking, the humongous time stretching effect to the point of near non-existence is also boggling and amazing. Its a very pleasant state. Its just the present moment and nothing else. Its pure observing, you are not even aware that it is you that is observing, because you are so immersed in what is being observed, so in this sense there is no you. The moment you pull up "the you", you brake the state and will need to re-deepen it again so "the you" disappears.

Its actually not that difficult to get to this state, with enough training you can easily learn to punch trough states and get to it and probably stay for lets say, hours, probably even more, I've tested it for only couple of hours. Getting there is quite natural, there is not much fighting and struggle happening around that state, it feels effortless to be in it, all of the struggle happens around the thought noise. T

The state is actually very near to where you are now, its right behind your "personal imagination", you just have to punch trough it and get behind.

Btw you cant get out of the thought noise by thinking your way out or fighting it. You just have to notice what is going on and than focus on something that is not a thought, which is awareness.

Edited by Yog

I was doing this almost no internal monologue before I was aware it was a thing, and then somehow got into patterns of over rationalization and mental masturbation and then went out full circle again, I think...

Edited by Blackbeat
spelling